Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone showing calls from another phone on my account.

I have an iPhone 5. There are four other phones on my account. Phone calls from one of the phones (iPhone 6) are showing on my call log. Today (for the first time) I even got a notification on my lock screen that I had 3 missed calls from someone actually calling the other phone. (It did not actually ring my phone or leave an entry in my call history this one time!)

I checked settings to make sure I had not selected this other phone number, but that particular phone number did not even appear on the list! That one phone is the only one leaving records of its calls in my call history. Since it is the only phone not listed under the iMessage setting "You can be reached by iMessage at...", I feel like this might be a possible connection to the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 26, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:03 PM

We are sharing an Apple ID. If it were not supposed to be used this way, Find My iPhone would not work.

91 replies

Jun 18, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Srwalker155210

Yes they have. And when features like iMessage came out, they freaked out. Then Continuity and hand off were added, and they freaked out again.

If your foot hurts when you hit it with a hammer, the stop hitting it with a hammer. This is not rocket science. I can't believe the idiocy of people who continue to complain when it's doing exactly what it was designed to do. YOU are the one who refuses to accept reality. STOP SHARING an ID for iCloud and the "problem" is solved. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

May 26, 2015 3:17 PM in response to KiltedTim

Just curious: Suppose, as you say, Find my iPhone was meant to be used on only one device, say my iPhone. I would never need to locate that phone when I'm sitting there holding it. If I lost the phone, the only recourse at that point is to use a different device to locate it. Therefore, there would never be a logical reason to have Find My iPhone installed on a phone. So why would anyone design it as such?

P.S. Our family of 5 has had all phones, iPads and Mac under one Apple ID for years, (extremely convenient) and never had a problem until this phone call. Therefore, if it is suddenly behaving as it was designed, has it been not operating as designed all these years until today?

May 26, 2015 3:41 PM in response to susanfog

Find my iPhone is meant to be used by one person. Not necessarily on a single device. Setting up the Find my iPhone service on another device does not in any way facilitate being able to locate your phone from that other device. You must authenticate using the account set up on the target device from within the Find my iPhone app (or from within a web browser on a computer). It does not reference the account set up on the device you're using to do the locating. Setting up the same iCloud account with Find my iPhone on multiple devices doesn't buy you anything at all except to confuse things by cross contamination of data, as you're experiencing now. Syncing call logs, etc. is an enhancement related to the Continuity features of iOS 8.

May 26, 2015 4:16 PM in response to susanfog

There's some confusion here. Find my iPhone is an intrinsic function of iOS. It does not require an app. The app is used to find an iOS device that is not the one it is installed on. In fact, you don't have to install the app at all. You can track an iPhone by logging in to https://icloud.com/find from any computer using the Apple ID that the phone is linked to. The app, if you have it, can also be used by logging in to the app using the Apple ID of the lost phone; it does not have to be the same as the Apple ID of the phone it is installed on.

As to your other problem:

This is a feature called "continuity." You can answer either phone from the other. If you don't want it go to Settings/FaceTime on each phone, turn it on if it is off, then turn off iPhone Cellular Calls. You can then leave FaceTime on or turn it off, as you desire.

For iMessages, you will have to go into Settings/Messages on each device and choose a different contact ID and sender ID.

This will work if you share an Apple ID, but it is better to get different Apple IDs, and group them using Family Sharing: Family Sharing - Apple Support which also supports Find my iPhone for all of the devices under the sharing plan.

May 26, 2015 5:22 PM in response to susanfog

Susanfog,

A new feature was added on the last update. Simply go to settings - general - handoff and suggestions - turn off. You must do this on all the devices linked to your id. Like you, I have 3 devices linked to the same appleid for Find My IPhone purposes and had no problem until this feature was added. thus will fix the issue unlike previous responses about linking ids.

May 26, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

There's not really confusion; I've been using Find My iPhone this exact way for years and had one very odd occurrence. I know it's part of iOS, etc. I was having more of a conversation with the previous helper about whether or not the phone was designed to work like he said or not....the logic of it, as it were. I know you can use other devices to find it.....geez.

I really don't want 11 different Apple ID's in one family.

May 26, 2015 8:30 PM in response to susanfog

Susanfog,

I use and share one ID as you do... I've done it for years. I also have about 10 devices with the same ID. It works for me.

I noticed the same thing with my iPhone yesterday, reflecting other device's recent call list within my Account. Let me know if the Handoff feature fixed your issue. I wonder if this occurred because the other device has the Handoff feature ON.

My phone showing calls from another phone on my account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.