Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.4 battery life and overheating issue

Hello Apple

I have recently upgraded to ios 8.4 after reading that it came with new features and better performance, however, moments after the upgrade was done, I noticed that the battery dies quicker than it used to be. also when I'm making a phone call, my iPhone starts getting so hot that it makes if painful to keep holding the phone especially on the edges, I get scared that the battery might explode on my face.

I adjusted the battery usage and background apps just like they used to be on ios 8.3 any solution please?

I have iPhone 5s but it is not used much it was stored in its box until recently.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:33 PM

I am having the same issue, since I upgraded my iPhone yesterday, the phone is getting awfully hot.... Not to mention my battery I mean 25% in just 30 minutes??? Please let us make a downgrade or or better than that... fix this problem!!!

60 replies

Jul 5, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Adilon07

Battery drain and overheating is a telltale sign of a software issue.

It generally comes from crashing apps and just general software glitches.

To test this theory do a complete backup.

Also perform an icloud backup.

Restore the device in itunes and setup as new. (Dont restore from a backup)

It will restore the contacts you have backed up to icloud.

Use this for a day or so and see if the issue remains.

Jul 8, 2015 10:16 PM in response to El_Gabo

Hey, try to logoff from iCloud on your iPhone! just for testing. We are having the same issue on all three iPhones 5 and 6. After logging of from iCloud, the battery is working like a charm.... Ok, that is not a solution, but for starters a good test to identify the root cause. I´ve a open case at apple support. hopefully they will find a solution fast.

Some others confirmed, that changing the password on appleID / iCloud account solved their problem...

Restore, restore as new iPhone, restore via DFU... nothing helped. I got an brand new iPhone 6 at the genius bar. After connecting to iCloud, same behavior on new hardware...

Cheers

Jul 17, 2015 10:06 AM in response to akashyap79

Same problem here...also having problems with bluetooth and wifi connectivity. Had an appointment at the Genius Bar...they don't (or won't) recognize that there is a problem with 8.4. Actually tried to say it was a hardware problem (saying the battery was pooched and insinuating that the antenna might also be pooched). Nice try....funny how it all worked perfectly before the update.

I asked if I could be rolled back to 8.2 (in 8.3 I still had probs with bluetooth/wifi but no probs with battery) but the Genius Bar said it couldn't be done. Why won't they let me go back to a more stable version of iOS 8?

Jul 22, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Adilon07

I had the same problem, rebooted many times a day, reset all settings to no avail, etc. It 'felt' like the problems were related to the Messages App, after disabling iMessages in Settings and not replying directly to threads where my last post was an iMessage, my iPhone is no longer running hot, the battery lasts the whole day again, no more screen lockups, and my Apple Watch stopped acting wonky. What a relief! Will try iMessages again when 8.4.1 comes out.

Jul 22, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Adilon07

No heating ... but real big battery use with 2 phone calls one day while I have also had a persistent problem with the Fingerprint ID getting lost and not functioning.

Apple has a restore iOS protocol.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/restore/

My iMac USB issues and the GBs of third party software I use really makes it impossible for me to do a restore the way Apple recommends

So I made an appointment with the Apple Store Genius and asked them to put the iOS 8.4 into the iPhone and set it up as new.

The Genius Tech pushed down the 'Home' and 'On' button until the Apple USB logo came on as that procedure makes the Firmware available for update ... and then plugged the iPhone into the USB cord (only one was used) attached to a MacBook Pro 13 inch with trackpad and keyboard integrated into the computer.

Nothing else was on the USB line except for the iPhone, and only the Apple OS was on the MacBook with the iTunes working the restore to factory settings ... and lucky them, they had the iOS software there on the hard drive.

No internet connection what so ever ... only took 5 minutes and I was out the door.

Now the Fingerprint ID problem is gone .. but calling AAA emergency road service and a auto repair shop recently cost me 47% of battery life.

I did not know it took so much energy to make 2 phone calls and was shocked to make the discovery.

Anyhow .. ME doing the iOS restore at home ... did not work what so ever.

Problem persisted as it was software corruption apparently ... that I was the maker of given my own circumstances.

So that is my fix that is working fairly well for me is to have the Genius do the iOS restore ....

oh ... be sure your contacts are backup under the 'Info' setting in iTunes ... as doing the necessary re-install of the music, apps and contacts after making the factory settings restore at the Apple Store is then so much easier.

Only thing left to do after that is work the Apps for the first time ... as a new install ... and put in the information required to make them work such as my AAA membership number ... etc.

Also with the new iTunes on my iMac, it defaults to iCloud for backup when it sees the new iPhone, and for me to make backup to my computer (iMac) I have to click that specific button and then click 'Apply' for it to stay working that way, as it seems the iPhone is the one who remembers that my computer is the back up; but iTunes has to tell it so.

Jul 30, 2015 1:24 AM in response to Adilon07

My 5s is next to useless now. Overheating when I use it, battery drains at about 1% per minute if I'm using it 2% if I'm not. So its dead by lunch.

All this since 8.4.

I have re-installed numerous times - even a full wipe and restore after downloading a brand new copy of the ispw.

Fed up with resetting my phone. Pointless waste - Genius bar had nothing to offer but turn off background app refresh and ask if I'd been on the underground a lot (which is frankly idiotic, since two weeks ago, my battery lasted at least 30 hours.)

Time to sell while there's still a market and toying whether to return to Android.

This is third Apple Product I've had that has bust in under 15 months from new.

Jul 30, 2015 6:21 AM in response to cubcougar

Guys

the problem is within the usage, ive done an rca myself after posting here that i was having the same issue a couple of weeks ago, noticed that the heat and battery drain came with safari and gps activity!

So i disabled icloud for safari and backup, also icloud drive for safari and waze.

and finaly the location services set them all or all the one i could to WHILE USING.

that has improved way better the battery and also the heat. now my phone lasts more than a day using whatsapp and imessage, wifi and bt connected.

lets see if the next ios version all of these battery issues are solved by default!

Hope this helps someone

ios 8.4 battery life and overheating issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.