Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i find code for airplay apple tv

how do i get a code for airplay for apple tv

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 6:50 AM

54 replies

Jan 3, 2017 1:37 AM in response to colinfromador

The first time I tried to use my iPhone 7 with my Apple TV (in Australia), i got a message on my phone screen, asking for the Airplay TV password.

After trying numerous passwords, consulting the internet, and getting really frustrated, I saw the box on the TV, with the passcode!

It would have made more sense for the message on my phone to say something like, "Please see your TV screen (while connected to Apple TV), for the required password! :)

I entered the 4-digit code from the TV, and my movie started mirroring/playing, on the TV--woo hoo!

Hope this helps. :)

Jan 3, 2017 1:04 PM in response to ConcertLover

Hi. You may have required the code because the Apple TV was configured that way, in Settings > Airplay. But you will also see it if you're using peer-to-peer AirPlay. This may happen when your phone and Apple TV are not on the same network. Then, the phone may locate Apple TV using Bluetooth, and will AirPlay video over a separate point-to-point WiFi channel, independent of the network.

Apr 6, 2017 1:37 PM in response to colinfromador

What a PIA. I upgraded today to Sierra 10.12.4 (I hate when everything works, and you are promoted to upgrade, and then stuff breaks on a busy day...) Anyway, I had the same issue of request for AppleTV code. Couldn't disable it; couldn't find code. Rebooted several times, both devices, Macbook Pro and Apple TV Gen 4. Nothing. Took the survey, gave it zeros, and then walked into the other room to see a four-digit code on my TV.

I think the answer is to give the survey zeros.

Apr 6, 2017 6:13 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks, Diana. What was weird was that it didn't throw the code up on the TV for several iterations. Kept coming with a "need iOS level something or other" -- which I was well past. Interesting--and helpful--to know that it was the tvOS upgrade, and not the iOS upgrade. Why the code didn't show was likely due to that perceived (but inaccurate) iOS minimum.

Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 21, 2015 12:08 AM in response to vazandrew

I am having this same issue also and I have read all the materials. Yesterday my AirPlay icon disappeared from my menu. After reading through everything on the subject, I discovered that I could not obtain the most recent iTunes update because I didn't have Yosemite, so I updated to Yosemite today. The icon has come back to the menu (although I cannot see the icon on ITunes anyplace). Both the Apple TV and my computer are on the same wifi internet and they worked fine before.

When I try to turn on the Apple TV in the AirPlay Display box, I immediately receive a box titled "AirPlay Device Password" with an instruction "Enter the AirPlay code for 'Apple TV'". I never received this notice before when using Apple TV and my computer with AirPlay. I followed the instructions in the advice given in the community postings of this conversation. I cannot even open the code to enter one--it does not behave like the instructions indicate. I tried inputting a password in the password input at the Apple TV security to see if this would work. This listed as incorrect code when input into the pop up box. In Apple TV Security I have none checked off and nothing will come up when I hit the Code line and nothing is in the password link now.

But still the same box appears whenever I click on Apple TV, either in the icon on the menu bar or the display choice in System Preferences. When the code link is chosen on the Apple TV security, the explanation box to the left mentions that IOS users have to input the user code from their device, but nothing is mentioned about a computer. It is also confusing because the Apple TV security menu has a code and a password and the pop up box for the code uses "password" in the title and "code" in the instruction line and the input box. All the same, there is nothing in the code or the password links of the Apple TV Security.

how do i find code for airplay apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.