Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app crashes with IOS 8.3 after playing two songs

I just submitted this bug report to Apple:

I have a auto update smart playlist based on zero rated tracks with an album rating of 3 stars or higher. I play this playlist on random and rate the tracks as I listen to them. Since updating to iOS 8.3 the music app will play two tracks (which I have rated during the play) and upon the completion of the second track will crash or close out and return me to the iOS home screen. This is repeatable. I have music matched switched off and the playlist is freshly updated from WiFi update from my Mac.

Has anyone else experience something similar where the music app will close repeatedly after only playing a couple of songs?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 1:24 PM

Here's my experience. I had a recently played smart playlist that would auto update itself. After upgrading to 8.3, the moment I chose that playlist, the music app would exit and I could no longer start it. It would instantly crash every time. I also use Itunes Match. I went to my computer, deleted the recently played smart playlist, then recreated it. Problem solved. Cannot repro any more crashes. Using iPhone 6.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Happy Dad

Here's my experience. I had a recently played smart playlist that would auto update itself. After upgrading to 8.3, the moment I chose that playlist, the music app would exit and I could no longer start it. It would instantly crash every time. I also use Itunes Match. I went to my computer, deleted the recently played smart playlist, then recreated it. Problem solved. Cannot repro any more crashes. Using iPhone 6.

Apr 12, 2015 6:14 AM in response to Happy Dad

I Too am having these same issues, if I can even get to a smart playlist before crashing, I can play only one song before crash. I do not have music match turned on for this devise. Many times I cannot even get to a smart playlist before the app crashes. I can however play from "songs" , "albums" or " artists" via shuffle or regular play with no problems.

Hope Apple fixes this glitch ASAP!

iphone 5c

Apr 13, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Happy Dad

Hi

I'm also having all the same problems mentioned earlier, ever since my update to 8.3.

Having tried deleting "5 star" playlist, recreating and then re-syncing, does nothing!!

As per ToolMan7x6, I can play from "songs" , "albums" or " artists" via shuffle or regular play with no problems, on my iPhone 5S, but as I can't listen to the circa 3500 songs I have on my phone all day in shuffle mode, this is driving me nuts!!

Any suggestions would much be appreciated

iPhone 5c (iOS 8.3 - wish I hadn't done it!!!)

Apr 13, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Gooner2105

Narrowed it down to playlists. When I play playlists the problem occurs. Once I play artists or album the problem does not seem to happen. I have been able to recreate problem it on as well iPhone as iPad (both iOS 8.3). Music app does not seem to crash but is still active. when trying to open it it moves in screens from playlist via the music app main menu to the main iOS menu, as if the appropriate buttons are pushed automatically. It also looks that pushing one baction (shuffle or next etc.) seems to activate the problem. All in all I cannot play playlist music anymore. Also once started music via Siri the song stops playing eventually. No resolution from me yet.

Apr 13, 2015 6:37 PM in response to ToolMan7x6

The common denominator is clearly a playlist. It seems that some permutation of options in a given playlist triggers the crash. I removed just one of several playlists that I believed was the issue. It was pretty simple, based on recently played. It was using the auto-update feature. The odd thing is after I recreated the same playlist, I can't even make the app crash.

Apr 13, 2015 7:31 PM in response to stuartnc

To further test the posted theories/work arounds, I deleted all my smart playlists that also utilize live update. Re-created a smart playlist still using live update (this is an important feature I prefer not to do without). Loaded the iPhone 5c with 500 songs, chose music app, chose playlist, first song played through, a second song played through, then CRASH. Now when I choose music app, CRASH back to home screen.

This really ***** Apple, please fix!

Apr 14, 2015 5:23 AM in response to Happy Dad

My Music app initially played one or two songs now just flashes closed every time I open it. You can't uninstall-reinstall the locked native apps so what to do? I've restarted a few times and synced to the computer and nothing. So. Annoying.

And to think I actually thought: maybe I shouldn't update bc there are always so many bugs this will probably add more. Ugh.

Music app crashes with IOS 8.3 after playing two songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.