Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail trash not emptying in Yosemite

No matter what I do, Trash will not empty. I started with 200 messages in Trash. When I tried to delete all of them, suddenly there were 1658. I tried deleting individually, I rebuilt both Trash and the Inbox. Nothing works.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 10:17 AM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry, I had googled problems emptying Trash in Yosemite and someone had suggested that. I also rebuilt the Inbox - no change. I have gmail by the way, I should probably mention that. I haven't tried anything else besides trying to delete one by one, deleting with Command Delete as well as regular Delete, closing and opening up Mail again and rebooting my computer. Everything is ok in Gmail on the web - it's just Apple Mail that is driving me crazy.

Apr 24, 2015 5:21 PM in response to ldruce

Oh My God, you are my new favorite person. The Stephen Adams answer worked. I kept going back and checking to be sure. I'm not even going to do the second person's suggestion. If you are ever in the SF Bay Area, let me know, I owe you a drink!

Can I ask you other questions here or should I choose a different thread? I'm trying to export a Group in Contacts to Excel.

You are the best!

Mail trash not emptying in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.