Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to increase CPU priority for AirPlay on MacBook Pro (audio stream stutters)

I've noticed that the audio stream over airplay from macbook pro (2015 Q2 13") to apple tv stutters when the macbook has to use its CPU a little bit more than when idle. This doesn't happen when I stream to a non-apple airplay receiver, so thats kind of strange. But the stuttering of audio is directly related to the activity on my macbook. So I was wondering if there is any way to give more priority to the airplay streaming process of the macbook. Which process is that and how can I set the prio to highest?

Apple tv is connected to the network via cable, macbook via wifi (it's not a wifi issue).

Blowing off some steam:

By the way, mirroring display with macbook pro via apple tv is completely useless, feels like cheap chinese crap these apple products... Same goes for bluetooth and wifi issues in Yosemite 😢, I wonder if there are users of these apple products where everything works like it should.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 8:53 AM

6 replies

Aug 2, 2015 12:36 PM in response to jaronaz

additional information:

-------------------

- audio stutters or even stops for a while when I connect macbook pro to WIRELESS network and play audio through apple tv (3rd gen), only when being active on macbook pro/cpu increases.

- audio does NOT stutter when I connect macbook pro to WIRELESS network and play audio through non-apple airplay receiver (sitecom), even with extra activity/more cpu load.

- audio does NOT stutter when I connect macbook pro to WIRED network and play audio through apple tv (3rd gen), even with extra activity/more cpu load.

Very strange, maybe it's a bug on apple tv?

Does anyone have a tip or fix for this problem? I've already disabled WMM on router.

Aug 2, 2015 1:04 PM in response to jaronaz

Turning off spotlight through system preferences does seem to help a bit, as found in this thread: yosemite airplay video and audio stutter

Edit: no it does not really help, but I can easily test if the stuttering is still there just by pressing cmd-space (open spotlight search) and the audio stream breaks into million pieces... maybe have to wait for a fix from apple. By the way iOS (iphone5s/ipad mini) streams perfect to apple tv.

Aug 11, 2015 11:34 AM in response to niknovo

Thanx, I tried it but is does not resolve the issue. I'll try to reset the apple tv to factory settings, like explained here Airplay audio stutters from Yosemite, video remains unusable. and re-apply the wifi-fixes http://blogs.smartertools.com/2014/10/31/a-fix-for-yosemite-wi-fi-issues/

I noticed that stuttering/choppy playback is not CPU related, but related to network activity.

How to increase CPU priority for AirPlay on MacBook Pro (audio stream stutters)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.