Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Disconnecting

Hey guys,

So I woke up today, checked my Apple Watch and it had been 'disconnected' from my iPhone. I couldn't figure out a way to re-connect. I tried to reboot and hard reset both my iPhone and Watch but didn't do anything. I tried un-pairing the Watch from my iPhone but then couldn't re-pair. I also looked through the Apple Watch App on my iPhone and through settings on the Watch but couldn't find anything to re-connect them.

I ended up resetting the whole Watch, which meant I had to pair it all again and restore it from a backup. I was wondering if anyone knew how to re-connect them if they do ever disconnect again?

Thanks.

Watch Sport 42mm

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:54 PM

31 replies

Jan 7, 2017 8:22 PM in response to Jakealpen

My watch just started disconnecting even though my 7 plus is only a couple of feet away.

I tried cycling Bluetooth on and off. No luck.

I tried unpairing. No luck.

I reset my watch. No luck.

I factory reset my phone AND my watch. No luck.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated.

This is unacceptable performance from my Apple devices and I want it fixed!

Jun 23, 2017 11:15 PM in response to Jakealpen

Having the same issues. Did all of the tips, reset my watch and unpaired, iPhone resets , reset network settings, bluetooth, airplane mode. Even had my cable company out to check my wifi modem. It would work for awhile then off again.

Then I was thinking since my iPad connects with my phone, but not the watch and I keep seeing this Bluetooth tip, perhaps my iPad needs Bluetooth turned on? Seemed silly, but I turned Bluetooth on my iPad and connection distance has greatly improved. Distance was my issue, which kept shortening after I tried each tip. I needed to be right by my phone to have a connection. Knock on wood, so far so good. I've not seen a disconnection since.

Hopefully the the next Watch has cellular connection.

Apr 30, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Jakealpen

I am having the exact same problem. I spoke with tech support but the support person was unable to resolve the problem during a one hour phone call. I ended up pushing the reset on the watch and this worked. This is not something I want to keep doing. I had to reload credit cards into Apple Pay, re install several apps, etc. even though I used the available back up choice. Since the watch is still new, this wasn't a major problem, but now two days later, the watch has disconnected again from the iPhone. There appears to be no other way to reconnect. The manual option does not work because there is no way to get the watch to the pairing screen without doing the reset. I tried the other suggestions: turning on Airplane Mode then off again. No results. I will probably have to contact Tech support again today.

May 6, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Jakealpen

Finally stumbled upon a solution. On the Apple Watch go to Settings > General > Reset. That was the only way to get back to the pairing screen. Fortunately it did provide the option to restore from a backup. If it disconnects spontaneously again, I will try cycling Bluetooth on the iPhone before Unpairing (the latter I believe was the nuance that for some reason prevented re-pairing screen).

May 21, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Neiltyra

I had to reset mine also. I'm not sure why turning Bluetooth on and off would help someone, the watches are paired via a different screen. The Bluetooth list on my iPhone 6 does not list the watch, but it didn't list it when the watch was working I believe.

I reset the watch yesterday and let it resetup and install the update, etc.. etc... It worked for one day and now it is disconnected again.

We tried about everything before giving up. My GF and I both can not get our watch connected to our phones again. Right now they just kind of tell time and that's it.

A reset of the watch only fixes it for a matter of hours.

Apple Watch Disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.