Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another iOS 8.4 Bug - Touch ID Failure

Has anyone else lost Touch ID functionality after upgrading to 8.4? No longer can use Touch ID and all fingerprints have been erased after upgrade on iPhone 6+.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:58 AM

32 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:18 AM in response to ckuan

Yes, did that after upgrade. In the setting menu for "Touch ID & Passcode" all toggles for Touch ID are off and fingerprints have been erased. After trying to set up Touch ID this error message pops up:

"Failed. Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again."

After searching multiple forums, this appears to have been affecting a lot of iPhone users since iOS 8 rolled out last year.

Jul 15, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Kurt - PA

I recently began having the same issue (maybe 2 or 3 days ago, well after the last update) but in addition to loss of TouchID functionality, my home button has begun getting rather hot while the screen is off. it makes me think there may be a short somewhere within the sensors hardware, causing the software to not see the sensor and causing the heating within the button.

And, before anyone asks, I have tried powering down, soft resets, hard resets, going from backups & all the other "sure-fire" fixes that might help if it was purely software based (which I strongly doubt it is) It might not be a widespread problem affecting every (or even the majority of) iphone users, but it is happening to some of us, and hat is a problem.

Jul 15, 2015 5:37 PM in response to Philly_Phan

That is the plan, I was just checking online to see if anyone else was having similar issues (and, from this topic even existing [and others concerning hot home buttons] they are)

Part of why I posted was to have there be another recorded account of the initial posters issue. If there is some sort of hardware failure going on with some devices at this stage of the products life cycle it would only make sense to record as much about it as possible (if people just ignore it or simply take the device in without the issue being recorded anywhere, we get into that mentality of "I didn't see the issue, so it isn't there" that is so present in society)

Jul 15, 2015 5:58 PM in response to White Rice

White Rice wrote:

If there is some sort of hardware failure going on with some devices at this stage of the products life cycle it would only make sense to record as much about it as possible (if people just ignore it or simply take the device in without the issue being recorded anywhere, we get into that mentality of "I didn't see the issue, so it isn't there" that is so present in society)

That makes sense except that hardware failures are not related to the "stage of the product's life cycle." Age of each product maybe but there's no way that users can validly compile that data. The same thing can be said about hours of usage of each p;product, date/location of manufacture, environment in which the user's product is maintained, etc., etc., etc.

Jul 16, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Kurt - PA

I have the same problem here. One iPhone 6 64... I was reluctant to update and i've waited almost 3 weeks to update, wasn't happening this before. However my case is a bit differen once my fingerprints works sometimes. And sometimes he works and just moments after I use it, it just stop working. And also my phone started to reboot when connected to my car sound, witch also never happened before.

Jul 16, 2015 7:40 AM in response to GugaJedi

Connect it to iTunes on your computer and restore iOS. Set it up as New. Test it. If the problem still exists take it to an Apple store for diagnosis of your hardware problem.

If the problem is not present after restoring as New restore your backup. If the problem comes back there's corrupt data in the phone's memory. You will have to set it up as New again.

Another iOS 8.4 Bug - Touch ID Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.