Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force Touch trackpad stopped working

I came home this evening to find that no haptic feedback is occurring when I click with my Early 2015 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I've only had it for 3 days.

Thankfully, I can still click because I had "Tap to click" selected under System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click.

Changing Click Pressure in the same window did not turn on haptic feedback. Deselecting and selecting "Force Click and haptic feedback" did not turn it back on. I have also logged out and restarted to no avail. Even in the screen to select the user to log in as, no clicks are registering. I have to type in the first few characters of the user name I want to login as for it to even select.

Am I stuck with returning this machine?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 1:16 AM

Same here dude.

In my case I had an system error, I could not shut down properly my MacBook Pro. Just like you restart did not help at all. I had to shut it down and power it up again. After that my trackpad worked properly.

I think it was some kind of software failure, since now my trackpad works fine.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 1:16 AM in response to jbjose80

Same here dude.

In my case I had an system error, I could not shut down properly my MacBook Pro. Just like you restart did not help at all. I had to shut it down and power it up again. After that my trackpad worked properly.

I think it was some kind of software failure, since now my trackpad works fine.

Jul 19, 2018 1:16 AM in response to jbjose80

I suspect that this issue occurs after an unexpected shut down. Something to do with power and software.

Completely shut down your Macbook Pro and then power it up. (Restarting won't fix this)

If the step above did not fix your issue then most probably there is something wrong with your trackpad (hardware related issue), you will have to take it back to Apple or to the shop you bought it from, so they can have a look and repair your device.

Mar 12, 2017 9:43 PM in response to targaR32

My keypad (early 2015 MBP) stopped tracking or clicking right after I turned off the external HDMI monitor. I was getting ready to shut down for the night. I wonder why I don't get enough sleep. The tracking returned when I pulled the HDMI plug out of the socket. I'm no OS expert, but I am guessing they are polling the wrong signal someplace. And, judging from the wide range of behaviors reported, there may be multiple problems. I'm guessing HDMI is but one of them.

Jun 10, 2017 10:50 AM in response to jbjose80

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro (13 inch late 2016, non touch bar - MLL42). Today morning, all of a sudden the haptic feedback stopped working for nothing. The force touch works well but I don't have haptic feedback. It feels awkward.

This problem was happened once before but it fixed after a full shut down. This time I tried restarting and full shut down but it didn't work. Also I did reset SMC and PRAM but nothing happened. I don't know what to do.

Jul 11, 2015 7:39 AM in response to jbjose80

I'm having the same problem. I own Macbook pro 2015, "13. This is the second time the problem occurs. Some fiddling with switching between two of my accounts solved the problem first time round. But this time nothing seems to do it. I tried restarting, and i tried shutting down completely. Force touch still isn't working. I might have to take it to Apple Store, which I'd rather not do unless I absolutely have to. There is next to no threads on this subject on the web. Has anyone so far figured out what causes this to happen and how to fix it permanently?

Thanks

R.

Force Touch trackpad stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.