Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU switch causing graphics issues on my new Retina MacBook Pro 15 (Mid 2015)

Every time I open or close Lightroom 6.1 (Lightroom uses the AMD R9 card) the computer will switch from the Iris Pro card to the AMD R9 card; and there will be some weird artifacts on the screen for some seconds, then they will disappear. The artifacts are like mouse arrow trailing, some black or odd colors on some areas in the form of small squares on the LCD, etc.

If I disable the Automatic Graphics Switching on System Preferences the problem will disappear immediately. Clearly it's related to the GPU switch process. I've tested the Laptop as well with Mac OS X 10.11 DP1 and DP2 El Capitan and the problem is still there. I've tried with other GPU intensive applications like Apple Photos and the same thing will happen.

Any idea how to fix it? is Apple aware of this situation?, I've read some articles from Oct-Nov 2014 but I would have thought by this time, 6 months later the issue has been fixed, especialy with a new laptop model (2015) and the latest Yosemite fixes.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 1:32 PM

95 replies

Jan 9, 2017 4:00 AM in response to askalad

I'm in the same boat, my discreet graphics card is on the blink, crashes the moment the Nvidia GPU is called upon in iPhoto, Finder, or watching anything complicated.

I use Steveschow's version of GfxCardStatus to force it to stay in Integrated Only mode all the time. So far so good. A few users reporting months of crash-free use. Give it a go?

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

Jun 25, 2015 7:49 AM in response to logicito

I had the same problem with the mid 2015 macbook pro. I also noticed that when using the discrete card, a fine white line would appear on safari or aperture as I minimized the windows with the genie effect. I had some other issues thou like the mac wouldn't start the internal display if it was hooked up on a external monitor. Almost like if it was booting up in clam shell mode. I returned the machine and am waiting for a replacement.
At the store, the tech guy did a few test and realized something was wrong with the motherboard. He also noticed a strange overheating on just one side of the machine. So test, if you have similar problems other than just the graphic glitch when switching the cards, then it might be a hardware problem too.

Jun 25, 2015 2:20 PM in response to logicito

I Am having the same issue as well.. even when I watch video on YouTube... It will have this 0.1 sec blink with some artifact on my screen .. I already had an replacement on my MacBook pro retina 15ich 2015 ... But the same problem still affecting on the new unit that I recieve .. I tried to uni check the auto gpu switch.. But it the problem still there...

Jun 25, 2015 2:29 PM in response to johnny525

If I un-check the "Automatic Graphic Switching" option in System Preferences the problem will be gone on my MBP because there will be no more switching, the Video card will be fixed to the AMD GPU.

I definitely think this is a software problem, it was first reported last year with the older MBP 15 2014, and it's hard to believe for me that Apple hasn't fixed a Hardware problem on two notebook generations.

I think a laptop or motherboard replacement will be useless, at least on my case

Jun 26, 2015 10:26 AM in response to logicito

Hi, i have the Same problem, the blink screen, and it's like the screen is bouncing, like a little jump, even when I'm browsing the web. I did also the apple hw test, and everything is ok, my Mac is in a affiliate apple centre from 2 days, And they say that everything is ok, and they are going to call me back on Monday. Do you really think that is software problem?

Jun 28, 2015 10:57 AM in response to preassenza

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Every so often my screen will blink white, or static. It's hard to explain because it happens so fast and intermittently. I also get the jumping or bouncing when I'm using Google Chrome. It looks as if I have scrolled up and down really quickly. I cannot replicate the issue, it seems to happen at completely random times.

Jun 28, 2015 12:15 PM in response to logicito

I think you did exactly what I did here and if you are not seeing anything maybe it is not the same thing I had. Basically what I had was that I would see strange screen artifacts from time to time, not when I switched the cards thou, but when forcing use of the discrete card and let's say, opening a finder window or surfing the web. Those were very erradic. I would also see this white line on the screen when having a graphic intensive site open on safari and only when I minimized the window. It would just flash a white line for a fraction of a second. That would also happen when minimizing Aperture. Always when using the discrete card of course.

And finally my computer woudn't turn on the internal display if it was booted hooked up to an external monitor. So if you are not experiencing any of that, its for sure not the same issue. I might receive my new mac this week and will be able to tell you if I will still have any of those issues or something similar to what you have.

In any case I really find it funny the fact we see a few people talking about different gpu problems, which makes sense to think it might be a software related thingy that is causing unpredictable bugs, but not everyone complaining about the same issue. I mean if it is a software thing and everyone that has this computer is runing Yosemite 10.10.3 why just a few of us are experiencing those issues.

;T

GPU switch causing graphics issues on my new Retina MacBook Pro 15 (Mid 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.