Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule taking down my internet connection

As soon as I plug in my TC, within seconds, my internet connection is disconnected. (Note: All network device connections are wired).

Here is what I see in AirPort Utility:

User uploaded file

And here is what I see on a Windows PC:

User uploaded file

I've tried connecting directly to the AirPort Express Base, bypassing an Ethernet switch there. And directly to the Netgear gateway.

I've tested the ethernet cables.

I've tried resetting TC to factory default settings.

I've powered down all network devices and brought them back up sequentially.

And I've tried connecting several different TC's that I have, a Gen 1, Gen 3, and a Gen 4.

All that with the same outcome. Powering the gateway off and back on re-establishes the connection. Without the TC, Wi-Fi is good with both AE's functioning normally.

Any idea what's going on here? Guesses are OK.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 4:11 PM

18 replies

Jun 25, 2015 5:48 PM in response to Mike's Pad

The normal reasons for a router to pull down a network is identical IP addresses.. faulty ports.. wrong setup.

One typical set that causes issues.. and is very common..

People will plug the TC into the main router by ethernet and then setup extended wireless.. or attempt to..

The end result of this is a network loop.. and so packets go crazy around and around.. ethernet to wireless to ethernet to wireless.. a network must never close the loop.. it goes, modem==>router==>switch (whatever other stuff)==> end of the network.. it must at no place loop back on itself.

So what I need is to know everything (and I know we have been dealing with your issues now for a while.. but tracking back the info here is hard).

What is the main modem??

Is it a router?

Is the first express in bridge or router mode.. is the second express in bridge mode..

Give me the summary pages for both express. Or the TC you are using.

I've tried connecting directly to the AirPort Express Base, bypassing an Ethernet switch there. And directly to the Netgear gateway.

I've tested the ethernet cables.

I've tried resetting TC to factory default settings.

I've powered down all network devices and brought them back up sequentially.

And I've tried connecting several different TC's that I have, a Gen 1, Gen 3, and a Gen 4.

Plug in the first item. express or TC makes no difference.. and make sure it is fully working.. it must have no issues whatsoever.. before you configure and run the second device.. the second device MUST NOT Extend wireless and plug in by ethernet.. it does one or the other.. not both.

Jun 25, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Mike's Pad

Start with the modem-gateway and one TC or express.. whichever you want..

The TC or express must be in bridge mode..

ie . User uploaded file

And it must be set to create a wireless network.

User uploaded file

Then plug in the next unit.. it must be in bridge and create a wireless network.. then plug in the next unit.. and it.. surprise surprise must be in bridge and create a wireless network.

For roaming all wireless networks must have the same name and same security setup.

If you have issues.. and the network goes to pieces.. plug the unit that is causing trouble directly into the netgear and do the configuration with none of the other stuff connected.. if it still causes issues it is faulty and put it aside. Go onto the next item.

Jun 26, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Mike's Pad

I'm in a Catch-22 situation trying to set the Network to Bridge mode.

• After I plug in the TC, AirPort Utility Setup begins and one of the first prompts is for my ISP Account Name and Password to create a Network.
  • That early create a Network step fails because, in the meantime, the Gateway has disconnected from the Internet, due to the 'loop'.
  • AirPort Utility offers no provision to bypass that 'Create a Network' step to get the Network Bridge Mode setting.

So, the loop causes the Internet to become disconnected and that disconnect prevents the Network to be switched to Bridge Mode to end the loop.

Is there a way out of this? I hope so...it's making me dizzy.

Jun 27, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Good question, Bob, and I see LaPastenague has a few I've not answered.

Here is what I'm trying to get to:

User uploaded file

The above also represents what I currently have, with one exception. My existing TC is a Gen1. It has served me well but lately has been issuing "Overheating" alerts. My plan now is to retire the Gen1 and replace with either a Gen3 or a Gen4, two spares that I have. I purchased both of these spares brand new, setting them aside for the day when the Gen1 needs to be replaced. That day has come.

Up until two days ago the factory sealed shrink warp on both spares was intact. Why I can't get either one through setup, usually a breeze, is beyond me. Both immediately take my internet connection down moments after I plug them in.

I plan to try the manual setup procedure recommended above by LaPastenague unless the above informaton modifies that recommendation.

Jun 27, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Mike's Pad

Here is what I would do:

Power up the Gen 3 TC for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Temporarily, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on AirPort Express Base

Connect an Ethernet cable that you know is working from the LAN <--> port on AirPort Express Base to the WAN "O" port on the Gen 3 TC

Use the setup "wizard" to configure things

It will suggest that the TC will be setup to extend the network provided by AirPort Express Base.

Accept that suggestion and watch to insure that the second setup screen indicates that the Gen 3 TC is being set up to "extend using Ethernet"

Wait for a green light on the Gen 3 TC

Then, use AirPort Utility to access the Gen 3 TC by selecting it, and then clicking Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window and change the Network Mode to Off

Ciick Update to save the changes

Then, connect the Ethernet cable from the switch back to the LAN <--> port on AirPort Express Base (like it was before)

Connect an Ethernet cable that you know is working from the switch to the Gen 3 TC WAN port

Power cycle the entire network by powering off every device

Wait a minute

Power up the Netgear gateway and let it run for a few minutes

Power up AirPort Express Base and let it run a full minute

Power up the switch for a minute

Keep powering up other devices one at at time the same way until the entire network is back up

Check the network

Jun 27, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

Nowhere in the setup should you see a "create a network" option. That is not correct.

i accept your premise, Bob, totally, and yet here it is. Four screenshots in sequence that I get during setup: (Note: this is not using your latest proposed setup method above. I'll get to that next.)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

That last step fails because by this time, the internet connection has been dropped by the Gateway.

Jun 27, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

Out of curiosity, how did you have the Time Capsule connected to the network when you saw the screenshots that you posted above? Whatever it was, the setup wizard totally misread things.

I encountered that "create a network" prompt numerous times using three different connections:

1. Directly to the Netgear Gateway
  2. Directly to the the AE Base
  3. And to the switch

I believe the first four steps in your method made the difference. That is,

• First powering it up for a minute or two (I wasn't waiting that long);
  • Hold the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release (I was doing that but while powering up);
  • Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light (I don't think I was waiting for that); and finally
  • Temporarily, unplugging the Ethernet cable, then reconnecting it. (That I was not doing)

One or more of those steps made the difference, getting me to the proper setup prompts.

As a final note, even with your method the Internet connection was dropped if rom the Gateway immediatey after I plugged the TC in (Step 1). But, as soon as I completed your Step 12, Update, the Internet connection came back on its own, automagically. That Update included both setting the Network to Bridge Mode and setting Wireless to Off. That was the key!

Time Capsule taking down my internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.