Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not available in US app store?

I just updated my OS from Snow Leopard to Yosemite 10.10.2

The iPhoto icon has a little "no" sign on it and tells me I need to update it. When I click to have it updated, it opens the app store but it tells me that the app I'm looking for is not available in the US store. I have no idea how to fix it. I've searched for it and I can't find it in the store.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 4:18 PM

iPhoto is no longer available as of today. It's been replaced by the new Photos app that comes with 10.10.3

22 replies

May 2, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Ektorakos

Y'all should search the forum for the hundreds of posts since this one that explain the followinng:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 23, 2015 8:47 PM in response to Yer_Man

that didn't work for me. no copy exists in my purchases. maybe since it came on my computer and I never had to purchase it from iTunes store?

found another solution elsewhere that did work.

Old ToadApr 12, 2015 11:05 AM Re: iPhoto update not available in U.S. Store
Re: iPhoto update not available in U.S. Storein response to anabeal

There's a workaround/hack that will let users run iPhoto 9.5.1 and later on 10.10.3.

1 - open the iPhoto application package by Control (right) - clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents from the contextual menu.

2 - navigate to the Contents/MacOSX folder.

3 - make an alias file of the iPhoto file inside that folder and move it to the Desktop.

4 - to launch iPhoto double click on the alias file. It can be placed anywhere on the hard drive and dragged into the Dock for convenience.

Notes:

1 - the Terminal application will open and must remain open while you're using iPhoto It can be hidden so it won't get in the way.

2 - I've tested this with both iPhoto 9.5.1 and iPhoto 9.6. It does not work with earlier versions.

Thanks to user Todd Dixen for this tip.

Aug 5, 2015 7:45 PM in response to lifefastdiefun

It says iPhoto not available in your country because it it not available to purchase as new via the App Store. If someone is not running Yosemite (which a lot of people are not) and they wanted to purchase iPhoto, they would need to know that is was not available in the App Store any longer, and the message you are suggesting would make no sense to them....

Also, they didn't "replace" iPhoto with Photos. I have iPhoto, Aperture, and Photos on my Mac running Yosemite. Yes, my iPhoto library automatically got imported to Photos when I upgraded to Yosemite. So, I can go into Photos and play around. However, I am still using iPhoto as my primary photo app. It's where I import new photos, and where my Photo Stream is housed....

So, with Yosemite Photos was added. iPhoto was not replaced.

GB

Aug 17, 2015 7:05 PM in response to RKMY

I'm not sure that you will not be able to update your iPhoto app with the latest version of iPhoto. This thread centers around Yosemite, and if you are running Yosemite you cannot download a recent version of iPhoto, but you may still be able to with Mountain Lion (and I would strongly advise you to do so if you can).

Open your Mac App Store and look under Purchases and see if you have an update to iPhoto you can download. If you don't, click on the Featured tab, and type in iPhoto in the search bar to see if you can purchase the updated version of iPhoto. Again, if you can, I would strongly advise that you do. That way, if you decide later to upgrade your OS X to Yosemite, you will still have a usable version of iPhoto on your Mac.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 20, 2015 1:50 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks for your response, GB. I tried your suggestions but had no luck. There is one thing I forgot to mention in my original post. After I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (clean install) , I did not find iPhoto or any other photo app in the Applications folder. Then I added the Snow Leopard version of iPhoto from a time machine backup to the Applications folder, checked the app store for updates but it did not show any. I clicked on the iPhoto app itself that I added, and like I expected, it did not open but got a popup message for version incompatibly.

It seems strange that apple would not install any photo app at all when I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Wondering whether it is worth doing a clean install again. If it does not work, looks like the only option is to upgrade to Yosemite which I am not thrilled about based on the reviews I have seen.

RKMY

Aug 20, 2015 2:12 PM in response to RKMY

It seems strange that apple would not install any photo app at all when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Nothing strange at all. iPhoto is not part of the Operating System. When you elected to do a "clean" install you wiped your copy of the app. This has nothing to do with Apple.

Another install, "clean" or otherwise, will change nothing.

What version of iPhoto do you currently have?

iPhoto not available in US app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.