Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What’s the best way to download Aperture 3.6?

I am having a lot of problems accessing old libraries of photos. What is the best way to obtain Aperture 3.6?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 9:37 PM

21 replies

Apr 22, 2015 3:44 PM in response to waybeyondd

I'm going to assume you previously bought Aperture on the App Store. Here's how to get Aperture 3.6:

Step 1: move your current copy of Aperture to the trash

Open the Applications folder, and drag the Aperture icon to the trash. This will not delete your photos (unless you managed to put your vault in the same folder, but this would be a rather exotic and crazy setup).

Step 2: install Aperture 3.6 from the App Store

Open the App Store app. Click on the Purchased icon. Find Aperture, and click on the Install button. Aperture will be downloaded and installed.

Apple could definitely have made this easier. I got a good fright thinking I had lost my Aperture setup, like for example the ability to use plugins.

Apr 26, 2015 9:56 AM in response to cyclinoliv

I can confirm that this approach has worked on my MacBook Pro and one of my iMacs. I originally started with boxed versions (last one was 3.0) and have been upgrading ever since to 3.51.

In my App Store app under the Purchases, it said that it was downloaded April 30, 2014 with the choice to Update. When I clicked Update, nothing happened. But have a removed Aperture to the Trash, closed the App Store app, logged out and then back in, the choice had changed to Install. At that point I installed Aperture 3.6.

Clearly this is a serious bug in the App Store app for Aperture users.

Apr 29, 2015 8:40 AM in response to e2photo

Can I assume this will not work if I buy a hard copy (DVD) version of Aperture now (if I can find one), and then try to update it?

That is, having never upgraded any version of Aperture on the App Store before now, I'm not likely to be able to update a hard copy now, right?

Does anybody know what was the last version of Aperture to come out on DVD, and if there is any way to get a *legal* copy now?

-gw

Apr 29, 2015 4:45 PM in response to e2photo

Thanks! Right now I have Lion - presently trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but that is not going well.

app store error "this item is being modified"

I was just about sold on buying Lightroom 5, which would run on Lion - but then Adobe upgraded to Lightroom 6 which requires Mountain Lion. Like with Apple, there is a lot of hassle and uncertainty when you want to buy an Adobe product which is not the most recent version. As near as I can tell, Adobe does not typically offer incremental updates to it's stand-alone software, so I'd want the most recent version, anyway.

Being able to update Aperture from the box version of 3.0 to which ever is the latest version that will run on Mountain Lion would make Aperture a possibility for me, but if I can't upgrade, then it's no longer an option for me. I believe Aperture 3.4.5 should run on either Lion or Mountain Lion, and version 3.5 requires Mavericks - but I am still researching that.

I see there are still a few new Aperture 3 DVDs available on Amazon, but due to the following, I am now leaning back towards Lightroom:

- uncertainty of being able to upgrade from v3.0 (or whatever is on the DVD) to 3.4.5

- many negative reviews of Aperture on Amazon

- Aperture at end of life - this not really a deal killer for me - if I thought I could use it for a few years, and if I thought Photos will eventually mature into something worth using (I know, BIG if). Some speculate that the stand-alone version of Lightroom 6 may also be at the end of it's life, so there is a good chance that I'll have to switch to something else in a few years, anyway. Not ready to rent my software, yet.

Apr 29, 2015 7:00 PM in response to poweruser_art

Cool!

I think.

That puts Aperture back on the table for me. Which means I am no closer to making a decision about how I am going to organize my photos - (Aperture vs Lightroom vs Something Else). Maybe I will just stick with my present workflow, which is iPhoto v.9.4 plus Adobe Elements v.10, for as long as I can.

I'm not going to do anything until Apple can provide me with a Mountain Lion download - and who knows when that may be? (I recognize your name from the thread about that fiasco.)

What’s the best way to download Aperture 3.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.