Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all my Apple Watch Activity history after broken iPhone.

Is there any way to retrieve my activity history?

My iPhone 6 screen partially broke. Being proactive, I decided to unpair the apple watch from the broken phone before getting my replacement iPhone 6. Then paired my Apple Watch with the replacement iPhone 6. I had at that point started from scratch on the Apple Watch as if I just opened it from the box. All my settings were defaulted and no activity history.

I decided to restore my broken iPhone’s backup over the replacement iPhone which was a very recent backup. Then when opening the iPhone Apple Watch app, was instructed to RESET the apple watch from the Apple Watch settings app. Once I did that, I paired the apple watch with my replacement phone.

I was asked to “restore” my apple watch and I selected YES. Once I did that, it synched up with my iPhone and all my settings for my apple watch were back the way they were before, including my glance views and home screen/clock settings.

Unfortunately, zero Activity history was maintained. Is there any way to retrieve my activity history?

Apple Watch, Watch OS 1.0.1, Apple iPhone 6 iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 8:23 AM

55 replies

Oct 8, 2017 6:28 PM in response to JF

JF wrote:

Which leads me back to my original displeasure with losing all my health data. I don't think anyone argues that backups are essential. It's the fact that Apple doesn't make a big deal about "No Encryption = No Health Data". I expect more from Apple.

How big a deal should Apple make? They only tell you every time you back up to iTunes:

User uploaded file

Should a clue bat come out of your computer and hit you on the head?

Apr 19, 2017 6:05 PM in response to papjo

I did the same thing, I unpaired from the old phone, backed up icloud, then started up the new phone on that backup. I then paired the watch, select to restore backup data and yes the screen and apps are the same, but NO activity data is there. This is a serious bummer, I followed all of Apple's instructions, what happened?

Apr 27, 2017 8:03 PM in response to ATNewby

I have the exact same problem. My phone's screen just died and I can not get my health data. It is right here on my watch but Apple designed this so that its not possible for me to get the data off the watch now. So if your phone dies the data is just gone. That is a TERRIBLE DESIGN APPLE. Come on, really, that's my data on my watch and you FORCE me to PERMINANTLY DELETE the data to get the watch to work again because you defective @#$@#$ iPhone you sold me died. Apple products are consistently getting worse every year. I used to absolutely love Apple products but if they continue losing quality I'm dropping the whole suite of products.

Apr 28, 2017 10:06 AM in response to WIG1

WIG1 wrote:

I have the exact same problem. My phone's screen just died and I can not get my health data. It is right here on my watch but Apple designed this so that its not possible for me to get the data off the watch now. So if your phone dies the data is just gone. That is a TERRIBLE DESIGN APPLE.

You mean the "terrible design" that lets you automatically make an encrypted back up every night? How is it Apple's fault that you didn't take advantage of that?

Aug 8, 2017 8:13 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Quite the Apple apologist, arentcha?

Like many others, I just lost all my health data too. I'm a longtime IT guy, done about everything, and this one burned me too. I think the other guy said it well, we use Apple stuff so we don't have to read all the fine print.

I would've appreciated some kind of heads up, or at least the option to store my health data unencrypted to my local PC. It's my data, it's my PC, give me that option.

Not sure how you racked up 68,746 points, but I can't imagine it was by berating everyone that disagrees with the process.

Aug 8, 2017 8:15 AM in response to JF

JF wrote:

Not sure how you racked up 68,746 points, but I can't imagine it was by berating everyone that disagrees with the process.

Points are awarded by the original poster for posts that they believe either solved their issue or were helpful. In the event there is a post that answers the question but the OP never marks it as such, Apple may, at their discretion, mark it as recommend, thus awarding some points.

And, while we're having this friendly little chat, have you backed up your devices today?

Aug 8, 2017 8:22 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I back up daily. I have an internal backup, an external backup, and a third backup I keep offsite.

I'm a little looser with everything else, especially the phone, as 99% of it is stored in the cloud, dropbox, etc. I am religious about my photos, but I trust that to Lightroom, not the horrible Photos app.

Which leads me back to my original displeasure with losing all my health data. I don't think anyone argues that backups are essential. It's the fact that Apple doesn't make a big deal about "No Encryption = No Health Data". I expect more from Apple.

Lost all my Apple Watch Activity history after broken iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.