Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode change itself

I have an Iphone 6. After restarting my device, it has asked me for the 4 digit passcode. i have the same passcode since i have the and i never changed it until...it changed by itself. How can this happen?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 12, 2015 2:45 AM

55 replies

Mar 4, 2017 2:18 PM in response to anitasta

No.... You are not crazy!

And no.... You didn't sleep walk one night and change your passcode accidentally.

Keep In mind that people that say "can't happen" are ignorant.

Of coarse it can happen .... and did happen.

Anything can happen.

Apple is in the process of changing to a 6 digit passcode system.

I have 7 iPhones.

I recently upgraded a 5C to a 6s that requires a 6 digit passcode. Suddenly my 5C generated a new random passcode.

If you thing Apple doesn't know about this problem ...... What can I say?

Try to restore it as a new phone.

Good luck.

Bobby.

Mar 5, 2017 1:30 AM in response to anitasta

I had a six digit passcode on my iPad. I tried to use it this morning and it is asking for a four digit passcode. I have tried putting in the four digit passcode I used Pruitt to changing it to six digit code but this does not work. No one had access to it after I used it last night - (it was on my bedside table with earphones attached).

Apr 23, 2017 12:31 AM in response to anitasta

Yep it happened to me. Watching tv picked up phone that was laying next to me and passcode changed. Only fix was to erase and restore.

Big problem with the new 2 factor authentication is that to access iCloud on an erased or new phone you have to enter the six digit code that has been sent to your iPhone........my disabled recently erased inaccessible iPhone. Oh and at some point in the 2 hour process I was asked to enter my new passcode and my old passcode. Luckily my wife has an iPhone and I could get the code sent to her

Jun 15, 2017 3:58 AM in response to anitasta

This is the second time my iphone 7+ changed passcode itself. I have been used the same passcode. After a full charge overnight, I was asked for a 6-digit passcode to access my iphone. My passcode was a 7-digit number.

The exactly same thing happened last month -- I had to reinstalled the phone and everything else. A painful process.

I didn't use authentic Apple charger or cable. Not sure whether that was the culprit.

Aug 6, 2017 11:35 PM in response to anitasta

I am currently using an iPhone 7. I have been sitting in my room for the past 3 hours playing xbox, going on my phone every couple of minutes and all of a sudden my password wasn't working, at first i thought i was typing it in wrong but that wasn't the case. I was not in the settings, the only apps i used were Facebook and twitter, there was no possible way I changed my passcode, and it was in my lap the whole time so no one else could have taken it and changed it. How do all the people saying it "doesn't just happen" explain that??

Aug 21, 2017 12:27 PM in response to anitasta

This happened to my daughter's iPhone 7 today. She has always had an 8-digit passcode. I took her phone away from her yesterday for being snarky. I gave it back to her at 1:00 today and she powered it back on, typed in her 8-digit passcode and went on her way. About 20 minutes later she came back to me upset that it was asking for a 6-digit passcode, and she had no idea what to use. I had to go into recovery mode to remove the 6-digit code and then restore from an iCloud backup. I believe her when she says she did not change her passcode. She had no reason to do so. She had not even been in the device settings.

Oct 28, 2017 7:57 AM in response to btw2089

Same thing happened to me last night. Same 4 digit passcode for years and woke up this morning and it asked for a six digit passcode. I did not change or even get close to settings yesterday. So was trying a few things with no luck and randomly put 00 in front of my old 4 digit passcode and my phone unlocked. Then I went to settings and changed it back to my 4 digit and phone works fine. Hope it works for others as I was not wanting to reset my phone and lose data.

Feb 11, 2018 6:42 PM in response to anitasta

This happened to me a few months ago too. Except it was my restrictions passcode. I had used it to set something, and when I went back in it locked me out. I wasn't resetting my passcode, I was using it. And I had just used it and it worked, then a few minutes later when I tried it again, it locked me out. It was night time (late) when I was doing this. Everybody's complaint seems to be overnight (or at least most people's). A night gremlin? I know, it's a bed bug.

I have been waiting for a fix in one of their releases, but to no avail. I will have to erase my entire phone, and spend hours setting it up again. I am really fed up with having tech to be my part-time job. Where is the real convenience if it eats up hours and hours of my life?

My question is, is Apple going to do anything about this?

Feb 11, 2018 8:03 PM in response to anitasta

This happened to me a few months ago too. Except it was my restrictions passcode. I had used it to set something, and when I went back in it locked me out. I wasn't resetting my passcode, I was using it. And I had just used it and it worked, then a few minutes later when I tried it again, it locked me out. It was night time (late) when I was doing this. Everybody's complaint seems to be overnight (or at least most people's). A night gremlin? I know, it's a bed bug.

I have been waiting for a fix in one of their releases, but to no avail. I will have to erase my entire phone, and spend hours setting it up again. I am really fed up with having tech to be my part-time job. Where is the real convenience if it eats up hours and hours of my life?

My question is, is Apple going to do anything about this?

All the people that say you reset the passcode by mistake are forgetting that Apple asks you to reverify the new passcode that you entered. This would be a flag for most people that they were inadvertently resetting their passcode.

Mar 1, 2018 4:26 PM in response to heatherW2015

It just happened to me. My phone was fine on the way to school to drop off kids. Only I have phone on way back wrong code I tried again thinking my hands must be too cold nope nope nope. I get home and my old phone went from 4 code to 6!!! I didn't touch it. So did it update and then change ? Seriously I would t believe it either. But now I'm screwed

Passcode change itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.