Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.2 Causes Mac Pro Shutdown When Ejecting External Hard Drives

I'm working with Apple support to fix the issue, but I figured I'd put up this post in case anyone else is experiencing this issue since updating their Mac Pro to 10.10.2. Last Friday, we updated two the three Mac Pros at our office and since then the computers shutdown (screen goes black and then the computer reboots) when we unplug or even sometimes just eject an external hard drive (we use Lacie D2s with a thunderbolt connection). I've been meticulously troubleshooting (I am a professional video editor so definitely have a decent amount of technical know how) and was on the phone with an Apple Senior Technical advisor for over an hour and couldn't find a solution. The one Mac Pro that hasn't been updated yet, has no such issue.

I have not received confirmation from Apple yet that 10.10.2 is to blame, but I can't see what else could be causing the problem. Right now I'm downloading Mavericks to check if returning to the old OS solves the issue. Please chime in in you are experiencing the same issue and hopefully Apple gets this figured out quickly.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Premiere Pro CC & DaVinci Resolve

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 1:14 PM

There are many posts of the 2103 Mac shutting down on a kernel panic after updating to 10.10.2 when they powered off a Thunderbolt drive enclosure. Ejecting the disk first did not help. It was reported for both Lacie and OWC TB enclosures. Just yesterday or so someone posted that it did not happen with a Pegasus TB enclosure.

I have not seen it reported before that it Mac shutdown/panics when the disk is just ejected.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2015 1:14 PM in response to OLMEditor

There are many posts of the 2103 Mac shutting down on a kernel panic after updating to 10.10.2 when they powered off a Thunderbolt drive enclosure. Ejecting the disk first did not help. It was reported for both Lacie and OWC TB enclosures. Just yesterday or so someone posted that it did not happen with a Pegasus TB enclosure.

I have not seen it reported before that it Mac shutdown/panics when the disk is just ejected.

Feb 7, 2015 9:45 PM in response to lllaass

Sounds Like I also have the same problem:

When I eject my eternal back up drive (Time Machine Back Up), my iMac shuts down and I have to power the iMac back up. I have never had a problem doing this before Yosemite. I only use my backup drive every couple of weeks so leaving it on the whole time and mounted will not work since I also power down my iMac.

This just recently has happened twice. I am on a brand new iMac, Yosemite 10.2.2 and have more then enough memory in my iMac. I am wondering if this is a glitch with Yosemite.

Does anyone have an idea what might be happening? Any input would be appreciated.

Feb 8, 2015 4:43 PM in response to PSPFAWILL

I also use Lacie D2 USB 3 Thunderbolt Series.

UPDATE: I backed up my main hard drive and then used a thumb drive to install an older version of Yosemite (10.10) which I found online. A little bit of a pain in the *** since I then had to reinstall all of my programs, but it solved the problem. I am back to editing multiple projects on multiple drives without worry. Hopefully Apple fixes this software issue soon, but until then I will not be updating.

Feb 22, 2015 7:30 PM in response to OLMEditor

I have this issue: I wanted to unmount some HDDs in a JBOD Thunderbay from OWC. When I dragged the drive(s) to eject (via trash dock icon), I then shut the array down (not hot swappable that I am aware) and a few seconds later, my mac then restarted with an error.

Viewing the kernel crash log in console, com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(3.1)...dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(2.7.5)...dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)

I emailed OWC and their prompt support indicated this could be an issue that Apple is aware of with its AHCI. Hopefully 10.10.3 will resolve.

They suggested that if I have to eject any tbolt attached drive, to shut down the mac, remove the drive, then restart.

10.10.2 Causes Mac Pro Shutdown When Ejecting External Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.