Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail broken after 10.10.4 update - will not connect to Gmail

After updating to 10.10.4, Mac Mail stopped connecting to Gmail, and my own SMTP server. I have removed the accounts and re-entered them, but that does not work. It will not save my SMTP password no matter what I do.

Apple is getting too big. They're like Microsoft now. iOS 8 and Yosemite are so buggy it's wasting so much of my time.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:12 PM

18 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:14 PM in response to htmanning

The answers in a similar thread helped me: cannot connect to gmail after 10.10.4 update

I got my Gmail accounts to work by going to Mail:Preferences:Accounts:Google Mail:Advanced and checking the "Automatically detect and maintain account settings". You need to make sure to highlight the correct account. You also have to take the account Offline and then back Online.

Jul 3, 2015 8:32 AM in response to htmanning

Had the same problem and was able to fix this in two different steps:

1) Receiving Email -- Go to the Mail Preferences -> Accounts - Click on the amount in question and then Go to the Advanced Tab ... Check the Automatically Detect And Maintain Account Settings. After completing this step I was able to connect to my Gmail IMAP server and all the mail came in.

2) Sending Email -- Now that I could get my email, I still couldn't send email. A post in a different thread said to go to KeyChain and deleted all references to Gmail Passwords - both IMAp and SMTP Passwords. After doing this, go to Mail Accounts and deleted all Gmail accounts. Close Mail. Reopen Mail and then add the accounts back. Once this was completed, I was able to receive/send from all Gmail accounts.

My GUESS is that there is a bug that didn't take into consideration or know how to determine which SMTP password to use in Keychain. This likely of particular issue for those people who have done migrations from earlier OS X's or people who have added/deleted Gmail accounts multiple accounts.

Don't know is this will work for non-Gmail accounts.

YMMV, which means this will likely not work for everyone, but it did for me.

Jul 4, 2015 4:31 PM in response to uwe_wien

I tried that (removing non-working smtp servers from the list in Mail) but to no avail. What seems to have finally succeeded is to delete the entries for non working servers from the keychain (the "smtp.gmail.com" entries) and then re-enter the password for those smtp servers in Mail.

I did notice some old and/or incorrect password entries for the faulty smtp servers in keychain, my guess is that the upgrade caused Mail to loose track of which keychain entry it should be using. I had a good cleanout and all seems to be well.

Jul 7, 2015 11:18 PM in response to celticred

Even after removing all smtp.gmail keychain items for my account, Mail still wouldn't retain the SMTP password. I deleted / recreated the account, same problem. What I ended up doing was ignoring the Mail account preferences entirely and manually creating a new keychain item for smtp.gmail with the correct password. My outbox cleared immediately.

How ironic that one of the items in the 10.10.4 release notes is "Resolves an issue that could delay outgoing email messages in Mail."

Mac Mail broken after 10.10.4 update - will not connect to Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.