Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why are my missed calls showing on another iphone

When I receive calls the missed calls show on my wife's iphone. We both use Iphone 5S's and we use the same apple ID for icloud and purchases. But of course the numbers are different. Also the phones are on 2 different phone accounts.

Why are these two phones sharing the call log?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 22, 2015 10:50 AM

178 replies

Mar 27, 2017 5:35 PM in response to M.A.Stough

(when managing the existence in Appleworld was simple, dare I say, "It Just Worked."

And passwords used to be safe at 4 characters. Bread used to be a nickel a loaf.

Things change.

Systems get more complex. More bad guys out there with more things to compromise and steal from you.

Apple IDs have evolved, for good or bad, into personal identifiers, like a phone number. Sharing them, while absolutely possible, is neither supported or advocated.

You obviously are young in the Apple universe. If you don't know what "iTools ... free for life" means, then you have no clue what we family leaders have been managing for 10 years.

If you still begrudge a decision made by Apple almost 20 years ago... not sure what to offer.

Find a better system and use it.

Aug 20, 2017 7:10 AM in response to jedi2017

jedi2017 wrote:

I have 3 phones that are linked to same Apple ID

That is the root of your problem. Apple IDs are personal. They are not intended to be shared. If you share them all sorts of things will go wrong. You will all be able to see all of each other's texts, for example. And phone calls. And Facetime.

You can try what I suggested above, which may help with the calls, but not with other issues. You should each have a separate iCloud ID, and link them with Family Sharing to share music, apps, calendars (if you want to). Family Sharing - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2017 7:40 AM in response to atgio

atgio wrote:

A 'new' feature it seems, is really annoying the **** out of me- and I can not turn it off.

New? It's been a feature for 3 years. There are a couple of things you can try:

• On both phones, go to Settings/Phone. Tap on Calls on other devices and turn it off
  • Next, go to Settings/General/Handoff and turn it off
  • Restart your phone by turning it off, then back on
  • If that doesn't fix it, go to Settings and tap on your iCloud ID, then iCloud, and turn off iCloud Drive.

Other users have reported success with these settings; I have no direct experience.

Mar 22, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Csound1

You obviously are young in the Apple universe. If you don't know what "iTools ... free for life" means, then you have no clue what we family leaders have been managing for 10 years. Thanks for your help but the problem described by so many still lingers with many of us in our family units. I have Family Share turned on, three (now) young adults running their own iCloud IDs, and a wife sharing mine. I still get cross-talk from all of them. The solution is out there but not simply iCloud for each human with an iDevice/iCloud account because, as also stated before, Family Share is not the solution we have with 5 aliases of yesteryear (when managing the existence in Appleworld was simple, dare I say, "It Just Worked."

Mar 22, 2017 5:07 PM in response to M.A.Stough

M.A.Stough wrote:

You obviously are young in the Apple universe. If you don't know what "iTools ... free for life" means, then you have no clue what we family leaders have been managing for 10 years. Thanks for your help but the problem described by so many still lingers with many of us in our family units. I have Family Share turned on, three (now) young adults running their own iCloud IDs, and a wife sharing mine. I still get cross-talk from all of them. The solution is out there but not simply iCloud for each human with an iDevice/iCloud account because, as also stated before, Family Share is not the solution we have with 5 aliases of yesteryear (when managing the existence in Appleworld was simple, dare I say, "It Just Worked."

The system is working exactly as it was designed to work. Unfortunately, there are many users that insist on ignoring Apple's instructions and they are suffering the consequences. By the way, my first Mac had 256K of RAM.

Apr 9, 2017 4:32 PM in response to carpeyum

carpeyum wrote:

It has also been stated numerous times here why family sharing isn't good for many people. You just don't listen.

Apparently, sharing an Apple ID isn't good for many people, either. Nothing is going to be perfect for everyone. Unless and until Apple changes things, you're either going to have to deal with the fact that your recent calls will be share or your going to have to deal with whatever it is about Family Sharing your don't like or buy an Android phone and deal with whatever problems that causes. That's not a judgement on what you want. It's pointing out the current reality.

While you're working out your choice, submit your feedback to Apple.

Best of luck.

Apr 26, 2017 9:05 PM in response to Jbbttusmu

I have been dealing with this issue on and off for months.. I finally found an article that solved it.. It essentially means you have icloud "on" on one device and all the other devices have icloud turned off

Works for me because I share my account with my kids (yeah, yeah, family sharing blah blah) but the only reason they had icloud on was because i moved their contacts to their new phones that way - now they dont need icloud "on"

http://iphone-tricks.com/tutorial/3506-fix-for-recent-calls-appearing-on-another -iphone

Apr 26, 2017 9:13 PM in response to caglad

caglad wrote:

turn off "icloud" in settings for all the other devices (this worked for me because i share with my kids and they dont need icloud "on" in their settings)

It works sometimes. It may not always work.

If you have iCloud turned of on your children's devices, I hope you're finding another way to back up their devices, perhaps by using iTunes.Also, if their devices are lost or stolen, you won't have any chance of tracking them and they will be easy for the thieves to wipe and sell.

Apr 29, 2017 7:14 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Sharing iCloud is not the problem nor is the intent that all phones be owned by the same person. My company's senior staff all share one iCloud account with no problem and this doesn't happen but my calls appear on my mothers and wife's phone when they dont share that iCloud account. Similarly the Apple ID isn't the problem since we all have unique Apple ids.

Is everyone with this problem on an AT&T account?

This started when I added my mother as an ATT buddy phone.

Apr 29, 2017 7:27 PM in response to Steve Keller

This forum is about solving a problem not winning a point.

True dat.

And the only consistent answer we volunteers can offer is to refrain from sharing an Apple ID for iCloud purposes.

Short of that, the issue seems to manifest itself any number of ways. There is yet to be a single suggestion that has worked for all.

With the sheer number of variables involved, the only true solution is no shared Apple ID fr iCloud, or no iCloud features enabled on one or more of the devices.

May 6, 2017 2:55 PM in response to LACAllen

You obviously are young in the Apple universe. If you don't know what "iTools ... free for life" means, then you have no clue what we family leaders have been managing for 10 years. Thanks for your help but the problem described by so many still lingers with many of us in our family units. I have Family Share turned on, three (now) young adults running their own iCloud IDs, and a wife sharing mine. I still get cross-talk from all of them. The solution is out there but not simply iCloud for each human with an iDevice/iCloud account because, as also stated before, Family Share is not the solution we have with 5 aliases of yesteryear (when managing the existence in Appleworld was simple, dare I say, "It Just Worked).

(May.6.2017) Today, we have two (2) iPhones on the same Apple ID and this helps by collecting the iCloud "My Photo Stream" where both phones pictures are automatically synced with the shared computer "mothership" desktop iMac. Therefore, my wife and I can see the pictures we each take on our phones. Some might say, "Why...are you nuts?" But in our world this works...except for crossed/missed calls showing up on each other's iPhones. The strangeness is...that's cellular behavior, not wifi/network behavior so why is my logging getting crossed?

May 6, 2017 4:56 PM in response to M.A.Stough

Yes, the "old days" were good, when the ONLY word processor that worked on a Mac was AppleWorks. Gee, do you really want to go back to those days?

If you have no complaint regarding crossed/missed calls show up on each other's iPhones, then certainly configure your equipment the way that you wish. On the other hand, if you want things to work properly, it's necessary to configure your equipment properly.

Jul 27, 2017 8:42 AM in response to TK42I

I suggest reading the thread you posted to. First, you would learn that this is a use-to-user forum; Apple does not read it, and thus does not respond in it. You would also learn that it is not a problem, it is a feature that syncs data among all devices that share an Apple ID. So if you don't want to use this feature the easiest way is to stop sharing an Apple ID and instead use separate Apple IDs and link them using Family Sharing. There are other ways to block sharing the call log, but they are not as straightforward. They are also mentioned in the thread. What they don't do is prevent sharing Messages, calendars, notes, reminders, safari bookmarks, passwords, etc.

why are my missed calls showing on another iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.