Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 camera not working after 8.3 update

Hi guys, im experiencing camera issues after updating my OS to 8.3. Anyone else having the same issue? Rear camera is showing a black screen. Tried resetting/downloading third party camera app/force close and reopen but all doesnt work.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 4:36 AM

Same problem here! I tried to reset my phone too, but the rear camera doesn't work furthermore! The app is very slow too. iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

87 replies

Apr 14, 2015 2:15 PM in response to keithkhoo

IT was working last week, as soon as i updated the iPhone the rear camera stop working. I restore the iphone as a new one and still the same issue, the. i downgraded the firmware to ios 8.2.1.1 and the camera is working now. Seema to be that apple once again screwed an uldate and instead of solving an issue caused a new one. Hopefull they solve this issue asap, i use the camera as scanner for my job and this issue really did my day.

Apr 18, 2015 11:40 PM in response to keithkhoo

THe same thing is happening to me! I have an iPhone 5c for tmobile! I updated to iOS 8.3 when it was released and I was at a cookout taking pictures fine! I get home and nothing! Black screen! Rebooted tried the flashlight on the locked screen and worked! Unlocked it and tried using back camera and it did not work again! Just a black screen! I rans it through iTunes as new iPhone and nothing also! It was working fine and an hour later it's not working, nor flashlight or nothing! Tried opening a strobe light and said it wasn't compatible! I dunno what to do! I've tried everything! Anyone else have any ideas of knows if Apple is got a hold or is working on this issue! I use my camera a lot and this *****!

Apr 19, 2015 4:05 AM in response to keithkhoo

Since I've updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.3 my front camera doesn't work anymore! The screen is blurry and the camera app freezes as soon as I switch to front camera mode - it also won't let me switch back to the rear camera. When I leave the app by pressing the home button and open it again (but not closing it in the background) the view of the rear camera rotates 90 degrees, although I'm holding the phone straight! Very strange...!! 😕

Also the function for front camera usage is not even showing in most of my third party camera apps anymore! If it does, it doesn't work...!

I've already made sure that it's not a hardware issue by replacing the front camera and testing the same one in another iPhone 5, where it did work...!

What can I do to solve the problem or do I really have to wait until the next iOS update hoping it will fix this already known bug...?!? This is really annoying...! 😠

iPhone 5 camera not working after 8.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.