Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac crashes when previewing some jpg files

When I preview some jpg files using quicklook my Mac crashes, I get the same result when using get info on the same files. Other jpg files can be previewed without this problem. All jpg files open fine in Photoshop and can be saved with a different filename but the problem still exists with the new file. The files do not cause an issue on other iMacs. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 8:28 AM

7 replies

Apr 15, 2015 3:23 AM in response to NajamQ

That sounds like exactly the same problem. My iMac isn't a 5K, it's late 2013 (27"), I have 32GB RAM and have only noticed the issue since updating to 10.10.3 yesterday. My colleague works on a late 2012 21.5" iMac, has updated to 10.10.3 but doesn't have the problem with the same files (whether they're saved on a shared server or saved locally).

It does look as though the problem on my iMac is triggered by a combination of image resolution and file type. Smaller jpeg files are fine. After saving the files as tiffs (using Photoshop) they are fine. Saving from jpeg to tiff and back to jpeg results in the same problem as the original jpeg.

Apr 15, 2015 3:39 AM in response to makm

Absolutely correct. The same files can be accessed through any other app than Preview or Quickview in Finder.

File size is not relevant, but the type of encoding on image file is. For me a 48MB jpg file opens normally, but a 24MB jpg file gives Kernel panic, which can be opened using any other app than Preview. It's a bug with Preview app and recent OS X update.

This issue may not be so common since not everyone uses their iMac with extremely large Image files. As long as you know how the problem is produced, you can avoid it. To me Photoshop, Bridge, Photos App, Sequential (Image viewing app), Any browser... All open the files without problem.

The best bet (for now) is to wait for a solution or next Yosemite update. Otherwise it just makes you frustrated.

Apr 21, 2015 2:12 AM in response to makm

Please restart your computer in Safe mode by taking these steps:

- Click on the Apple sign() at the upper left corner of the Desktop, select 'Shut down' from a drop-down menu;

- Wait until your computer turns off, then press the Power button(⌽);

- Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift(⇧) key. It should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone;

- Release the Shift(⇧) key when you see a grey Apple sign() and the progress bar below;

This will force the system to perform several maintenance routines and load essential system software.

Once you've seen the Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors:

- Open Disk Utility application:

1. Click on Finder at the bottom of your Desktop;

2. Select Applications folder from Finder's left sidebar and then open Utilities folder (or press Command(⌘)-Shift(⇧)-U), double-click on Disk Utility icon;

- Choose your main hard drive from the left sidebar ('Macintosh HD', usually);

- Click on 'Verify Disc' at the bottom right corner, your Mac will perform a diagnostic test. Click on 'Repair Disk' if prompted to fix problems, or follow instructions given on the Disk Utility window;

- Once the routine finished, click on ""Verify Disc Permissions"", after it's done, click on 'Repair Disc Permissions';

- Wait until the process's finished and shut down your Mac, turn it back on in 30 seconds;

Try to preview images

iMac crashes when previewing some jpg files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.