Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harley Davidson Boom! Box Infotainment Auto-Reply

I recently purchased a new '15 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special with the premium Boom! Box. It advertises that it will auto-reply to text messages that are received while connected to Bluetooth. I have done a little searching in the HD forums and it sounds like they are all under the impression Apple doesn't support sending SMS over BT. NOW, I'm not looking for the safety police 2 cents about texting and diving, or even texting and RIDING!!! I get it, it's dangerous...which is EXACTLY why I would like the system to auto reply for me! Is there anyone out here in Apple Land that can confirm that it is a compatibility/permissions issue, or is there something I am missing in the settings that will allow this. If there is a permissions issue, in terms of Bluetooth protocols, how is the new Apple Watch going to be capable of sms over BT?

thanks a ton!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 11:54 AM

44 replies

Mar 31, 2015 12:01 PM in response to danbyes

Contact your dealer for compatibility information and requirements.

From what's here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/compat ability.html

It looks like iOS 8 has not been tested or certified as compatible at all, much less with that feature. Not surprising, really. That's a common complaint in the auto industry. It should not be a setting or permissions issue on the phone, it's a software issue on the head unit. See if there is an update available for the Boom Box.

May 16, 2015 2:43 PM in response to danbyes

Unfortunately you can't reply to a text message while the bike is moving. I have a 2015 FLHXS too. This was done for safety. I have the same limitation in my Honda Civic. Although I haven't tried it, you should be able to do it while your stopped with your Street Glide. Many people have had complaints about getting text messaging in general to work with the new Box Box systems. I have an iPhone 5S and can't seem to get it to work. They only thing I can suggest is making sure the setup for Bluetooth related to the Boom Box itself has notifications turned on. That made the difference on my Civic. Good luck!

Jun 5, 2015 2:04 AM in response to danbyes

I Have a 2015 Road Glide with the 6.5 boom system and the SMS texting does not work at all, regardless if the bike is moving or not.It is very disappointing the auto text response feature does not work at all, especially when it's such a great feature from a safety standpoint.What better way for a company to say your not going to operate our vehicle and texted,however,if your texting devise is attached to our vehicle we will allow our system to send a preset text message automatically.Its to bad Harley Davidson is not addressing this issue, particularly when they have abandend their long time loyal customer " the biker " and started marketing the vehicle to a much different clientele.If Harley Davidson is going to advertise high tech features, and put high tech toys on their products, they dam well better be prepared to support those toys, because telling the guy/girl who just purchased the most expensive motorcycle on the planet, " it's not our problem, it's your iphone or a Harmon Kardon issue " is simple not going to fly.

I Puchased my Harley Davidson Road Glide May 30,2015, it was back to the dealer for this issue and many others related to the Boom system on June 1,2015,I got the bike back June 4,2015, during my 45 minute ride home from the dealer and I noticed 1 of the features I was requested to be fixed was still not working.After being home 20 minutes I discovered non of the things were fixed and the Boom system was still misbehaving,called the dealer and they said " we have been authorized to replace the Boom Infortainment system with a refurbished unit but we will need the bike back for 2 more days.

So lets do the math, bike goes back June 5,2015 ( today ), at best I'll get it back June 8, 2015 meaning from time purchased I had 1 full day to ride the motorcycle and it's been in the service bay for 9 days with Boom Infotainment related issues.

I Hope Harley Davidson hears this message loud and clear... I WILL NOT GIVE UP MY APPLE PRODUCT TO RIDE A HARLEY DAVIDSON !

worth noting, this is my 7th Harley Davison which I purchased the last 3 brand new, I'm 50 years old and more then likely will ride till I die, if this continues on the same path it surely will be my last Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Jun 5, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Jonfinpa

Hi Jonfinpa,

Sotry to hear you're having issues with your new Road Glide too. I was able to get my SMS to work sporadically but not since I did the software update to Boom Box version 1.19.0. That did fix a couple of issues I was having but also introduced a few new ones which intermittently affect the ability to use the GPS, use any hand controls or buttons. Previous to the update, I had been able to get it to read incoming SMS messages a few times but never auto-reply. I would be really uneasy about letting them replace the stereo because IMHO this is a software issue, not a hardware defect. From what I've seen of the last 3 software updates, they don't do much testing before they get released. I foolishly did 1.19.0 right before a long trip and had my GPS crap out right after I gassed up a few hours later. Turning my bike on and off several times didn't fix it either. When I got back on my bike after supper, it was back to working ok, but I've had a few other hiccups since then. Luckily I had Apple Maps and a cell phone holder as a backup. Don't let H-D try to tell you its an iPhone or iOS software version problem because it's not. The people testing the Boom Box software probably aren't being given adequate time to fully test it or they just have crappy programmers, not sure which. Unfortunately from what I've read, H-D really hasn't trained the dealers at all on servicing the Boom Box hardware or software so they can't confidently resolve the issue either. Not sure what else I can tell you other than be patient and hope the next software update H-D puts out fixes your issues. Best of luck!

Jun 5, 2015 8:41 AM in response to EG2008

Thanks for the reply and the post, I'm having keyboard issues where I can't even enter information because when I press the letter I need it puts up a different letter, I'm not sure just a software update is going to fix this issue, ever. It is most unfortunate for me because I decided to purchase the new Road Glide after just rebuilding the engine on my 2003 Ultra. Some of that decision was based on the technology in the Infosystem particularly the NAV which is why I purchased the special.Guess I'm stuck with it now because I'm just passed the 3 day contract cancelation protecting consumers in PA.I hope to keep this thread alive and attract others to post, if there are enough of us sqwauking,perhaps Harley Davidson will hear our call for help and do something about these issues.IM sure it's not an apple issue and more specifically not an Iphone issue.

The sqeaky wheel gets the oil so please submit your comments to this thread and let's get squeaking! The first time my NAV on my Harley fails while I'm on the road will be the last time, and the last Harley I will own.

My Garmin which hung on the handle bars of my 2003 Ultra for 5 years, over 50,000 miles,with 3 updates,never ever once failed.

Jun 26, 2015 12:06 PM in response to danbyes

Danbyes,

I also purchased a 2015 Street Glide Special. The Boom Box was a MAJOR reason for selling my 2013 and getting the SG-Special! I've been lucky that I've finally got everything working including hands free calls; EXCEPT I can't figure out how to get Auto Reply for Text Message to send. Perhaps I have a slight advantage (very slight) I also work for Apple. Now you understand my desire for the high tech Boom Box! I will try to find an internal contact at Apple to get some help understanding the issue with Text Auto Reply. I have an iPhone 6 & the Apple Watch. Both have the ability to respond with a pre-determined text message... it can't be that much more to make it an Auto Reply Text Message. More later after I do some research.

Jun 26, 2015 4:10 PM in response to RLWard

The Boom box with the stage 2 upgrade has been a complete disappointment for me so far.

THe bike has been back to service 3 times now, new firmware,new head unit, new left speaker, and it still ain't right.

J&M makes a great amp and faring speakers which is way better then the stage 2 upgrade plus it's 300 bucks cheaper.

I can't wait till a aftermarket unit is available, just saying

Jun 27, 2015 8:43 AM in response to danbyes

Update Sat. 6/27/15. I contacted Apple Technical Support and opened a case with a Senior Technical Advisor. I shared the URL for this Thread and sent copies of pages 103 through 106 of the Boom! Box 2015 H-D Owner's Manual. Interesting that his father works for a H-D dealership. We tried multiple things to see if there would be a simple fix to the non-functioning Auto Text Reply issue. Auto Reply would not work regardless if the M/C was moving or standing still. In both cases text messages were received by the bike but of course the Boom! Box would NOT display messages when moving and instead read the text messages via the speakers (which is great). But NO AUTO REPLY! By the way, the Boom! Box must use the GPS to determine if moving because text message words were displayed while at a stop with engine running and in gear. We then tried sending/receiving text messages with iMessage turned off both while moving and standing still. Those text messages were sent as SMS only. We believe iMessage is not the problem since there was NO Auto Reply with or without iMessage. After about an hour of trying multiple work around solutions we believe it must be a compatibility issue between H-D Boom! Box software and iOS 8.3. The Sr. Technical Advisor has escalated the case within Apple. We hope to have a response mid week, next week. In the mean time I am going to double check that there has not been a H-D Boom! Box software update. Just verified my bike is at Boom! Box s/w level 1.18.3 and just talked to my local dealer and found out there is a new release. I'm off to Gator HD (yes, in Florida) to get the update and will let you all know if it fixed the problem. More later...

Jun 27, 2015 8:50 AM in response to RLWard

So you've gotten farther then me for getting it to display and read the sms....I'll delete the pairing and try again today...btw you can update the Boom audio yourself, it's easy...you just need a 8Gb flash drive, no need to go the the Dealer...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/infotainment/softwa re-downloads.html

Can't wait to fix the sms reply, I'm going on long trips and It's such a huge feature to let people know your on the bike so you can't reply.

Thanks for the effort for all of us..

Aaron

Jun 27, 2015 9:12 AM in response to RLWard

I Would keep version 1.18.3 because I went to 1.19.0 and it fixed some issues but broke others with the first being as follows.

READ THIS HARLEY DAVIDSON !!!!!!!!

firmware version 1.19.0 when you access your iPhone contacts for the purpose of retrieving an address for the NAV system you have a default set for the Country field USA, the iPhone will only let us put select United States, or some other country from the list. The nav errors on the country field and you have to touch county and then enter USA, after you enter USA the rest of the address text color changes from grey to white and then the GO button can be used to engage the nav to the address, little much to go through especially if I'm rolling down the road and want to detour to a contact address from a place I'm not familiar with.

This was NOT an issue in version 1.18.xxx I'm nto sure which level of version 1.18 I was at when it worked.

Jun 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Jonfinpa

I think it would be nice if Apple would allow us to leave the Country Field blank, or Null..... But I'm almost certain that would cause an issue someware else un-be known to us. I'm sure the data has to be specific and that's why we are required to pick from the list, and for Apple ( rightfully so ) they have determined USA will be United States, and Harley Davidson or Harmon Kardon has determined USA will be USA so, the Boom system misbehaves when it receives United States for the country data, and chokes !

Harley Davidson Boom! Box Infotainment Auto-Reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.