Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant popup "join Wifi-network"

I suddenly am interrupted every five minutes by a popup that says on the window frame "join (name of wifi network here)".

In the window is the message

"<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Success</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>Success</BODY></HTML>"

What is wrong with my wifi network that I get this?

How can I make it go away?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 9:47 PM

In the bottom of the frame I can see this: apple.com/library/test/success.html

95 replies

Jul 14, 2015 10:39 PM in response to shamn

Looks like this is common problem.

I did a restart, which still gave me the pop-up, but at least they disappeared after the first log-in.

The problem with this pop-ups is that they interrupt wi-fi - while the pop-up is on the screen, you cannot go on the internet.

Only if you click it away internet works again.

Looks like a virus or malware.

Jul 14, 2015 11:36 PM in response to Ocean 17

I just got this pop up message too.

Just a blank window with <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Success</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>Success</BODY></HTML> and the bottom URL http://pple.com/library/test/success.html

I've been able to reproduce this on 2 different macs (work and personal) that don't share much in common. Both on my home wifi, which I've never had a problem with before.

I think this might be related to testing a "captive portal" like mentioned at https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45418/how-to-automatically-login-to-ca ptive-portals-on-os-x but I haven't configured or run anything unusual lately.

Suggestions to stop this join a network popup / captive portal that occurs every couple of minutes or so?

Screenshot attached

. User uploaded file

Jul 15, 2015 12:01 AM in response to Ocean 17

This seems like malware since interfering with communications on the computer and cannot run anything on the machine without interruption every 5 minutes. All running games are also interrupted and this is extremely annoying. However running McAffe LiveSafe 2015 on full scan on 2 year old iMac has not found anything yet though it only started a few hours ago. Apple must be getting lots of hits on the url if every internet connected device has this problem so perhaps something will be done in due course. I'm running mavericks and usually update the security updates but not updated iTunes recently. Not running an Airport base station but Apple TV occasionally used (been switched off last 12 hours). An iPod classic 160Gb was connected for synching music 15 hours ago but no other iOS devices (including iPhone) connected for several weeks. The only device kept switched on is a BT Infinity router. I'm also checking PCs for malware but nothing found. Could this be a zero day problem?

Jul 14, 2015 11:53 PM in response to Ocean 17

Seems like a similar thing has happened before. Found this from 2012, about wi-fi connection problems:

-----------------

Parisi2274
Sep 19, 2012 4:27 PM
Re: Am I the only one having ios 6 ipad 3 wi-fi issues in response to phantomette1

Here is what is going on. Ever since iOS 4(?) there has been a feature where if you connect to a WiFi network it will try to ping this site:http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

If it is a success then it lets you connect, if it is not a success the phone trys to bring up what would be a Login page for corporate wifi networks. Example, public access points that have a login page, etc.

It seems that some moron at Apple deleted the file located at http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and that is why it is not working.

This is not an iOS 6 issue but rather a problem with Apple's website.

Constant popup "join Wifi-network"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.