Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos appearing pixelated

Hi,

Hoping someone can help with this... or can Apple please explain why this is a problem and when are they likely to resolve it.

My iPhotos library transferred successfully to the new Photos app... and I have also imported brand new photo's from my camera into Photos app.

Every single photo appears blurred and not the sharp image I expect from my SLR. When I zoom in on a photo, it appears pixelated at first and then corrects itself. I then zoom out and the photo appears as it should and no longer blurry\pixelated. If I close the application and go back to the photos i've just looked at... the problem reoccurs and i'm having to zoom in and out again.

I review loads of photos regularly and delete rubbish ones... and having to zoom in and out for the image to appear properly is really frustrating.

Has anyone experienced this problem and do you have a fix for it ?

... and does anyone else find the name of this new app annoying as well ?? Trying to search for fixes online when the name is simply 'Photos', makes it difficult to find what you're looking for 😟

** I have a macbook pro and everything else works as it should and fast with no issues.

Mich

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2015 4:17 PM

31 replies

Aug 13, 2015 4:48 PM in response to michm82

In photos preferences you see an option to optimise the library. Optimised photos need to download before they show properly and can look pixelated or blurry whilst downloading. Alternatively, this can also happen with very large photos that aren't optimised. Although in both cases, it's usually resolved with time alone, it shouldn't require you to zoom in and out.

Aug 13, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks again for quick responses. This issue is really bugging me. Appreciate both your help.

Why would i need to repair my library, when i have just migrated over from iPhotos to Photos. Having to do this so soon gives me no confidence with this application and how it is handling my photos.

Does this not sound like an issue with the actual application rather than an issue with my library?

Also, I have just recently reformatted my macbook and upgraded to Yosemite. Before reformatting, Photos app had this issue. After reformatting, the issue still remains.

After reformatting and upgrading, I reimported the photos library and it ran a repair when importing them in. So it's recently ran a repair.

Any other suggestions?

Aug 14, 2015 8:14 AM in response to michm82

That tells us it's essentially system wide. The next step would be to reinstall Photos which would require a reinstallation of the system. Since 10.10.5 was officially released yesterday I suggest you install 10.10.5 followed by a repair of disk permissions. Then try again.

You could go back to using iPhoto if you were using any version of iPhoto 9 before converting to Photos. iPhoto was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's instructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Feb 20, 2016 2:42 PM in response to michm82

@michm82, I hope you get notified about my reply here because I'm literally dying to know if you ever managed to solve this issue... I am fighting with the exact same situation you described in your first post.

I have been using Photos.app since shortly after it was released and I've never had a single issue with it. I have about 16.000 photos stored in the app, as well as in the cloud - 99% of them photos I shot with my iPhone(s) during the last couple of years, and the whole system works flawlessly for me.

About a week ago I bought my first SLR camera and started to notice the blurry-preview-issue - the photos are just not as sharp as they should be when I view them within Photos.app. When I zoom in on the photo, I can see how the preview is "correcting itself", like michm82 said, and when I zoom back out the photo is perfectly sharp. But as soon as I go do something else and then come back to the photo later, I have to do the whole zoom-in-zoom-out routine all over again... it's sooooo frustrating! I finally have a great camera and now I can't view my photos in the app where I store them, I have to view them in Finder with Quicklook :-(

To be clear though, the previews are not like totally blurry, it's more subtle - someone with bad eye sight might not even notice the difference, but I saw it immediately. I played around with making screenshots of the preview before zooming in and afterwards and the difference is quite obvious when comparing the two. The initial preview looks like a heavily scaled down version.

I just wanted to add that my photos are 100% sharp - I trash all the slightly blurry ones immediately after copying them from the SD card. I don't use the "optimize" setting, so the pictures stored in Photos.app's Masters folder are the full size (completely sharp) original versions.

Also, I am pretty sure that nothing "broke" in Photos.app since I got my SLR, nothing changed on my system at all - it's just that I never had a "real" camera and only ever stored iPhone-photos in Photos.app, that's probably why I never noticed the issue before. But now that I have these super-sharp SLR photos, the problem is extremely frustrating.

@michm82, I would really appreciate any advice you can give me...

Cheers,

Anna

Feb 20, 2016 3:01 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the suggestion, Old Toad! Actually I did try that, but sadly it does not work. Only a zoom to the max size (200%) and back manages to correct the display issue.

I also should say that I did check some of my recent iPhone photos and the issue is (very slightly) noticeable there too if I make screenshots and compare the preview before and after zooming in. I can see a difference in sharpness if I look really, really closely, but iPhone photos are not as sharp to begin with, so it's negligible.

Photos appearing pixelated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.