Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac-virus.info pop up

When I am on safari, I am getting a pop up saying

From "mac-virus.info":

System Alert.

Your Computer is infected with a n adware or malware causing you to see this popup.

This may happen due to obsolete virus protections.

To fix, please call system support at 860-272-4101 immediately. Please ensure you do not restart your computer to prevent data loss.

Possibility of Data & Identity theft, if not fixed immediately.

Now, I have tried cleaning my computer (not well, I am not a computer genius) with Sophos and they did not detect any threat. When the ad pops up on Safari I am unable to change the webpage and end up having to restart safari. The pop up loos official but not quite right so I looked up the number and I found that it is a scam. How do I get rid of this pop up and whatever it is doing to my Computer/Safari?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply
12 replies

Jul 11, 2015 7:09 AM in response to kimberly10606

Had you followed all those steps in that link before I posted it?

Because if not and the time stamps are correct, you did the steps in two minutes. I think it would take longer.

You might also see this thread

How do I remove Sophos Anti Virus from my iMac

See also this thread, two differing approaches

Pop up problems in Safari on OS X Yosemite!

Jul 11, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I did follow the instructions before you posted the link. I have restarted Safari many times and it continues to pop up for the past week or two every two ish days. Of course it is from a site I visited or it would not be on my computer (I do try hard to stay on safe well known sites though). I have read that it is a Scam but I don't know how to get rid of it. None of my information (which I have checked on another device) has been changed (social media and bank). I just would like the pop up to go away and it stop messing with my internet.

Jul 11, 2015 7:28 AM in response to kimberly10606

Just to be clear, when you say you've restarted Safari many times, did you hold the shift key? That tells Safari not to load any web pages from the previous session.

It isn't always enough to stay on known safe web sites. Besides creating their own bogus help sites, these people hack into web sites in order to place these scam popups to direct you there. So if it takes a while for the owner of the site to notice their site has been hacked, you'll keep seeing the popup until it's been fixed.

The only way to make them "go away" is to stop visiting the sites where they occur.

These idiots can't spell, either. It's adware, not adward.

Jul 11, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Yes... and I didn't need to hold the shift key just to restart Safari. I have quit it by force quitting, restarting my computer and right clicking Safari. I know staying on safe websites is not always enough but it is something. It also happens on different websites, not always the same one or I would not be dumb enough to continue trying to use that same website.

I did not notice that misspelling, thank you.

mac-virus.info pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.