Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad has become disabled. We have the password but it was never connected to iTunes. How can we get back in?

Hi,

my wifes iPad is suddenly showing 'disabled - connect to iTunes'.

This should only happen if the password is entered incorrectly but this is not the case.

We have the password but no other Mac and neither has she ever connected to iTunes.

So now what?

thanks in advance

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 5:17 AM

23 replies

Feb 17, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Orgoneyes

You could try a soft-reset, but it's unlikely to make any difference if it's showing the disabled screen : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds, after which the Apple logo should appear and it should reboot.

If that doesn't work then you will have to connect it to a computer's iTunes (PC or Mac computer) in order to reset it back to factory defaults : Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support - you might have to use recovery mode, half-way down that page.

If it's never been synced to a computer, has your wife been backing up to the cloud ? If she has then she should be able to restore to that - after resetting it back to factory defaults she may have to do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content And Settings so as to get to the iOS Setup Assistant and be able to select and restore to the icloud backup.

If she hasn't been backing up then what she can redownload for free from will show in the Purchased tabs in the iTunes, App Store and iBooks apps on it.

Feb 17, 2015 9:05 AM in response to King_Penguin

Tried holding the two buttons and did receive the Apple logo after the screen went black and I pressed the power button, but nothing else. Perhaps I need to hold it for longer?

It would appear that the problem was the wi-fi keyboard that she was carrying in the same bag. It was unwittingly left on. She has months of hard work on this iPad and is none too tech-savvy, so was unable to back her files up, even though she tried many times.

Most importantly is that she is a Doctor and has over 200 patients files which are essential to her work and irreplaceable.

Cannot believe that Apple has such an basic flaw in it's systems security. Yet then again, I now remember why I abandoned Mac for Linux nine (pain free) years ago!

I am astonished that there is no solution when we have the password!

Poor, poor show, from Apple.

Feb 17, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Orgoneyes

What now shows on the iPad's screen ? The soft-reset should get the Apple logo to reappear and it should then reboot, but it's likely to end up on the same connect to iTune screen.

If she she'd never connected it to a computer's iTunes then had she not been backing it up to the cloud ? Even if she hadn't disabled her iPad it could have been stolen or been dropped and broken, she should have been backup up to a computer and/or iCloud if she content on it that she didn't want to risk losing. She could try doing an internet search for computer programmes that can recover content from a disabled / factory reset device - whether they will work with whatever app(s) she was using I don't know (I've never used one so I can't suggest any).

How to backup : Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Where to backup : Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

Feb 17, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Orgoneyes

Orgoneyes wrote:

I am astonished that there is no solution when we have the password!

Apple provided the solution with iTunes sync and backup.

The logic behind the iPad lock is that, given sufficient time, a thief can eventually stumble onto the correct password. That's why using the correct password won't work after ten failed attempts. By the way, this auto lock is not the default. It has to be configured by the owner.

Feb 17, 2015 10:00 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi King Penguin.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, after the Apple it just goes back to the 'connect to iTunes' .

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have the luxury of another computer to back up to and as mentioned, she had been unable to configure the iCloud set-up ever since they started advising her she had no space left and had to have a clear out - that was one request too far. Not everyone has a computer-minded brain and I am forbidden to touch the iPad as it is/was too precious to allow anyone to fiddle with!

Not everyone has multiple computers and sharing clients data online (so supposingly) with the Gestapo/NSA, is really not the most intelligent solution to online 'security' Lol!!!

I cannot believe we have no last-chance option to enter with the correct password. What happens if a thief does steal it, block it and then the iPad is somehow returned.... Are you saying that the thief may as well have kept the Apple device, for it is now just your tough-luck that you have to erase all your lifes work just to have the iPad switch back on again!!

As I said, I am astonished.😮

Feb 17, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Orgoneyes

It becoming disabled is working as designed, that stops a thief from keeping trying to get access until they get it right. And that's also what backups are for, if something happens to the iPad you still have a copy of its content.

If a thief had stolen it then they are likely to have reset it back to factory defaults him/herself. Whether they would then be able to re-activate and use the iPad would depend upon whether the iPad was on iOS 7+ and if it had Settings > iCloud > Find My iPad enabled on it (if it did then the thief would need the account id and its password to re-activate and use it).

Mar 2, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Being astonished doesn't help anybody. The reality is that for people who don't have English as a first, second or even third language, then mistakes are inevitable.

How can one get into a iPad which has been 'accidentally' locked when none of the 'official' solutions work?

What does one do when iTunes does not recognise the device? Furthermore, what does one do after iTunes downloaded 'update software' only to lock the device into an even deeper sleep?

In this case, the iPad initially responded when sleep/lock button was held, by showing 'slide to turn off'. Then showing a graphic with connector asking to connect to iTunes. After connecting to iTunes, a download was completed and installed. Now the iPad is as good as dead. It just shows ' iPad disabled' on a black screen and no longer responds to the lock/sleep button trick?

Seriously, Mac are dreaming ifthey think that people will just buy new devices every year. How do we know that this wasn't/isn't some back-door hack that forces idiots to buy new iPads?

Really? In 2015 Mac expect us to believe that there is no 'alternative' entry option into their OS's? The NSA, MOSSAD and GCHQ must be laughing their tits off!

So, back to the problem.......

How do we get the iPad back?

Mar 3, 2015 3:41 AM in response to King_Penguin

Ok, please bear with me and I'll try to clarify.

Haven't tried on Windows yet but last night drove half way across the city (Rio de Janeiro) in order to see two students with Mac's as Mac's are rare here. Somewhat ironically, neither of the 'twenty-something' students had ever even used the mighty iTunes! Doesn't bode well for future complaints on the Mac Forums.

On both devices iTunes detected the iPad but informed us that 'iPad is locked'.

Obviously option 1, in the Mac Support documentation is irrelevant as the iPad in question was never connected to iTunes.

Tried the iCloud option 2, 'Find my iPhone' but it merely says 'iPad is offline'.

In option 3, iTunes downloaded a file before locking the iPad into an even deeper sleep. Now we have no date displaying. Just a black screen with iPad is locked - Connect to iTunes'.

Last night we were unable to get past this screen although this morning (with no iTunes) I can once again get the cable and iTunes graphics by holding both buttons.

One question. Can we still safely connect to any iTunes or do we now have to only use the iTunes which downloaded the software last night?

Is there a risk that Mac will lock this device forever?

Thank you.

Mar 3, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Orgoneyes

aSo after making many phone calls we can find no-one tonight who has iTunes and is at home. It really would appear that Mac have made an enormous mistake by assuming that iTunes is ubiquitous.

At the moment we have a useless 10 inch paperweight which cost $3000. It used to be called an iPad. I am wondering what the current world record is for smashing a useless paperweight into the most amount of pieces?

I recall now why I left Mac..... Using 'Time machine' I (still have) stored some 600Gb of data from 2 Macbooks (circa 2007) before both Macbooks ceased to function for no apparent reason.

Time Machine - being soooo awesome and secure (lol) locked us out of all of OUR files whilst trying to access from other Macbooks. A painful amount of work and personal memories swallowed by Apple.

Saying goodbye Mac became very easy.

So here we are with this story, 2 weeks in and no solution to a locked iPad. With no solution in sight!!!!! Why do NONE of the Mac options listed on the help pages suit this situation? A forgotten wireless keyboard in a satchel with an iPad and --- Game over.

I now have my wife asking about the various Linux platforms instead of Mac

Hey.... At least somewhere on this planet there is progress!

iPad has become disabled. We have the password but it was never connected to iTunes. How can we get back in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.