Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Music change my own mp3 to m4p

I have uploaded mp3 files on my iMac. They are demo's from songs so not available in the iTunes Store.

When I access my music on my Mac Book the files have changed to the album versions available within the store.

Also when I want to download my own uploaded mp3, iTunes downloads a m4p file...

How come Apple Music changes my own uploaded (demo) mp3 to the album version? And also why do they turn it into a m4p file which can only be played through iTunes?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 7:16 AM

4 replies

Jul 24, 2015 2:41 PM in response to gjhvs

Apple music is a subscription service - the files are mp4 because that includes Apple Fairplay DRM. It means when your subscription expires the files can be prevented from playing.

The files you uploaded appear to be similar enough to ones that Apple has, so it matched them to ones in the store.

I think this may help, but do a test & keep a backup of your library before you begin.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/13/how-to-fix-apple-music-drm-itunes/

Jul 25, 2015 1:15 AM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew Reece,

Oops, it didn't help. But I can live with it... On my iMac I have the original file in MP3 format.

But THIS I find strange:

On my iMac the file is 3:01 minutes long, and it plays the Demo version of the song. That'ss correct.

When I go to my Mac Book the same song is there, even with the right title but it plays the album version which is 4 minutes long!

Apple has replaced the demo file with the album version on my Mac Book...

How can that happen? I have uploaded the demo version (which is correct in iTunes on my iMac)...

Jul 25, 2015 5:04 AM in response to gjhvs

Apple fixed this problem which incorrectly downloaded your own "matched" songs from itunes match as protected apple music files:

If some songs that were previously matched by iTunes Match show up as Apple Music songs in iTunes - Apple Support

You have to update itunes to the newest version.

After that you have to delete the downloads of the incorrect songs (do not delete the song from your library!)

Then they can be downloaded as your file without drm protection again.

For me it did not work at first but after log out from apple id in itunes and relogin songs were redownloaded correctly as my own without .m4p drm protection

Redownload songs stay Apple Music DRM protected

Here i explained how to find all wrong downloaded songs:

How do you tell which songs were downloaded incorrectly?

I hope that solves your problem.

Regards

Julius

Why does Apple Music change my own mp3 to m4p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.