Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4.1 overheating and battery life

my new iPhone has been updated to the latest release of ios but can't use it much as it overheats and the betters life is shorter

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 3:53 PM

38 replies

Aug 16, 2015 10:39 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hello pariasmarcel & Philly_Phan,

I am having the same issues as pariasmarcel.

I am do not know how get the diagnostic for the temperature - but it is extremely warm but not at a heat that burns.

As to battery life, the battery drains from 100% to 14% in just over an hour without any use. (I had WiFi and Blutooth on, am and testing again without Bluetooth on).

Iphone 6 Plus iOS 8.4.1

Aug 17, 2015 12:34 AM in response to Chandan P

Hi. Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life: https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

Aug 17, 2015 6:03 AM in response to ozdazza

ozdazza wrote:

As to battery life, the battery drains from 100% to 14% in just over an hour without any use. (I had WiFi and Blutooth on, am and testing again without Bluetooth on).

Iphone 6 Plus iOS 8.4.1

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPhone and charge overnight. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your Device Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Aug 17, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Hello Thunderzzz & Philly_Phan,

Thank you for all the tips. It is great to get such support from fellow users. That is why I like the Apple community so much ... even when Apple's hardware and software play up one at times.

I followed a mixture both of your tips, but at a simpler level, and it seems that my issue is resolved. 🙂

I did a basic troubleshoot.

1. Stopped ALL background apps. (I was surprised I had sooooo many open!)

2. I then charged my iPhone to 91% (not 100% as I needed to use the iPhone for work) using the electrical adapter (i.e. not plugged into the computer).

3. I then held the home and right-side power button to till I saw the Apple logo appear.

4. The iPhone rebooted and then I turned on my iPhone.

5. I have had my iPhone on for 7.8 hours with WiFi and Bluetooth on as well as light use sending a few emails and taking a couple of calls. In 7.8 hours, the battery percentage has dropped only from 91% to 81%! That is only a drop of 10% percentage points for almost 8 hours! 🙂

It "feels" like I have the same battery usage as before or even better.

I think I will also take your advice and let the iPhone drain of its battery charge completely to give it a full cycle.

Thank you again! 🙂

Cheers! 🙂

Darren

Aug 25, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Matbrun

I'm disinclined to think this has anything to do with physical hardware as this wasn't a problem until I performed the software update late last week. But anything is possible.

Following all of the steps outlined above, including reset of settings from the Settings app, have done nothing. Last night I went to bed with the phone charged at 100% from the AC outlet. I woke up this morning to a dead phone. That hasn't happened once in the almost 2 years that I've owned it.

This is the log from this morning. By the way, the phone managed to go from 58% charged to 22% charged in about an hour while sitting on my desk doing nothing.

I find it interesting that Apple Music shows up in this log, considering I just had another issue to deal with over here : Apple Music keeps asking me to sign up when I already have!

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2015 6:04 AM in response to pariasmarcel

I Installed IOS 8.4.1 a few days ago. My battery life is waaay down. My iPhone 6 gets very hot to the touch, to the point that I'm actually afraid to put it in my pocket. I haven't added any apps or changed any settings since the update. I've closed all of the apps by swiping them , and recycled the power, but nothing seems to help.

If I look under General/Usage/Battery Usage it reports that the mail app has been using the most power 33% in the last 24 hours. Under last 7 days the mail app reports 6%.

I Have an iPad which seems to be behaving similarly after the IOS update, but not nearly as bad.

THeres definitly some some bad power settings on IOS 8.4.1 That Apple needs to fix.

Aug 26, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Philly_Phan

you should probably reset your settings i had this problem on my iphone 5s. try this:

1. Settings > general > reset >reset all settings

2. Settings > privacy > Diagnostics & usage > Diagnostics & usage Data. try to delete the app most listed and not useful

if not solved then erase all.

Iphone overheat if:

1. your network is low

2.you are on 3G

3.plugged on charge and being used

you should check that you have a great network and a good 3G of wifi connection

iOS 8.4.1 overheating and battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.