Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I resize images in photos?

I understand how to locate the Edit function to change images, but how do I resize images in photos?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:55 AM

45 replies

Jun 13, 2017 4:00 AM in response to LarryHN

I am running into this same "problem", which apparently isn't a problem but Apple's choice. I tend to believe that it would be nice if you could resize within Photos (so without exporting). May be it could be possible for Apple to make an option where it saves re-sized files in a separate album, while still keeping the original file as well. This way, you can still work within the same program and upload images to webpages etc. directly from Photos, without compromising the "non-destructiveness" of Photos.

May 11, 2017 8:20 PM in response to JRoscoe

Best guess is that some time in the past you imported an old iPhoto library (which you never should do) ad kept the thumbnails from the mess of duplicates you created - when you upgrade iPhoto or Photos there is never any importing involved - just opening old libaries so they can be upgraded

Another possibility is that you have used Malwear like CleanMyMac of your system which often destroyed iPhoto and Photos libraries - cleaning programs like CCM are not needed on a Mac and should never be used

And if you want to discuss this more you should start your own thread with details on your system and situation since your issue is totally different than the point of this thread - see Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

LN

Aug 15, 2017 9:35 AM in response to LarryHN

Hmm, strange. I have 40 GB space left and all my SLR (from Nikon 5500) are left out of the icloud. Only my iPhone images are synchronized. So I am missing 900 pictures. I was referring to the following info on iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, and MP4, as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos. You can even share your Memory videos. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

The pictures are visible in photos on my iMac though.

Aug 15, 2017 4:17 PM in response to svdm_mac

Ok - most likely those1064 photos are referenced which do not sync to ICPL - one of many reasons that referenced libraries are not a good idea with Photos -- Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

To verify make two new smart albums (file menu ==> new smart album)

1 - Photo - is - referenced -- this probably will have 1064 photos in it which will not sync to ICPL

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library -- this probably will be empty

LN

May 11, 2017 6:26 PM in response to eliasfromfreiburg

Maybe you can help? I'm looking at digital photos taken at least 10 years ago and since my Mac is relatively new this means my iPhoto libraries have been imported to new computers several times now, for what it's worth. When I double click on the (jpeg) image from my library, it never expands in size to larger than a big postage stamp. When I look at the info on the photos it says "no camera information, no lens information, 240 x 180 22KB"

A good many of my old photos are in this situation in the library. What gives? I definitely did not shoot them in low resolution. They seem like 'dumbed down' thumbnails of the originals, which I do not see anywhere.

And following your instructions above, they cannot be expanded in size.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide - thanks

Aug 13, 2017 9:03 PM in response to Community User

Missifu wrote:

What I see is for resizing is as the Custom options are only in pixels and I need more measurements. Any solutions?
Thank you Tenisball50 or any one! 🙂

What "more measurements" do you need? Basically digital photos only have pixels as measurements - what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Pretty much everything has been covered in this thread

LN

Aug 13, 2017 10:02 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi LarryHN
Thank you for answering! I was aiming to use inches and keep proportions like I did in my Photoshop program. When I look all I find is pixels and Small, Med.. etc... is there more nuance somewhere hidden? 😁

Aug 15, 2017 9:09 AM in response to Tennisball50

I fully understand his problem. If you use a professional SLR you are easily beyond the horizontal pixel limit of 2048 horizontal pixels iCloud can handle. So all the SLR images are not synced into iCloud.... So there is an issue. You should have an import option (or even automatically) that resizes the images to the max size iCloud can handle. I keep the originals anyhow outside of Photos to keep full control over it.

Aug 15, 2017 9:27 AM in response to svdm_mac

the horizontal pixel limit of 2048 horizontal pixels iCloud can handle.

That is incorrect - there is no size limit for photos using iCloud

If you share photos using iCloud Photo Sharing there is a limit on photo size (since it is a free service it has restrictions) but not for iCloud overall - iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library have no size limits and you pay for the storage you use

LN

Aug 15, 2017 10:15 AM in response to svdm_mac

And that is exactly as I stated - there are many iCloud services and the free iCloud Photo Sharing service does have limits - No other iCloud service has a limit since you pay for the storage used for all other services

If you share photos using iCloud Photo Sharing there is a limit on photo size (since it is a free service it has restrictions) but not for iCloud overall - iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library have no size limits and you pay for the storage you use

As to your problem to get help you need to provide details - what iCloud service(s) are you using

LN

Aug 15, 2017 3:45 PM in response to svdm_mac

You should have an import option (or even automatically) that resizes the images to the max size iCloud can handle.

This would break the core feature that the original is not every altered in any way.

I keep the originals anyhow outside of Photos to keep full control over it.

That's fine for you if you wish, but the target user for this app is someone who wants simplicity.

how do I resize images in photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.