Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Google Password Required"

Anyone know how to destroy this annoying popup in Safari? It occurs often and randomly--not specifically to any action on my part.

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:17 AM

51 replies

Nov 6, 2017 6:00 PM in response to attalagal

Hello !

attalagal

For a normal working computer , if the user has configured gmail account and iCloud account , this pop should not appear .

This is due to corrupted login keychain .

There are different methods to set up login keychain , either delete corrupted login keychain from keychain access and add a new keychain .

See this article Keychain for Mac: Delete a keychain

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

See the paragraph create a new login keychain if necessary in the article .

Another method works in Mac OSX Yosemite and Mac OSX EL - Capitan .

If keychain is prompting to enter password multiple times , & pop - up is not going away when safari is opened .

Click on Go > Go to folder & type ~/Library then find a folder > keychains > remove first folder ( alfa numeric folder ) to trash . Restart & empty the trash , open system preferences go to internet accounts & once again configure web mail account , I cloud mail account by entering their passwords .

Open air port utility via spotlight > click on edit and enter your base station password .

Nov 22, 2017 2:15 AM in response to CommunerHI

Starting getting this after upgrading to High Sierra. After entering the correct password and the gmail two-step verification code the dialog was stuck forever without any error message. The solution was to delete the account in Settings > Internet Accounts by clicking the "-" button, and then re-adding it again. I do use the account for Apple Notes so just removing it is not an option for me.

Apr 21, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Eric Root

If I click "Continue" another dialog box opens asking me to enter my password, but I have not done that for fear it is a password-collection application. I entered a bogus password, but it told me that was incorrect, which is evidence that this popup is legitimate, but I don't know why it exists as I'm not doing anything with Google at the times it appears.

May 5, 2015 7:08 PM in response to CommunerHI

I'll be interested in a fix to this Google "enhancement" too. I face the same problem and use Chrome, very rarely Safari. Regardless of how many times I correctly input the password after getting the popup it will not retain it. However, if I simply choose "cancel" it appears to have no effect on mail or chat. But getting rid of the popups will be good.

May 17, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Nickg142

If you are being harassed for a Google password, it is due to a Google service that you are using, or attempting to use. Google services include but are not limited to Google Chrome, Google Calendar, Google Mail, Google Plus, Google Wallet, Google Search, Google Talk, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Earth, Google this, Google that, Google whatever. There are dozens of them.

Google's sole purpose for existing is to harvest personal information so that they can sell it. Google will infest your Mac with no end of agents, daemons, and processes to accomplish that goal, if you let it. It does so in the same manner as a "computer virus", if such a thing were to exist on a Mac, which it doesn't.

As far as I know eradicating Google from your Mac is not difficult; you just have to determine which of their services you are using and eliminate them. If you are not using Google services you will not be harassed for a password.

May 18, 2015 9:53 AM in response to John Galt

I have only Google Mail. I would have to close that account. I use the Bing search engine. The strange thing is that this box pops up no matter what I am doing if I am connected to the Internet. If it's asking me to enter my Google password, which it knows, is this a means to log where I am on the Internet and what application I'm using at that moment? If Google's "virus" is already installed, why bother?

"Don't be evil," said Google's Paul Buchheit. They must have had a good laugh over that.

"Google Password Required"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.