Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after 10.10.4 update, can't take Google mail online

After updating to 10.10.4, I noticed very little e-mail coming in. Though I use a couple of different accounts, most of my mail comes through my Gmail account. Finally I noticed an icon to the right of my Gmail mailbox in Apple's Mail app, and right-clicking on it I discovered that one of my choices was to take Gmail online - ergo it was currently offline. But clicking on the command to take it online did not do so. Something in the 10.10.4 update is preventing me from taking Gmail online. Anyone else seeing this?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:32 PM

Select the Advanced tab in the settings for the account and uncheck the box marked

Automatically detect and maintain account settings

Close the preferences window and save the change.

27 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sadly, whether that box is checked or not for me, I still cannot make it work. I have tried checking the box and unchecking the box. I have reconfirmed with my ISP that my POP server settings are valid and still no luck. Everything was fine in 10.10.3. Please help. As a plan B option, if it is possible to revert to 10.10.3 please let me know how to perform that downgrade. Many thanks.

Jul 1, 2015 8:18 AM in response to ahostmadsen

It was just another possibility. This was happening to me last week on several occasions where my account was blocked from unknown sign in attempts. I had to acknowledge the attempts from unknown devices so it would go online.

If the suggestions given here and other places you may have checked don't work, you might have to delete the account completely, then re add it back in. If you have trouble adding it back, use other Account instead of Google Account.

When adding an account in Mail or Internet Accounts, after filling in the first window, hold the Option Key down when you hit continue to enable you to select the type of account you want. Have your information ready such as server name, port numbers, etc.

Jul 1, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Glenn Leblanc wrote:

It was just another possibility. This was happening to me last week on several occasions where my account was blocked from unknown sign in attempts. I had to acknowledge the attempts from unknown devices so it would go online.

If the suggestions given here and other places you may have checked don't work, you might have to delete the account completely, then re add it back in. If you have trouble adding it back, use other Account instead of Google Account.

When adding an account in Mail or Internet Accounts, after filling in the first window, hold the Option Key down when you hit continue to enable you to select the type of account you want. Have your information ready such as server name, port numbers, etc.

I assume this would mean mail would have to re-download all messages again? I have 60,000 messages, perhaps 10Gb, so I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Jul 1, 2015 9:00 AM in response to ahostmadsen

Are you sure you are not over your limit? You might check at the gmail site to see exactly what you have.

Technically, messages in IMAP accounts are stored on the server, although it does copy to the mac for offline viewing. POP would download the messages to the computer fully.

You might try verifying your KeyChain to make sure you have no problems with it. Maybe delete the KeyChain passwords for the gmail account. Verify your settings are correct.

Not much else you can do, or I should say I don't have anything more to offer in solutions.

after 10.10.4 update, can't take Google mail online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.