Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The spacebar on my new 12" macbook is not working properly on the right side. Is anyone else having this problem, if so, is there a solution?

It feels like it is bottoming out on that side, i don't really know how to explain it. If I press it more towards the middle or on the left side it works fine.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 18, 2015 6:19 PM

23 replies

Aug 10, 2015 2:29 PM in response to ronsavell

I have had a couple of keys feel like they are stiff and stuck against something, more up arrow d F8-power button, space bare seems fine, but will keep trying it from different angles (i tend to hit it only from under the N & M keys, - it might be that with the new butterfly system its too long to work on a bar rather than a square and tier getting rising force from left to right not the up and down.

Aug 16, 2015 10:49 AM in response to JTuchel

I have the macbook back now. I had to send it back for a week for repairs. The spacebar is functional again. I am still unclear why it got funky in the first place, just a few months after purchase. I really baby this laptop also. If it goes bad again I'll post again. I really hope it's not just a design flaw with this new keyboard design (which I'm not really fond of, to be honest).

Sep 4, 2015 5:07 AM in response to viktit88

The new keyboard is very delicate. There is very little space between the keys and the case, and there is very little key travel. A tiny particle of dirt, dust, or a very small bread crumb can block a key partially and cause this behaviour. Compressed air may help, but there is a risk that some key caps will come off. Apple is aware of the problem and will generally waive the repair fee. Not sure what the long term solution will be...

Sep 9, 2015 4:25 PM in response to ronsavell

I purchased my 12 notebook in June, and the spacebar problem has popped up today. I spoke with Apple, and went through some diagnostics without success. Now I'm scheduled to bring in the machine in 3 days (the earliest available appointment, which seems an unreasonably long wait for what will probably be a send out for repair). Unfortunately, this does sound like a design problem, which could mean this will be a recurrent problem.

The spacebar on my new 12" macbook is not working properly on the right side. Is anyone else having this problem, if so, is there a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.