Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my bounces so quiet?

Every time I bounce a track I've made to MP3, it's half the volume of how it sounds in Logic... I've mixed it, tried normalizing off/on, tried ramping up the output volume/master volume but nothing seems to work. Help please!!

Logic Pro X

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 3:56 AM

First make sure both your main output and your master fader are at unity (0 dB)

User uploaded file

Are you using any metering, and if so, what does it say? If not, start doing that. You should at first aim for peaks around -3 dBFS, and for an RMS value of between -20 and -12 dBFS (depends on the genre).

If Normalizing is off (it should be) then your bounce will be as loud as you hear it. However, if it sounds quiter in iTunes, then iTunes is NOT set to unity gain (which is simply setting the slider to max)

User uploaded file

Also, getting a mix "commercially" loud is not simple, brainsurgeons and rocketscientists have failed at it.

But here are some valuable resources:

First, the legendary "Lagerfeldt PDF" found here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57055

then, these pages:

Holger Lagerfeldt
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/468170-loudness-when-producing-m ixing-tips.html

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=282853#p282853

Mo Volans

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-master-a-track-in-15-minutes-or-less- -audio-24

Tarekith:
http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 3:56 AM in response to daggers4

First make sure both your main output and your master fader are at unity (0 dB)

User uploaded file

Are you using any metering, and if so, what does it say? If not, start doing that. You should at first aim for peaks around -3 dBFS, and for an RMS value of between -20 and -12 dBFS (depends on the genre).

If Normalizing is off (it should be) then your bounce will be as loud as you hear it. However, if it sounds quiter in iTunes, then iTunes is NOT set to unity gain (which is simply setting the slider to max)

User uploaded file

Also, getting a mix "commercially" loud is not simple, brainsurgeons and rocketscientists have failed at it.

But here are some valuable resources:

First, the legendary "Lagerfeldt PDF" found here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57055

then, these pages:

Holger Lagerfeldt
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/468170-loudness-when-producing-m ixing-tips.html

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=282853#p282853

Mo Volans

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-master-a-track-in-15-minutes-or-less- -audio-24

Tarekith:
http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

Apr 29, 2015 3:19 PM in response to daggers4

If you are listening to your MP3's through iTunes or another such app.. Make sure you turn off any Audio enhancements/modifiers in those apps...

In iTunes these are found in iTunes preferences/Playback tab Turn off both the Sound Enhancer and Sound Check functions, restart iTunes and then test...

Also make sure your Volume level in those apps is set correctly....

Apr 30, 2015 3:00 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

That didn't fix it unfortunately. It's nothing to do with Itunes or any of my apps, as I have a bunch of other mastered/pre-mastered tracks from other producers on there which sound fine.

I have tried adding compression and an ad limiter to the output, which makes the mix louder in logic but again doesn't affect the volume when I bounce it.

It's nothing to do with normalizing on/off either. Having the turned on makes it even more quiet.

I'm stumped, are there any other simple preferences inside Logic which might be affecting this?

May 1, 2015 3:31 AM in response to Eriksimon

That hasn't worked either.

My main output and master fader are both set at 0.

Nothing is clipping, the levels are fine, peaking in the right section.

I've put an adaptive limiter on there, which isn't clipping either.

I also used some metering, which seems to be ok.

Everything is loud and how I want it to sound in Logic. As soon as I bounce, I play it in Itunes and it sounds tame in comparison. All my other tracks in Itunes, from commercial artists to composers who have sent me only mixed tracks, are loud and the same levels as my track in Logic.

It's the most frustrating thing ever 😟

May 1, 2015 3:46 AM in response to daggers4

daggers4 wrote:

That hasn't worked either.

😕

You're welcome.

You are trying to tell me that you have done everything according to all these linked documents and articles and still you can't even get in the ballpark?

I don't know what to say anymore, except that this appears to be a problem where you may need someone beside you who can see what you do and don't.

Also, you should not expect pro results right away, mixing is not a simple skill.

It might help if you could upload your mix (or a minute of it) somewhere (soundcloud), so we could have a listen.

O and by the way, frustrations are born from unrealistic unrealized expectations. Your expectations.

May 2, 2015 6:05 AM in response to daggers4

Hey - i have this same query too, i'm new to pro logic 10, but not new to music production, i have been using Reason on a windows comp for over 10 years, just got a mac and learning how logic works, but i don't understand the volume issue

Song in logic sound fine, but when bounced or saved the volume of the song is much lower than expected, if i crank volume up in iTunes/ system yes the song is loud and sounds just like in logic, but if i play another song (even one of my own from using Reason) afterwards the track its much louder in comparison - i really don't understand this as when i import songs written earlier in Reason/ other computer volume is fine - its just is when i share/ bounce from logic to iTunes. I've shared the songs on another Mac in the house and same volume issue

Am not clear why turning up the volume in logic makes no difference to the level of volume of the track when i export/ bounce. When i use Reason the master volume determines the final output volume of a wav file, but not in Logic?

Something is determining the volume of the song in Logic when exported, and is the same regardless of the level of volume i have on the output/ master - the volume of sound is the same - am a bit perplexed really - if something is determining the level of sound on an exported track, can i just simply raise that volume?

I have looked around/ read info on the web, other people it seems have the same query, found this thread, thought i'd say 'hey'

Anyway, thanks for any input - Dax 🙂

May 2, 2015 6:20 AM in response to space dogs

Thanks Dax, this is exactly the same problem I am having.

I am starting to think it's either a bug in logic, or there is a simple preference that is automatically turned on/off which nobody has picked up on. I have friends who use logic, who have never had this problem. Yet there are so many online forums with people experiencing this issue.

May 2, 2015 7:56 AM in response to daggers4

I am starting to think it's either a bug in logic....

I think it is worth pointing out that.........

Over the years many users have reported such an issue and in every case i am aware of, where the user resolved the issue and reported back... the problem itself was found to be caused by;

1) Incorrect settings in the playback app... (The volume control for that app was set low for example)

2) Sound enhancements were being used in the playback app (Example: iTunes's Sound Check / Sound Enhancer functionality being turned on in it's preferences)

3) Playback of audio via different hardware settings (using an external audio device and the mixer for that device was incorrectly set)

4) The use of the Normalize function during bouncing in Logic .. (Uncheck it)

5) The use of Audio Routing apps on the Mac.. such as Jack or SoundFlower for example, where again, the volume setting in that app was different/lower resutling in a lower volume during playback outside of Logic.

6) Use of a 'faulty' 3rd party plugin that doesn't not function correctly during offline bouncing (Bounce in realtime to confirm)

7) User Error of some other manner... Everything from, listening to playback via different speakers/headphones/different location to simply believing it sounded different because ears and hearing changes over time!

To test....

a) Create a bounce in Logic to a standard wave file

b) Create new project

c) Drag and drop the bounced wave file into Logic's arrange window

d) Playback onside Logic and check volume levels... on exactly the same hardware/location used with Logic.

Note: This is not to say there isn't the possibility of there being a very rare bug in a version of Logic that could cause this issue but if there is such a bug, I have never come across it myself, nor have I ever come across anyone else confirming such a bug at any time in the past. It has always been proven to be one of the above mentioned problems that has been found, in the end, to be the cause.

May 2, 2015 8:00 AM in response to space dogs

Something is determining the volume of the song in Logic when exported, and is the same regardless of the level of volume i have on the output/ master - the volume of sound is the same - am a bit perplexed really - if something is determining the level of sound on an exported track, can i just simply raise that volume?

See cause #2 in my previous post......

Make sure these features in iTunes (or any similar features in any other playback app) are turned off.

May 2, 2015 8:31 AM in response to daggers4

thanks for input from people

after messing around, am finding that there is a difference in volume when i 'share to iTunes' as a m4a and 'export as aiff' quite a big difference really, so at least i am making some headway in the right direction - although it feels like i have to have the volume in Logic quite high compared with iTunes/ watching you tube etc

also, minor point, but not sure if connected, when i import a sample i used to use in Reason, the volume of the audio file when it comes into Logic is so loud it hurts my ears - anyway, early days for me, so its all trail and error

its odd really, if i could just work out the volume level i would be incredibly happy with Logic as the sound quality is spot on when the volume is turned up

🙂

Why are my bounces so quiet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.