Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.4 Keyboard not working after sleep (mac min)i

After the 10.10.4 upgrade I thought my computer will no longer wake up from sleep without a hard boot (kill from power button and then start up again). After all basic repairing of permissions, resetting nvram and SMC I turned power saving off hoping the computer would work as long as it does not sleep (it does).

Looking further into the issue I noticed that by quickly pressing the power button I can get it to wake up, only I can't enter my password on the login form. I took a wireless Microsoft media keyboard from another system and tested with it and it works.

So basically, since 10.10.4 my Apple USB keyboard does not work after sleep until the computer is completely restarted. With a quick google search I find others that have the same issue and all of them seem to have a previous gen Mac Mini like me.

specs (unchanged from before)

Mac Mini I7 (quad core)

16GB ram

1TB Sandisk Extreme SSD

Nec Spectraview display

Apple USB keyboard (A1243 EMC No: 2171 probably older gen)

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:13 AM

BugReporter

<http://bugreporter.apple.com>

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter.

Anyone can get a free account at:

https://developer.apple.com/register/index.action

And/Or

Mac OS X Feedback

<http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

The more reports Apple gets the more likely they will address your issue.

HOWEVER, I'm sure this does not happen to everyone, and I strongly suspect Apple employees use Apple keyboards. So maybe there is something else going on with your system.

Do you happen to have another USB keyboard you can try? USB devices (or their cables) do fail from time to time.

Have you tried a different USB port?

You have replaced your disk with an SSD (I do not object, as I've done the same for 2 of my Macs), but it is a difference.

Try booting into Safe Mode (it will be a slower boot). Safe Mode should avoid starting all non-Apple additions. Now experiment with sleep/wake and see if there is any difference.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564>

Try a different newly created account (System Preferences -> Users & Groups).

If you have an external disk you can install a bootable system on, or clone your current boot disk, then set System Preferences -> Startup Disk and boot from the external. Does the behavior remain the same? Or if you really want to eliminate all possible installed software conflicts, install a clean version of Yosemite on an external disk and boot from that. See if there are any sleep/wake issues.

These are the best suggestions I can give at the moment.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 6:13 AM in response to dropadrop

BugReporter

<http://bugreporter.apple.com>

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter.

Anyone can get a free account at:

https://developer.apple.com/register/index.action

And/Or

Mac OS X Feedback

<http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

The more reports Apple gets the more likely they will address your issue.

HOWEVER, I'm sure this does not happen to everyone, and I strongly suspect Apple employees use Apple keyboards. So maybe there is something else going on with your system.

Do you happen to have another USB keyboard you can try? USB devices (or their cables) do fail from time to time.

Have you tried a different USB port?

You have replaced your disk with an SSD (I do not object, as I've done the same for 2 of my Macs), but it is a difference.

Try booting into Safe Mode (it will be a slower boot). Safe Mode should avoid starting all non-Apple additions. Now experiment with sleep/wake and see if there is any difference.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564>

Try a different newly created account (System Preferences -> Users & Groups).

If you have an external disk you can install a bootable system on, or clone your current boot disk, then set System Preferences -> Startup Disk and boot from the external. Does the behavior remain the same? Or if you really want to eliminate all possible installed software conflicts, install a clean version of Yosemite on an external disk and boot from that. See if there are any sleep/wake issues.

These are the best suggestions I can give at the moment.

Jul 2, 2015 9:33 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for the response.

The issue is the same for any of the macs own USB ports, however it seems that if I connect the keyboard to my display (has a USB hub built in) then it works.

Good point on the Apple employees using Apple keyboards, I would also find it to be very likely. I don't know if there are different revisions of this though, I think I probably got it about 5 years before the mini so it's still possible the employees don't have the same combo.

Jul 2, 2015 1:09 PM in response to dropadrop

I am also having this same problem and I use an Apple keyboard. It started with the last Beta for Yosemite 10.10.4 and is continuing but at a lesser rate now with 10.10.4. I used to also get a strange background on my login page but now it seems back to normal. I also have a MacMini, late 2012.

So it is a software problem and I will be reporting it.

Jul 3, 2015 6:01 AM in response to dropadrop

I have the same problem since 10.10.3 with my apple wireless keyboard. By me the problem is related to the IOBluetoothFamily.kext.

I have attached an external USB3 SSD.

With 10.10.3 or 10.10. beta on the internal HDD without pluged USB devices the problem will not appear.

I copied the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from "10.10.2 this still works" in 10.10.3 or 10.10.4 beta ( 10.10.4 not installed ) the problem is gone.

The problem is the IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext. You can use the complete IOBluetoothFamily.kext or

copy from IOBluetoothFamily.kext in the plugin folder only the IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext.

You must read in the net what you have to do if you install a kext.

i believe that this solution could solve your problem.

Kindly regards

P.S No problems at 10.9.5, 10.10.1 ,10.10.2

that is the reason i made a downgrade from 10.10.3 to 10.9.5. For me is mavericks more stable than yosemite

Mac mini late 2012 6.2 16GB ram

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini with a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

Logitech Performance mouse

Apple Bluetooth keyboard

Eizo EV2336 with displayport connection

Jul 3, 2015 4:00 PM in response to dropadrop

Just to adding to the list...

Mac mini (Late 2012) i7 Quad core

Just upgraded to 10.10.4

Apple keyboard (USB, not Bluetooth) doesn't respond after waking from sleep. I have to press the power button to wake the Mini and then plug the keyboard into a different USB port. I've tried all 4 ports and the wake from sleep issue happens with all 4. I've done verify disk, repair permissions, pram, blah blah all the usual stuff. Really frustrating, since there was no issue with 10.10.3.

Jul 3, 2015 9:10 PM in response to dropadrop

I'm experiencing the same symptoms on my computer following the 10.10.4 update. I'll try the switching USB ports after wake next time. Just unplugging and replugging in the same port definitely didn't help. Restarting each time is ridiculous. The update broke something.

Mac Mini (Late 2012)

2.3 GHz i7

Intel HD Graphics 4000

1.25 GB Fusion drive (250 GB SSD / 1 TB hard disk)

Apple Keyboard A1243 (aluminum w/ extended keypad)

Jul 4, 2015 8:38 AM in response to resotek

And another one here.

Late 2012 Mac Mini i7 and OSX 10.10.4, wired keyboard.

I am in conversation with Apple support, expecting a phone call this evening.

We have gone through all the usual reset stuff and total reinstall of OSX.

Me thinks there is an issue Apple needs to resolve.

I am going to ask if it's possible now to revert back to 10.10.3 which did work.

10.10.4 Keyboard not working after sleep (mac min)i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.