Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is now Photos?

This is a very annoying move to take a piece of software that I *bought and just remove it from my machine. As a shareholder and customer, I am deeply displeased by this approach. Especially after being forced to 're-purchase' iPhoto after a recent OS update, and now it simply disappears.

iPhoto was however a terrible mess of a program, so I hope Photos is an improvement. Is it? Or are there better alternatives out there? Apple should stick to hardware and stop wasting time with junky overly simplified software.

Posted on May 3, 2015 1:19 PM

23 replies

May 3, 2015 1:22 PM in response to templeofdoom

Nope

Nothing has ben removed - unless of course if you did - Photo is new software in addition to everything you had - iPhoto (or Aperture) is still where it always was in your applications folder and still works the same if it is uptodate

And there is no circumstance I've seen where you are forced to repurchase anything - once you own it you can reinstall as desired (upgrades may be purchases but not reinstalling the original version)

Since you hate iPhoto I'm more sure what your tantrum is about - or why you were using it

LN

May 3, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Rysz

Nope — when I upgraded to Mavericks, iphoto was a dead icon (like it is now after the latest yosemite update), so at the time I told apple that iphoto no longer worked under the new OS and they said, "too bad, your iphoto was too old, gotta pay for the update."

So 'forced' was the wrong word, but if I wanted access to my iphoto library I had to pay for the new version. So I bought it twice.

Below an image of my iPhoto icon after the recent Yosemite update.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 1:50 PM in response to LarryHN

There aren't better alternatives to iphoto that I've found, and after using it for years, one gets stuck in the eco-system. And regardless of how poor a piece of software it was, the fact is, it's been replaced on my machine by Photos — an app I didn't necessarily want. Maybe there's a U2 album in there or something to make up for the annoyance.

May 3, 2015 1:55 PM in response to templeofdoom

Humm

You say

This is a very annoying move to take a piece of software that I *bought and just remove it from my machine

I explain

Nothing has ben removed - unless of course if you did - Photo is new software in addition to everything you had - iPhoto (or Aperture) is still where it always was in your applications folder and still works the same if it is uptodate

and you still say

the fact is, it's been replaced on my machine by Photos

Makes no sense - nothing has been removed, nothing has been replaced and as I said and you can use iPhoto exactly as you used to - guess you just like to complain

LN

May 3, 2015 2:02 PM in response to LarryHN

Is this the 'shine the apple' forum? It's ok to besmirch the glorious apple from time to time, gang.

I'm am writing to complain, and also look for alternatives.

I can't use iPhoto on my mac anymore. I upgraded the OS and now I get this icon:

User uploaded file

and iPhoto is no longer in the dock.

So, you are correct: it makes no sense.

So if you have a suggestion for a better alternative to glorious apple apps for photo management, send them my way.

May 3, 2015 3:14 PM in response to templeofdoom

What version do you have?

If you have upgrade to 9.6.1 then iPhotos will work on your Mac at Yosemite 10.10.3.

As far as besmirching the image of Apple goes, if you stick to Photos then I will say that I think it is a royal abomination to migrate an iPhone app over to the Mac line of computer and attempt to call it an improvement of anything. IMHO it is nothing more then a 'toy' and an insult to all photographers.

May 3, 2015 3:20 PM in response to templeofdoom

No "shine on Apple" here - just the facts - and the answer is marked as the answer so apparently it worked for you as it has for lots of others

and this is no place to complain since the only people here are volunteer users no different from yourself except we come by to help people use the software the way it is - not to stir up problems

suggestions - no - I like iPhoto and use it - I may not use Photos - the jury is still out on that - for suggestions on photo managements systems (Digital Asset Managers) try the DAM forum

If you want help on Photos or iPhoto then post here - if you are just whining and complaining then here's a quarter, go call someone who cares

LN

May 3, 2015 7:27 PM in response to LarryHN

Well clearly we've gotten off on the wrong foot here. I do however think there's room for complaints that involve failures on the part of apple (and it would be foolish of them not to keep at least half an eye on their own boards, whatever the official stance is). I provided apple with feedback through 'official' channels as well. Thanks again for the link, and the quarter.

iPhoto is now Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.