Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUG: Exercise app time not showing in Activity app

First thing in the morning, I did an "OPEN" session of "indoor cycling" for 39 minutes, and while both time and calories burned shows in the Exercise app, in the Activity app, my calories burned are counted under "Move", but under "Exercise" did not count the time, still showing 0.

Is anyone else seeing this, or was it a fluke for me?

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 7:54 AM

159 replies

Apr 28, 2015 9:28 AM in response to SidGP

I've heard that the 'Exercise' ring only increases if you hit a percentage of your maximum BPM. For me, if I don't get a heart rate of 135 or more BPM, it doesn't seem to count. Workout activities don't seem to count either unless your heart rate reaches the target,

Max BPM = 220 - Age

Target Range = Max BPM * (0.70 to 0.85)

Apr 28, 2015 11:12 AM in response to hawkwood

Exercise in the activity app is only credited with movement of the wrist, this means you invariably receive no credit for the treadmill or a static cycle machine. Setting up a cycle or indoor walk activity in the workout app won't help, the only activity in the workout app that will give you a credit in the activity app if you don't move your wrist is 'other'.

Apr 28, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Are you sure about that? I don't know if I swing my arms or not, but the treadmill (when set to 'indoor walk' in the workout app) and the watch registered the exact same distance travelled ?

(and my wife showed distance in her 'workout' - but none of that hit the exercise ring)

How is it calculating speed (pace) and distance - but not registering it as exercise?

Apr 29, 2015 8:22 PM in response to hawkwood

I'm not getting credit for any exercise in the activity app. This is my 5th day of trying to get more than 4 minutes to show up and I have had no success. I just walked briskly (what the app supposedly registers along with dancing and playing with the kids) around my house for 20 min and I didn't get a single minute. I also turned on the workout app on the treadmill at the gym on my last 3 outings and it's underestimating distance by 50% and calories are about 1/3 of what is shown on the treadmill. I expected that exercise registered in the workout app would transfer over to the activity app but it does not. Very disappointing.

Apr 30, 2015 5:21 AM in response to MJKfromGA

As John-75 pointed out above, I suspect that the trigger for registering exercise for walking and running is pace. It might help to diagnose the problem if you can post your workout results - look up the workout on your iPhone and post avg pace and avg heart rate.

Yesterday, I did a 3 mile walk at an avg pace of 15'41" with an avg heart rate of 124BPM - it recorded every second of my walk as exercise. For this walk, I used the Workout app, and told it I was going to go for a 3 mile walk.

But throughout the day it did measure other movement as exercise. I noticed that running in and out of a grocery store and IKEA both registered about 10 minutes of exercise - I obviously did not launch the workout app to tell it I was going to walk into a store. Likewise, mowing the lawn yesterday afternoon registered a little over an hour in Exercise and considerable calories in Move - again I did not launch Workout app before mowing the lawn, it just recorded that activity in Activity app.

For the day yesterday, I finished with 1556 in the Move ring, 92 in the Exercise ring and 16/12 in the Stand ring. My WATCH appears to be recording everything I'm doing.

BUG: Exercise app time not showing in Activity app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.