Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 battery drain

I seem to be witnessing a drastic battery drain after the update to iOS 8.4. It's pretty bad, but I don't see anyone else talking about it.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 7:59 AM

I too am noticing Battery Life dropping off a cliff since iOS 8.4 update.

Originally, I updated OTA and it was pretty horrific. So, I backed up, restored and re-installed via iTunes update ... it's better but still nowhere near the decent performance I was getting out the Battery on 8.3.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Has anyone found a fix ?

I've got everythign tweaked in the background to minimise usuage eg. Background App Refresh Off, Frequent Locations Off etc etc.

Any help appreciated ....

119 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2015 7:59 AM in response to curly1

I too am noticing Battery Life dropping off a cliff since iOS 8.4 update.

Originally, I updated OTA and it was pretty horrific. So, I backed up, restored and re-installed via iTunes update ... it's better but still nowhere near the decent performance I was getting out the Battery on 8.3.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Has anyone found a fix ?

I've got everythign tweaked in the background to minimise usuage eg. Background App Refresh Off, Frequent Locations Off etc etc.

Any help appreciated ....

Jul 13, 2015 7:59 AM in response to curly1

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPhone and charge overnight. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your Device Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Jul 13, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Are you sure that's the case OTA vs iTunes ? Apple Support have previously given the following advices on this matter ...

" The OTA updates provide a Delta update only, while iTunes provided the whole build. Deltas include small size while whole build unpack the big file using PC or Mac. Updating via iTunes the file size is completely different. "

" If there is a problem after installing the delta update OTA, restoring the iPhone with iTunes to install the whole build for the update may resolve the problem. The most common problems are: Battery life, Wi/Fi Problem, BlueTooth Issue, or Software Bug. "

So this indicates they aren't the same ?

Jul 13, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Redski

Redski wrote:

Are you sure that's the case OTA vs iTunes ? Apple Support have previously given the following advices on this matter ...

" The OTA updates provide a Delta update only, while iTunes provided the whole build. Deltas include small size while whole build unpack the big file using PC or Mac. Updating via iTunes the file size is completely different. "

" If there is a problem after installing the delta update OTA, restoring the iPhone with iTunes to install the whole build for the update may resolve the problem. The most common problems are: Battery life, Wi/Fi Problem, BlueTooth Issue, or Software Bug. "

So this indicates they aren't the same ?

That does indicate that my contention is incorrect. Where did you get those words from?

Jul 13, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Philly_Phan

This is really old Battery Saving tips. As stated in Original Post - I've done all this (eg. Frequent Locations, Motion Tilt etc etc) and in iOS8.3 it was fine - same settings in iOS 8.4 = battery dropping off a cliff.

So, in summary - battery saving settings are same between iOS 8.3 & 8.4 for me - only variable is the iOS version and I've noticed a total change in battery Performance.

Please is someone else able to offer some more relevant / meaningful advice ?

Interested to hear if others are too experiencing a noticable difference ...

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Redski

I'm experiencing no difference in battery life between 8.3 and 8.4. Usually if you see a change in battery life it is due to some app that is stuck in a loop, frequently trying to update and failing. It can happen at any time, whether you have just updated, or not. But it seems to be more common after an update, possibly because the update suspended the app in the middle of some process, and it did not recover correctly. This is not a new issue; if you look at the forum archives you can find posts after every update that has come out in the past 7 1/2 years asking if the update is responsible for a change in battery performance.

It's a pain, but the best thing to do is to try to find the app that is misbehaving. Also, if you did an OTA update, the first step should be to redo the update using iTunes. The OTA update is a "patch" update; it just replaces parts of the code that have changed. An iTunes update downloads a complete iOS image and installs it. Sometimes this makes a difference.

Jul 17, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Redski

I will try to add some weight to this being a problem. For me. charge overnight on Apple charger, off charge around 6:30am, typical usage means battery on 30-50% when I put it back on charge around 11pm. Upgraded to 8.4. Phone dead by 4pm. Did a full recover, full install via itunes. Full charge overnight. Today I have pretty much just left the phone alone.

The usage monitor recently said:

Usage 27 mins (just looking at screens, running no apps or email etc)

Standby 3 hours 16 minutes

and I have 50% battery left!!!!!!

I had NO app updates happen. I have no looping Apps. I work in IT and am used to problem solving. The only change has been 8.3 to 8.4. I get fed up with being told it's something else.

What is Apple going to do? I have a £600 product that is now worse than useless. The only other problem I have had since 8.4 is the phone keeps saying my Apple cables and approved dock are not Apple ones!

PS 35 mins later and battery now reads 40% and phone is warm, there are no apps running, it's got a full 3g signal and full wifi.

APPLE PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THIS VERY REAL PROBLEM!

iOS 8.4 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.