Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing artwork after upgrading to iOS 8.4

Having updated my iPhone 5S to iOS 8.4, all the artwork for my music has disappeared on the new Music app except for the few tracks I've bought from iTunes. Anyone else having the same issue and have a way to get my artwork back onto my phone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:38 PM

Disappeared here as well. I have an iPhone 6 plus (128Gb).

Initially I was seeing the covers. Then they were gradually replaced by the empty icon with two notes.

This seems a bug in the new Music App. Apple was never able to correctly program the management of the database of tracks in the music app and this is no exception. QA is very poor nowadays. The programmers apparently cannot whip up correct algorithms.

Roberto

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 2:38 PM in response to mogzilla

Disappeared here as well. I have an iPhone 6 plus (128Gb).

Initially I was seeing the covers. Then they were gradually replaced by the empty icon with two notes.

This seems a bug in the new Music App. Apple was never able to correctly program the management of the database of tracks in the music app and this is no exception. QA is very poor nowadays. The programmers apparently cannot whip up correct algorithms.

Roberto

Jul 1, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Roberto Avanzi

After upgrading to iOS 8.4 I tried to sync my iPad Mini 2 to my iTunes library on my Mac. I had maybe 20 or 30 new songs, but after syncing they were not on my iPad. I also noticed that most of my album art was missing on my iPad. I tried syncing again and left it overnight. This morning it was still going so I had to stop it. I did get my new music and some of the album art had returned, but some of it was also wrong. I am meticulous about my tags and album art and have added a lot of it myself. So it looks like my album art was replaced when possible and if the album couldn't be found on iTunes then it was left blank. What happened to all of the album art that I added myself? Also, after turning on iCloud Music Library (which was apparently a big mistake), every single one of my playlists was duplicated. For example, I ended up with Recently Added and Recently Added1. All of my songs were in Recently Added1 and Recently Added was empty. I finally turned off iCloud Music Library and Show Apple Music. I am back to having one of each playlist, but the names all have the "1" after them. I am just hoping that when I get home and try syncing again, some of these problems will be resolved. For now I am not planning to use any of the new features of the Music app. I have nearly 20,000 songs and I want the tags and album art to be the way I have spent years making them. 😟

Jul 1, 2015 8:24 AM in response to mogzilla

I found something that worked in my case.

1. Deactivate The Apple Music service (I am not sure this plays a role)
  2. Updates iTunes as well
  3. On the music view for the local music (i.e. the music on my mac) I activate the browser view for brownies the songs (the sone with the columns above and the list below) then artwork. Clicked on "Songs" and ticked both "show artwork" and "always show".
  4. Sinced iPhone
  5. The artwork started reappearing on the iPhone. And note that I manage the music on the iPhone manually.

This is insane. There must be a hidden feature (a bad one) or a bug (well, as they say, it is not a bug, it is a feature).

Roberto

Jul 1, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Roberto Avanzi

I'm wondering if you all can help me.

On my daughter's iPad (Before the IOS 8.4 updated) my daughter could see the pictures of the songs she chosen under and the pictures of the movies (Princesses) that I assigned to the Album Covers under "Now Playing." Now that I updated to IOS 8.4, now she can't see the picture/album artwork of each song! Is there a way around this? I have a very unhappy daughter.

Thanks!!

Jul 1, 2015 7:23 PM in response to MichaloM

MichaloM wrote:

Well the good old way helped. I deleted all my music and then synced it back onto the iPhone. So I have all the artwork back, although this is a recurring problem, so I'm certain it will happen again.

yeah I feel your pain here I hate this problem too. I believe the reason iOS 8.4 has so many bugs is that iOS 9 came out and all dev testers switched to iOS 9 because they want to try out the new features, even I was like that and just left iOS 8.4 behind.

Jul 3, 2015 7:26 AM in response to mogzilla

After updating, I noticed my artwork isn't missing, it's just wrong.

Many albums are correct, many others are so so wrong.

Examples:

1. Live albums: The artwork for the song is for the album the live track's studio version was on. And even then, not even the right one
  2. Wrong artwork. Led Zeppelin II and III have artwork for Dread Zeppelin, Some songs from 'Please Please Me' have artwork for a 'Best of 1962' compilation album
  3. Compilation albums: Similar to #1. Artwork for the album the song was originally on appear, not the artwork for the compilation album.
  4. Opposite of #3: Artwork reassigned from original album to compilation. Instead of artwork for Double Fantasy, I get artwork for a John Lennon compilation.
  5. Bands where a member has gone solo: If a band member has gone solo, had a compilation album, and a song from the band is on that compilation, the artwork for the compilation appears. Example: Songs from Blind Faith have 'Best of Steve Winwood' artwork
  6. Same artist, wrong album. Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same has the artwork for Houses of the Holy Companion audio. Similar problem to #1.

As someone who is very anal about getting the correct artwork, it is very aggravating to have Apple re-do all my work and give me the wrong artwork.

I was going to go back into iTunes and replace the artwork but everything is still correct in iTunes. The problem only exists on my iPhone.

Missing artwork after upgrading to iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.