Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I rename photos in new Photos app?

I recently 'updated' to Photos from iPhoto. Now I can't see how to rename groups of my pictures. E.g. when I import from qmycamera, I could select some of the imported photos and give them a common name and sequential numbering, then do the dame for another selection of photos, giving them a different name with sequential numbering. In iPhoto, I could use the "rename photos" function in the menubar Photos dropdown menu where I had options to change various things including rename with text and sequential numbering for selected groups of photos. I can't find this function anywhere in the new Photos application on Yosemite.

Can anyone steer me to the menus that do this? I can't find the info anywhere in any Photos material, even online forums etc.

In addition, there is no menubar along the top panel of the Photos pane. It's just a flat grey panel.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 15" 768SSD 16GBRAM

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:32 PM

38 replies

Sep 28, 2017 4:31 AM in response to sdrdesign

So after reading all the comments, I can see the confusion and have the answer now. People want different outcomes, and yes adding a title or comment or tag will help organise the photos within the App. But if you want to send a photo and say upload it somewhere which requires unique filenames, then the only process is to export the photos. The reason for this is they reside in a database and are not in a standard folder/filename format.

• Select the one or multiple photos within the Photo App, right-click > Get Info
  • Add a title name
  • Hit File > Export

Select 'Use Title' as file name:

• Select 'Documents' or other destination folder

You will now be able to browse the photos via the Finder and edit the filenames again if needed.

May 17, 2017 1:51 PM in response to alligator_mittens

Larry HN might have made more headway with the original poster, and others, by recognizing that the question -- which I have as well -- is how to change the title of an image in Photos, which of course was readily done in the info pane in iPhoto -- rather than pounding the virtual table and insisting that image names cannot be changed -- which is of course correct. Rudeness can take multiple forms, online ?

So, to the question, which remains: is there a simple way to change (or to create, if you prefer) the title of an image, in Photos (I have the newest version of Sierra, just installed last week) ? When I attempt to rewrite the name of an image, thus making it the title of my choice, in the info pane, I'm asked if I want to delete the image . . .

What, please, am I doing wrong ? Note that I do not wish, like the OP, to title a group of images, just a single image at a time.

Thanks in advance. Steve

May 17, 2017 2:51 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, Old Toad. Yes, that's what I was trying to do -- but apparently I was ignoring the gray italics "add a title" and instead was trying to alter the name. Duh -- and, to make it worse, I did it correctly a couple of days ago. So I think I'm okay, as long as I take my pills . . .

Thanks again. I write back when I have an actual problem !

Apr 24, 2015 5:46 PM in response to pdwr

pdwr wrote:

I recently 'updated' to Photos from iPhoto. Now I can't see how to rename groups of my pictures. E.g. when I import from qmycamera, I could select some of the imported photos and give them a common name and sequential numbering

That isn't available in the current version of Photos. Use iPhoto if you still need that feature. It is in your Applications folder.

If you failed to update it prior to updating to 10.10.3, see here: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Sep 28, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Retired Mx Man

Are you kidding me? Of all the most basic operations, photos will not even allow a picture to be renamed? It will get better? It cannot get worse. This is NOT the company that Steve Jobs created, this is John Sculley all over again. Why are we paying for a premium product and receiving sub MS quality??? Obviously Mx Man, this isn't a shot at you in any way, I am just finding myself increasing frustrated with the lack of functionality of products coming from Apple today. And this is simply stupid in the most basic sense of the word... can't rename a file, stupid.

Sep 28, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Mniel3

Of course no one here is "kidding" you - why would they

This is simply a place for experienced users to help inexperienced users - it is not a place to kid anyone and most certainly is not a place to attack people who are trying to help you

If you have a technical question then ask it politely and include complete information and you will get help - see Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

If you want to RANT and attack people please do it somewhere else - there is no need for that here

And by the way you never have been able to rename a file in iPhoto or Photos so your entire RANT is based on a totally incorrect concept - once photos are import to iPhoto or to Photos it is impossible to change the file name without corrupting the library except by exporting which you still can do the same way as before

LN

Sep 28, 2015 9:43 AM in response to LarryHN

I do believe I pointed out that I was not attacking MxMan, and I'll say again my comment was not meant to be pointed at anyone involved in this thread in any way. I very much appreciate MxMan's response (and the thread) because it answered my question.

As for my commenting on the topic of the thread, renaming files in the photos program, my comment is completely appropriate here as in direct reference the the thread topic

As for the renaming process in iPhoto, I will have to correct you. I always renamed my photos to something meaningful within the app and never had a corrupted library. But, that is truly an inappropriate conversation here, it belongs in an iPhoto thread.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

MN

Sep 28, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Mniel3

As for the renaming process in iPhoto, I will have to correct you. I always renamed my photos to something meaningful within the app and never had a corrupted library. But, that is truly an inappropriate conversation here, it belongs in an iPhoto thread.

Like your previous post you have no idea what you are posting - you have NEVER renamed a file in either iPhoto or Photos as it is not possible to do so without corrupting th library (you may have changed the title of a photo which makes no change to the file name and has nothing to do with the file - and of course you can still do that in photos too) - renaming of files can only be done during export that has not change a bit since iPhoto

And not RANTS and attacks are not appropriate here - only technical questions

LN

Sep 28, 2015 9:56 AM in response to LarryHN

Touche LN. Okay, so riddle me this. If I was never changing anything but the title (I will assume based on your comment that the title name and file name are different things) how would I accomplish this re-titling in photos?

MN

Disregard, I had been asking the wrong question all along. You have led me to the correct question and I armed with that the answer was easily found. Thank you so much for taking the time to correct me.

MN

Sep 28, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Mniel3

Very simple - in the view menu under metadata verify that title is checked and the then hover your cursor under the the thumbnail and sleect the title there and enter the title you want - or in the info window enter the title you want

see how much better things work when you ask reasonable questions rather than post attacks and RANTs - good, clear question s get prompt and simple answers - RANT and attacks wast everyone's time

LN

How can I rename photos in new Photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.