Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 - Problems With Photo Locations

Now that I can finally get back into my iPhoto library, I'm trying to update the locations on some recent photos. With no luck!

1) On the photos that have embedded location information, I can see the location name BUT the map is blank. It makes me worry that the location data is defective. Any ideas on how I can get the map to display. (I actually DO see the correct map for a brief instant before it switches to the blank white box you can see in this screen capture)

User uploaded file

2) On the photos with no embedded location data, I usually use my web browser to search for my location using maps.google.com, then I copy and paste the place name (and address) exactly as maps.google.com shows it. Always worked in the past, will not work now! I just tried it with the location name "Parco Acquedotti Appia Antica, Via Lemonia, Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy". For kicks, I tried "Detroit, Michigan" instead - also no luck!

Anyone know what causes this in iPhoto 11, and what I could do to correct it? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:42 AM

111 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Searchcz

I am experiencing the same problem with exactly the same Locations window appearance - the red pin is at bottom left and the map area is blank despite choosing different map types. This started yesterday on my machine. I tried removing the plist to no avail. I switched to a fresh test account on the machine and the same non-location error occurs. Nothing in Console to give me a clue. Perhaps Google changed the way they deliver map data?

Jul 1, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Searchcz

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder: User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks and Yosemite, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 2:56 AM in response to Daniel Wambold

I have exactly the same problem on my iMac running 10.6.8. However, I notice that my wife's MacBook, running 10.10.4, displays the maps in iPhoto using Apple maps, not Google maps. Does this mean that anyone using an older operating system that cannot use Apple Maps has lost the map fuctions from iPhoto and possibly other iLife applications? Perhaps I will have to forsake my favourite operating system after all.

Jul 2, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Old Toad

OT:

1. Found and removed the folder for the cache.

2. No improvement (still flashes a map image, then goes blank with pin at bottom-left).

3. As expected, since creating a fresh login then a new iPhoto library yielded the same problematic behavior. Since the iPhoto '11 code base hasn't had an update recently, I am fairly sure it must be a change in the delivery of the map data from Google.

Thanks anyway.

Best,

W

Jul 2, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Searchcz

Oh, MY GOD! Just started experiencing the EXACT SAME problem yesterday, then searched Google and your post is the latest I could come across ever, one reporting exactly the same problem, the very fact seems incredible and I'm at least glad I'm not alone. My OS X is Lion, and I'm on the latest iPhoto '11 version (9.4.3). None of the suggestions (some of them originates as far back as from 2012!) helped me, including every one of list of steps mentioned by Old Toad. See my thread Re: Places work erratically. Isn't that a picture you're seeing too? Came to conclusion that it's Google's fault as they are apparently testing smth or tweaking yet again.

iPhoto 11 - Problems With Photo Locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.