Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I "Upgraded" to Yosemite and now my iTunes as well as several other files are not working. Apple wants $30 to help. What a scam.

My iTunes does not work. Apple wants $30 to offer assistance for a problem they created. HELP?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:18 PM

12 replies

Apr 18, 2015 6:35 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Download and install the OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Apr 18, 2015 6:52 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

PIETRYKA5 wrote:

My iTunes does not work. Apple wants $30 to offer assistance for a problem they created. HELP?

• What do you mean by not working?
  • Have you searched this site

if not click on Support to the Right of people - this will allow you to see other threads with same problem and solution.

• Have you searched Apple support

If not click on magnifying glass to the right of support - that search will bring up any solutions apple has.

Apr 18, 2015 8:02 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

But you aren't running Mountain Lion. You upgraded a screwed up system. Now you have on even more screwed up.

If you have Wi-Fi is it turned on on your router/modem? Are you able to do this:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Apr 19, 2015 6:42 AM in response to PIETRYKA5

PIETRYKA5 wrote:

When I click on the iTunes icon, nothing happens. When i connect my iPhone or iPod to my mac, nothing happens. When I try to get someone from Apple to help without charging me $30, Nothing happens.

As you are at Yosemite - have seen on one of the mac-magazine sites - Shutting down is an easy way to clear Yosemite problems.

Actually its an easy way to clear the click on the icon and nothing happens with Snow Leopard too.

Shutting down from the Apple menu best way as the power button may be set to only put your system to sleep (check power saver options). Shutting down clears the memory better than restarting.

Usually when an icon will not open a program - means all or part of it is still running in memory so it thinks a window will be shown. Shutting down will clear any leftover instances of that program.

Apr 19, 2015 8:03 PM in response to notcloudy

I wish it was that easy. I shut my computers down every night. I had issues with Mavericks as well and had Apple revert me back to Snow Leopard. I may revert back to Snow leo[pard once again and never again update. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If apple releases updates they should not charge $30 to help their customers who are trying to use a product they already paid for. This has wasted a lot of my time an insured that my next phone, computer or whatever will not be apple. So , for the time being, it looks like I have a useless apple computer that does not play it's own program ITunes, Most of my files that used old Java software no longer work, etc.... Thank you for your help. It should be an Apple employee who is helping me via a phone call or remote assistance, not joe public.

Apr 19, 2015 8:45 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

Apr. 2015 Niel post: Re-install iTunes application - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6990002?answerId=28055467022#28055467022 - delete the old application first, with instructions on how to do that.

A similar technique by Ben.d using Terminal to delete the application - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6985231?answerId=28036630022#28036630022 Normally you don't have to delete an old application but this time it seems to be necessary for some.

Actually both iTunes and Yosemite are free so you paid for neither.

Apr 19, 2015 9:14 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

This answer seems to have helped many other users with the same (iTunes) problem:

CunnlaApr 19, 2015 10:49 PM
Re: iTunes will not open (MBP Yosemite 10.10.3)in response to Glenn Moore

Hi,

This appears to be a bug in the Yosemite update as many people are reporting it. One temporary solution appears to be to delete iTunes first using a Terminal command and then reinstall it. See this thread. Re: iTunes 12.1.2 will not open

It may be a good idea to report it to Apple so that they will get around to fixing it. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 20, 2015 7:19 AM in response to PIETRYKA5

PIETRYKA5 wrote:

I wish it was that easy. I shut my computers down every night. I had issues with Mavericks as well and had Apple revert me back to Snow Leopard. I may revert back to Snow leo[pard once again and never again update. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If apple releases updates they should not charge $30 to help their customers who are trying to use a product they already paid for. This has wasted a lot of my time an insured that my next phone, computer or whatever will not be apple. So , for the time being, it looks like I have a useless apple computer that does not play it's own program ITunes, Most of my files that used old Java software no longer work, etc.... Thank you for your help. It should be an Apple employee who is helping me via a phone call or remote assistance, not joe public.

I stayed at Snow Leopard because my Canon printer (which is still working fine) last driver is for Snow Leopard - and my scanner at the time had to use a generic driver with OSX. -- and every update after Snow didn't seem to add anything - just seemed to have hidden costs.

I use Opera instead of Safari.

Apr 19, 2015 9:19 PM in response to PIETRYKA5

And this is what worked for me (another way to do the same thing, apparently):

Linc DavisApr 19, 2015 5:57 PM
Re: Yosemite slow opening and cannot open itunesin response to KeYeeYeKSolved

According to multiple reports on this site, Apple Support has given the following instructions to others who had a similar problem. I can't confirm that this procedure works or that it's necessary, but it won't leave you any worse off than you are now.

First, back up all data.

Select the iTunes icon in the Applications folder and open the Info window. Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner to unlock the settings.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, change the Privilege setting for each Name in the list to Read & Write. Close the window. If the settings aren't visible, click the disclosure triangle on the left so that it points down.

You should now be able to drag the iTunes application to the Trash and empty. Your iTunes data won't be affected.

Click the iTunes link at the top of this page, download the installer package and run it.

If iTunes still doesn't launch, or if you can't complete the procedure, reinstall the OS.

That answer can be found, in context, here: Re: Yosemite slow opening and cannot open itunes

I "Upgraded" to Yosemite and now my iTunes as well as several other files are not working. Apple wants $30 to help. What a scam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.