Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Mail Sounds After 10.10.3 Update

My Mail 8.2 is no longer playing sounds. I've deselected Play Sounds and New Message Sound, quit and restarted Mail, reselected Sounds, restarted Mail. I've repaired permissions, power cycled computer, trashed Mail preferences plist, etc. and no change.

In Mail Preferences when I select a New Messages Sound, the verification sound will play, but it doesn't play when it's supposed to.

When logged in as Guest, Mail sounds will play, but not for about 20 seconds after the action.

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:33 PM

28 replies

Apr 18, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Raicya

Tried that suggestion, Raicya, but it did not help. Thanks for trying.

This issue only began after updating to 10.10.3. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC. I've deleted several mail and sound preferences. Repaired permissions and ran Disk Utility. Even reinstalled OS X. Nothing helps. And this only affects Mail. Everything else works fine and Sound Effects appear in all other applications as well as the Finder.

In addition, I have experienced this problem in Mail as well: Upon updating my Mac to 10.10.3, the process of moving message from my inbox to a folder is now delayed by about 1-2 seconds.

I see two other threads about this issue as well. Both issues showed up only after updating to OS 10.10.3. They are here:

Moving Messages is now Slow

Slowness when selecting mail in Inbox in 10.10.3

Apr 18, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Brent Davis

Have you try to start up de Mac in the safe mode?

FYI: I did have a problem with Safari (& Mail) after updating to 10.10.3 too, both hangs.

At that time I knew nothing is wrong with the internet connection.

It is a different problem as your problem.

I do followed Linc Davis instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6996630

I do believed that both Steps Linc Davis let me to try and and especially to start up the Mac in the safe mode has solved 50% of my problem.

Apr 18, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Brent Davis

After narrowing down the possibilities, I discovered the glitch has something to do with Notifications. Normally I keep Do Not Disturb active, and after a few tests realized that my Mail sounds now won't play when Do Not Disturb is on. When Do Not Disturb is off, they play as usual.

I've always been able to keep Do Not Disturb active without Mail sounds being affected so it's still a bug. This may be a temporary solution until it's resolved.

Check your Do Not Disturb setting in Notifications and see if it's the same for you.

Apr 18, 2015 1:38 PM in response to teknikks

I can confirm that if you turn on Do Not Disturb in Notification, Mail makes no sound when sending. I turned back on and Mail makes a sound. Note I did not have a problem with sounds before testing. For users with the problem, if turning on/off doesn't fix you might want to delete the preference file in your User's Library/Preferences folder. Log out/in after deleting THEN reset Notifications.

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Finding the User Library Folder

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0167/site/chap11.html#FindingtheUserLi braryFolder

No Mail Sounds After 10.10.3 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.