Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 rear camera freezing

Hi everybody,

Is anyone else having this same issue where the iPhone 5S rear camera freezes or does not respond (showing a black screen) on iOS 8.4.

The camera does not work on any of the other apps that uses the camera, such as Instagram, Whatsapp, and even iMessage.

I have tried switching the phone off and on, resetting the phone (hard reset), clean restore to no avail.

If anyone has successfully solved this issue, please do share it with me.

Thank you.

Regards,

J

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:41 AM

Hello jleen88, and Apple Community

I also have the same problem. It looks like the flashlight isn't working either.

rgrds

Den Haes

Iphone 5s, iOS 8.4

75 replies

Jul 10, 2015 10:36 PM in response to jleen88

I was hoping that updating to the iOS 9 public beta would have the potential to fix my 5s rear camera issues but NOPE 😟

Like everyone else, tried resetting and a clean restoration but NOTHING! Am starting to think that this is a hardware problem 😕

I did wake up to this issue one morning about 3 weeks ago, didn't drop it or anything. Thou I did replace my cracked screen back in Feb.

My gf has the same problem too (5s as well) and now my young brother, thou he has the new iPhone 6!!

Jul 12, 2015 3:14 PM in response to jleen88

This is very frustrating, but I believe Apple is aware of the problem, but is not owning it. It appears to be widespread. I too tried to update to iOS 9, don't do it btw, a large portion of apps don't support it yet, and it did not fix the camera issue. I wish the wizards of Cupertino would step up and help.

Has anyone gone into an Apple store for help yet??

Jul 13, 2015 2:23 AM in response to jleen88

I have since 8.4 same problem. If i can use my back cam it looks like that or more worse. But most of time cam freze up!
Same lines i get some times on front cam but not realy that often and i can use it when i turn the cam and restart the app.
My iPhone have also GPS issue (which i fixed already), it come back after i put up a new software on it.
I think 8.4 affekt some devices which were released on some week in Foxcon because it appends only few users.
Apple ignored me at Apple Store and told that they will not replace it becasue i came up there with 3 iPhone replaces which had problems.

I have another apoitment at Store next week. If i don't get replace for a working phone i will get 275€ in 2 or 1 cent coins to replace my phone...

User uploaded file

iOS 8.4 rear camera freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.