Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new entries revert to "new event"

Just within the last few days, Calendar has begun consistently misbehaving. I create a new event, assign it to a calendar, fill in information such as time and notes. I close the editing window, the new title displays (I'm using Month View) for just a second, and then it reverts to "New Event," and everything I've entered is lost. Oddly, when I enter all the information a second time, it always seems to stay.

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to my OS (10.9.5) or to Calendar (7.0), neither via their settings nor any other way. FYI, I'm using iCloud to sync between the calendars on my MBPro and my iPhone (4S, running 7.1.2).

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 15, 2015 5:45 PM

288 replies

Mar 7, 2017 3:33 AM in response to hueyo

I don't think this is related to default calendars or On My Mac vs iCloud, nor is is fixed by upgrading. I upgraded to Sierra last month, and now the issue has been fixed for new events, but the problem still persists for editing existing events, just as it has across three OS's now...

The only reliable solution (across all devices, mobile and desktop, and across the last three OS's I've used) is to make edits in no more than one section of the event entry window at a time. If you edit more than one section of an existing event, only the last edit sticks. it doesn't matter what order you enter text vs changing the calendar... only the last entry is saved.

For instance, if you create a test event (by any method, in any view), type in "APPOINTMENT" for the event title, then enter a location in the Location field (I entered "Test"), then assign it to any calendar you want. If you're running Sierra, everything about your new test event should save just fine even though you've made edits in more than one field before saving (at least mine does). This didn't happen for me until I upgraded to Sierra, but now it does, on destop and mobile.

Now, go back into your test event, change the event title to "Appt", delete whatever you entered into the Location field, and then assign it to a different calendar. When you click out of the entry window, only the new calendar you assigned is saved (the last edit). You'll see the event title revert back to "APPOINTMENT", and you'll see the location revert back to "Test".

If you edit the calendar assignment first, and then the text, only the last text edit will save, and the calendar assignment will revert. This is what leads me to believe it's not related to the default calendar choice or the On My Mac vs iCloud issue so many other users have mentioned.

The ONLY reliable way to make sure none of your calendar data reverts is to make edits in only one field of the entry window at a time. Enter your title, then click out of the entry window to save. Then go back in and add your location, click out and save. Then finally, go back in and assign to your calendar of choice.

It's annoying for sure, but doesn't take much longer than entering everything all at once after you get used to the routine, and it works every time, and on all devices.

Mar 31, 2017 1:56 AM in response to ONEBADMANONE

This was a recurring problem for me. I am fortunate that the upgrade to Sierra solved the problem for new event where it was a major problem, and I haven't noticed the problem with editing events, but I seldom make more than one edit.

The solution I found was to copy the event before it synced to the cloud and then when it reverted to new event, delete the new event and paste the copied event which then stuck

May 15, 2015 6:08 PM in response to hueyo

I'm finding some other discussions in this forum about the same or similar problems-- some of them going back several years. One tip that didn't seem to make any difference was to go into settings and change the refresh interval. (It had been set to 15 minutes.)

One tip that does seem pertinent is that the problem only happens when you change from the default calendar, assigning the new event to a different calendar. Leave it in the default calendar, the entry remains rather than reverting to "New Event."

May 18, 2015 4:42 AM in response to hueyo

I am glad I've found this forum. I am experiencing exactly the same issue with Calendar. It probably started behaving like this from last week and it happens only on Macs not on iPhone(6), iPad (Air2) or web version. I also use OS 10.9.5 on MacPro and MBP. So at the moment I create a default calendar first then change to other calendar - really annoying. Please let me know if there is any solution. Thanks

This is what I tried - but no luck

- Refreshed Calendar

- Removed calendar preferences

- Removed iCloud account and re-loaded on Calendar

May 18, 2015 9:31 AM in response to hueyo

Edited: In rereading the above comments, I found the workaround of creating the event and then assigning it to the new calendar immensely helpful. Thank you!

This still means, however, that if I simply click on the calendar day to create the initial event, I currently have to edit it twice to fix it.

(Example:

1. Click on event day to create an event, it creates New Event in default color.
  2. Update event with $NAME, new event color/category, and all day status; event maintains color/category change but reverts the name and the all day status.
  3. Edit event again, changing name and all-day status to settings in Step 2. Changes hold.)

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's a PITA.

May 18, 2015 9:57 AM in response to yellowforsythia

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

This is the same thing that's happening to me.

I have to add it into the calendar a few times before it holds.

This is (INSERT CURSE WORD HERE) aggravating. I use the calendar ALL THE TIME as an entrepreneur and freelancer and I am just noticing it today when I start working on my MacBook Air.

I have to enter the info into the calendar, at least, twice before it holds. I deleted stuff and created lots of new Icloud storage (just in case)...all to no avail.

APPLE WHAT'S GOING ON?

May 18, 2015 6:16 PM in response to hueyo

Yes!

Same thing is happening to me. I was on the phone with Apple for 1.5 hours. I tried everything: created a new user login, tried adding calendars on peripheral devices and online thru iCloud, I even eventually reinstalled my operating system...but to no avail; the problem persists.

What I've found is that the default calendar sticks. When changing to another calendar, that's when the "revert" occurs. Also - it only happens when connected to wifi & "updating" the calendars across all devices. This makes me believe it had something to do with the server on Apple's end.

Hopefully this'll resolve soon because it's brutally annoying.

new entries revert to "new event"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.