Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticky Digital Crown

Has anyone else's digital crown developed a stickiness/stiffness?

Mine was fine for the first 4 days and turned really freely, however today it has developed a bit of resistance when turning it.

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:40 PM

Yeah it was very difficult for me to do this at first too. I've kind of just gotten used to it and do a full washdown most times after I workout-paying special attention to the digital crown to get the sweat out of there. I guess if the thing is basically waterproof a quick rinse under the faucet won't do much harm. Considering apple tells you to do that, if anything ever happens we can all just say "you told us to" 😝

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 5:40 PM in response to Claudio

Yeah it was very difficult for me to do this at first too. I've kind of just gotten used to it and do a full washdown most times after I workout-paying special attention to the digital crown to get the sweat out of there. I guess if the thing is basically waterproof a quick rinse under the faucet won't do much harm. Considering apple tells you to do that, if anything ever happens we can all just say "you told us to" 😝

Oct 22, 2017 1:08 AM in response to Apple16turtle127

I had this problem on day 2 of owning Watch 1 when it first came out. I was horrified.....tried to get Apple to exchange it ....but the answer was simple .....turn it off and run under water.

I challenged Apple stating that the Watch was not waterproof according to them...but they said it would be fine

Sure enough it works. I have done several times

see Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

enjoy

Oct 10, 2017 4:35 AM in response to richardfromthetford-mines

A sticky Digital Crown can be caused by the crown's gasket / seal / o-ring becoming dislodged.

As the part has worked loose from your Apple Watch and fallen out, contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be serviced:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

In the meantime, be sure not to expose your Apple Watch to water.

Aug 11, 2017 12:38 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Just another data point. I sent mine in for this exact problem, but the engineers reported that the watch was working to specifications and returned it to me without additional service. I called support but they said there were no additional options for me unless I wanted to try to call it an accidental damage under AppleCare+ and pay the additional fee. I think unless the crown no longer will scroll the screen they consider the crown to be working properly regardless of the amount of force required to turn it.

Oct 20, 2017 4:54 PM in response to lothos

The problem is that behind your Digital Crown there is one o-ring to seal the watch from water...The material that I suppose Apple has taken is perhaps in nytryl and this material do not tough long it come stick ..Me I have put a piece of paper behind the Crown and the o-ring take off because he was not good ..Now my Crown is turning easy..

For me it is not important because my watch won't go under water ...Me be for you it is important so your watch will be at risk in water....

Regard's

Richard

Oct 20, 2017 5:59 PM in response to richardfromthetford-mines

richardfromthetford-mines wrote:

The problem is that behind your Digital Crown there is one o-ring to seal the watch from water...The material that I suppose Apple has taken is perhaps in nytryl and this material do not tough long it come stick ..Me I have put a piece of paper behind the Crown and the o-ring take off because he was not good ..Now my Crown is turning easy..

For me it is not important because my watch won't go under water ...Me be for you it is important so your watch will be at risk in water....

Regard's

Richard

As the o-ring has come out of your Apple Watch, you should arrange service.

The component is not only important if the Apple Watch is submerged under water.

Follow the link in my previous reply to establish your available service options.

Oct 20, 2017 6:31 PM in response to Jonathan UK

For me it is not important and I do not need service from Apple...In the case I was able to discuss with Apple engineering.It will be a pleasure to explain them to wich factory to make business to repair this error..For now I do not want any help for my watch...

Regards,

Richard V. (retreated )
<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Apr 28, 2015 1:47 PM in response to lothos

Yes, I just noticed mine doing something similar today. If I haven't used the digital crown for a while, it will have resistance when first trying to turn it. After that, it works perfectly fine until it sits idle again. I'm not sure if it's bothersome enough to contact support yet, I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Sticky Digital Crown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.