Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Haptic not working on Apple watch messages

Haptic works for phone calls but not messages on my Apple Watch sport. Tried a reset, re-pairing, spoke to apple chat and we still couldn't solve the problem. I'm awaiting a call back from an Apple advisor but just wondering if anyone else has the same issues. I have all the settings correctly set because I get a haptic tap for sketches and heartbeats but not messages. Phone calls tap me as well as the person calling showing up on home screen but I get nothing with a text. The texts do appear on the watch but only if I go into messages I'll see them.

iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 11:52 PM

43 replies

Dec 31, 2017 6:00 PM in response to gooner1969

It's December 2017 and I just got my apple Watch 3 (cellular) and I noticed when I get text messages, they show up on the watch, but the haptic does not work. After two years (since the orig. post here), I'd think that would be fixed, so I tinkered. I found that if my apple watch is connected to my iphone's bluetooth signal, my apple watch and iphone get the visual notification of text messages, but there is no haptic signal on the apple watch like I expect to get. If I my apple watch is connected to wifi or to cellular (but is out of range from my iphone's bluetooth signal, the apple watch's haptic does work when I get text messages. Also, If I lock my iphone while my apple watch is in bluetooth range, I get haptic with text messages on my apple watch.

So, it's only when my iphone is unlocked and in bluetooth range of my apple watch that my apple watch's haptic signal doesn't work. I think the watch was designed that way. Maybe this is the experience that many others have had as well?

Personally, I wish Apple would let me choose to get haptic signal whenever I want - even if I'm right next to my iphone, but at least I know what situation causes the imessage haptic signal not to work.

Regards to everyone - I hope this is helpful to others.

Dennis

Apr 25, 2015 4:24 AM in response to sachiwaschi

Hi there I have finally got mine working but yours might be a different issue to mine but try what I tried anyway as you're probably pulling your hair out like I was.

Turn off wifi and Bluetooth on any iPad you're using and sleep the iPad.

Turn off any Mac you are using too.

Close all the apps on the iPhone (double tap home button and swipe apps away).

Turn off wifi and Bluetooth on iPhone.

Turn iPhone off and back on again and then turn wifi and Bluetooth on.

Erase watch and all contents and then re pair it with the iPhone again from new.

When asked to install apps select ok and let it finish.

This worked for me.

Also make sure your phone is closed/locked and not open to receive haptic for text messages or they won't work.

This issue may not be the same for mail but its worth a try.

Turn prominent haptic on in the settings in the watch app on the iPhone, its gives a stronger buzz on your wrist.

I hope this works for you and anyone else with a similar problem.

May 3, 2015 5:38 AM in response to sachiwaschi

do either of you have tattoos and do you have the password set on your watch and if you do have the password set on your watch do you have to unlock it everytime you roll your wrist to check the time? the only reason i ask this is because i have a tattoo on my left wrist and because of this the wrist detection on my watch won't work which causes it to not send me my alerts and all. I switched to my other wrist where i have no tattoos and now i have no problems i get all my alerts heart beat sensor works great and i don't have to keep unlocking it unless i take the watch off. I was also reading something about the watches coming out of china having a haptic feedback issue.

May 3, 2015 12:00 PM in response to gooner1969

While my Apple Watch notified me (e.g., sound, and wrist tap) of emails, the iMessage was not working. After ensuring that the iPhone and Watch settings had the appropriate notifications turned on, I reset both devices (but did not unpair), as recommended in this thread.

All is working now after the simple reset.

I also bumped up the taptic, which provides a bit more force/touch on your wrist. Seems to be user preference and what gets your attention enough to lift the watch. I also upped the alerts to notify me 3 times of any unread text message (i.e., if you don't respond, it'll tap your wrist again).

Still experimenting, but if the Apple Watch serves as a 2nd display to your iPhone, then it serves the purpose well. Instead of pulling your phone out of your pocket, unlocking, and going through buttons to see emails and texts, the Watch does well to provide the same "glance" information by lifting your wrist.

May 4, 2015 2:01 AM in response to gooner1969

Its been over a week now and mine still works fine. It did take me 3 resets to actually get it working and did only work after doing everything i'd suggested. Generally it should work after a reset or re-pairing the watch and phone again. Haptic set to prominent is much better. What annoys me is you won't get watch notifications on things like whatsapp and facebook unless you have banners set to on in the phone settings and notifications do not go to the watch if your phones homescreen is open. I hope they change that banners issue in the update because I turn banners off for a reason as they are annoying on the phone.

May 5, 2015 6:26 AM in response to gooner1969

I'm having the same problem also. Mine stopped working over the weekend and did not work Saturday-Monday. I called Apple Support on Monday and a restart fixed the haptics. Then Tuesday morning it stopped working again. Another call to Apple Support, another restart. I think the problem comes and goes, I feel iMessages strongly now, but emails, Activity alerts, and other things seem rather weak - even with prominent on. Bummer that the watch is not working as expected! I really hope this isn't a daily issue!

Julie

May 9, 2015 10:52 AM in response to jubilee1818

Hi everyone,

Here is a simple thing which happened to me. Maybe you will also find it helpful.

A text came in to my phone, but I didn't receive a haptic on my wrist. So I realized I had the watch notifications on mute.

I was thinking originally to mute the sounds, but seems it may also mute the haptic, as well.

When I turned off the mute, then I wanted to test, so I sent a text message or two to myself: nothing. But that's by design! Turns out the haptic doesn't signal if you're already looking at the phone. Sending a text message to myself thus didn't signal the haptic b/c the phone was already open. Lock the phone, carry on with your day, and new messages will haptic on arrival.

One other observation: I'm in a few separate conversations by text message at the moment. Some of them haptic on arrival & some don't. The ones that do signal a haptic on arrival are the conversations from which I've already sent at least one message from the watch. To test it out, I sent a reply from the watch to the conversation that wasn't signaling the haptic on arrival and sure enough: the next reply was haptic indeed.

So, to summarize:

- unmute the watch notifications

- lock the phone & put it away

- send a text to someone from the watch

- receive a haptic on their reply

Thanks!

May 9, 2015 1:49 PM in response to sachiwaschi

I had the same problem and took my watch to the Apple store. The "geniuses" there knew absolutely nothing about the watch or it's workings, which was a surprise to me.

They finally brought out a watch that they knew was working and compared the pulse to my watch. All agreed that mine was virtually non-existent. So, they sent my watch off to repair, sort of like sending it off to "the black hole of Calcutta." Once it goes there, there's virtually no way to speak to anyone to find out how the repair is going, are they going to replace it or try to fix it, when will I get my watch back, etc.

Here's what I learned: Early failures are being replaced, albeit on Apple's timeline. Typically, that takes 3 -7 working days. I got mine back in 7 days, but only after raising quite a pronounced stink - never rude or mean, just letting them know that I wasn't going away without some useful information The Apple store manager stepped up and went to bat for me with Support, trying everything he could to get an approximate ship date. Then, finally, I got a message that my watch had been shipped to me. Now, it was a matter of waiting for it to surface at the store. It showed up at days after I turned it over to Apple and within 1 hour of arriving via FedEx..

Here's a critical piece of info: The haptic pulse will not work unless the iPhone is in locked mode. You'll still l get the message on the watch in text form, but no haptic pulse or buzz.

My hope is that this will be a fix in the next software or firmware update.

Good luck if you send your watch out for repair, and don't hesitate to be persistent in your inquiries. Squeaky wheel, etc.

Haptic not working on Apple watch messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.