Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Boot Since Installing OS X 10.10.3

Hello All

Since installing Yosemite 10.10.3 on my MacBook Pro this morning I noticed that the boot up seems slower than usual. When I press the power button the chime sounds almost straight away then the screen stays black for about 10/15 seconds before the Apple logo appears. At this point the computer boots straight to the login screen. Everything else works fine. Previously there didn't seem to be a black screen between the chime and Apple logo. Any suggestions as to what this could be?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 2:26 AM

Open System Preferences, select Startup Disk, and make sure your internal drive is selected as the startup disk. That probably is the problem.

39 replies

Apr 13, 2015 3:51 PM in response to oliver.s

Thanks for asking this. I was a bit discouraged as I just bought a new March 2015 MacBook Pro with Touch Force trackpad. One of the reasons that I got rid of my mid-2009 MacBook Pro was that it took forever and a day to startup (like 3 minutes). After updating to 10.10.3, my new MacBook pro was taking about 5 times or more longer than out of the box to startup ... It restimulated my feelings about the old MacBook restart issues.

It seems that Apple should account for these hiccups and take care of them automatically with each update. How should we know that we need to go into settings and reset the startup disk. I just thought that I was going to have to accept a slower and slower startup with each OSX update.

Apr 13, 2015 4:06 PM in response to metaweb

This was an odd bug, even we vets were surprised by it. I only had a clue because I have a desktop with multiple boot disks and on occasion the chosen boot drive won't be available So I've seen it before. And to be fair to beta testers, if you pay attention to certain websites that have the word rumor in their name, the shipping 10.10.3 was a slightly different version from the last beta which might have been part of the issue. The recovery update might also have played a role.

Apr 17, 2015 1:23 AM in response to dwb

Thanks so much to oliver.s for thinking to ask and to dwb for the answer! Thought I was going mad as it never occurred to me a minor version update would slow down my computer so much, so I wondered what I had done to "break" it. This was easy fix and worked - back to new super-Macbook speediness now!! 🙂

Slow Boot Since Installing OS X 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.