Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 10 does not show iphone 6 in windows explorer

After I updated to windows 10 64 bit, windows explorer stopped showing my iphone 6 in Windows Explorer under this PC.

I only use it to transfer my photos from the iphone to my computer.

I checked to see if the iphone was listed as a device in the control panel and it is and under conected devices it shows both my Apple Iphone and Apple mobile device USB driver

Does this mean we cannot transfer photos to our computer anymore using windows 10 64 bit?

thank you for any advice

robert

iPhone, iOS 8.1, itunes 12

Posted on Aug 16, 2015 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 5:21 AM

Hello Robert!

I see you have updated to a Windows 10 (64Bit), and this is not allowing your iPhone 6 to be shown in Windows Explorer/File Explorer right?

Understanding why you can't connect your iPhone 6 to Windows 10 (64Bit)

You still can transfer photos to your computer even if it is Windows 10, (64Bit).

That's not the problem.

The problem is, sometimes the iOS of your iPhone has a hard time establishing a connection with Microsoft's Windows (since it is both different platforms all together), and this results quite often with bugs and errors. One of the most common bugs faced being where you can't connect your iPhone to show up on the Windows PC (Even I was where you are right now)

Solution (Reinstalling Driver)

Here are the five steps

Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your PC

Step 2: Search Box (Bottom-Left), Type and Open Device Manager, and Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

Step 3: Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you will see Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. Double-click it to open its Properties

Step 4: Go to the Driver tab and Uninstall the driver

Step 5: Disconnect your iPhone, and Connect it again (Windows 10 will search and download the driver again)

Alternative Method (Reinstalling iTunes)

Step 1: Uninstall iTunes. Go to Apple’s website and Install iTunes again

Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your PC

Step 3: Open Device Manager, and Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

Step 4: Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you will see Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. Double-click it to open its Properties

Step 5: Go to the Driver tab and Update the driver

Alternative Method (Installing Windows updates)

Try installing the following two updates.

(Please choose to download the correct version according to your own operating system.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229

If you still can't get it, you can always try messaging your problem to Saint, via Snapchat (You can take a picture/snap of your problem, and they will solve it for you.)

Add Saint on Snapchat (Username: saintlad)

Sources

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 5:21 AM in response to robertangelini

Hello Robert!

I see you have updated to a Windows 10 (64Bit), and this is not allowing your iPhone 6 to be shown in Windows Explorer/File Explorer right?

Understanding why you can't connect your iPhone 6 to Windows 10 (64Bit)

You still can transfer photos to your computer even if it is Windows 10, (64Bit).

That's not the problem.

The problem is, sometimes the iOS of your iPhone has a hard time establishing a connection with Microsoft's Windows (since it is both different platforms all together), and this results quite often with bugs and errors. One of the most common bugs faced being where you can't connect your iPhone to show up on the Windows PC (Even I was where you are right now)

Solution (Reinstalling Driver)

Here are the five steps

Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your PC

Step 2: Search Box (Bottom-Left), Type and Open Device Manager, and Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

Step 3: Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you will see Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. Double-click it to open its Properties

Step 4: Go to the Driver tab and Uninstall the driver

Step 5: Disconnect your iPhone, and Connect it again (Windows 10 will search and download the driver again)

Alternative Method (Reinstalling iTunes)

Step 1: Uninstall iTunes. Go to Apple’s website and Install iTunes again

Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your PC

Step 3: Open Device Manager, and Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

Step 4: Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you will see Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. Double-click it to open its Properties

Step 5: Go to the Driver tab and Update the driver

Alternative Method (Installing Windows updates)

Try installing the following two updates.

(Please choose to download the correct version according to your own operating system.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229

If you still can't get it, you can always try messaging your problem to Saint, via Snapchat (You can take a picture/snap of your problem, and they will solve it for you.)

Add Saint on Snapchat (Username: saintlad)

Sources

Oct 24, 2017 4:09 AM in response to robertangelini

So, my computer was seeing the iPhone 6 sometimes but when I went into its internal storage it was saying there wasn’t any files, which is bull, I have over 15gig of photos and videos.

Read the forum, tried re-installing the Apple mobile driver as most said this would work. I unplugged my iPhone, restarted my pc and yeah, Apple, congratulations you have broken my pc. It turns on, it doesn’t boot up, it doesn’t evem get the bios started.

I know your companies are rivals but this is a little rediculous! You have to accept that Apple users are also going to have pc computers and regardless if you like it or not they need to be compatible and not break when a driver is installed. To say i’m Furious at this point is a bit of an understatement!!!

Aug 16, 2015 6:50 AM in response to robertangelini

Robert, it should still work. If you don't see your phone in Explorer I would reboot your PC first and reconnect to check. If that does not work:

Open Windows Explorer

Go to the Music folder

Right click on your iTunes folder

Go to Properties and uncheck the Read Only option under Attributes and Apply.

If the issue persists, just ensure that you have full control on the iTunes folder. Right-click on the iTunes folder again > select properties > security and click edit > full control and then click apply.

If that still does not work go back to Control Panel, Open Device Manager, and under USB find your phone. Right click it and hit Uninstall. Then close Device Manager and Control Panel, Reboot your PC and then connect again to allow W10 to reinstall the drivers. Hopefully that should work although I have heard reports of drivers not being fully updated yet since W10 just came out. As you can imagine, there is likely to be some foot dragging by the "fruit" company. LOL... Also today there was a release of a new iTunes version, 12.2.2 and that is likely to contain further updates and/or drivers. Install that....

Hopefully the above helped you..... 🙂

Jul 15, 2016 1:48 AM in response to robertangelini

Windows 10 64-bit Version 1511

iPhone 6S 64gb, iTunes 12.4

There is another solution that works for me.

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.

2. Right click Apple iPhone and click Troubleshoot.

3. It should say "Windows found a fix. Enable iPhone".

4. After the fix is applied, the iPhone should appear in explorer.

This is how Isolved my instance of iPhone not appearing in explorer. I had iTunes running in the background, with iPhone already showing up in iTunes. I just couldn't access photos on my iPhone.

Aug 7, 2016 10:10 AM in response to robertangelini

Windows 10 has two different drivers that work with the iPhone. You must manually switch the active driver in Device Manager.

The first driver is the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver", which grants functionality with iTunes for synching. This driver is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers for 64 bit systems.

The second driver is Microsoft's "MTP USB Device", which adds the iPhone as a standard removable drive in Windows Explorer.

User uploaded file

I switch between drivers by hand as needed. With iCloud backup handling regular full-phone backups, I typically recommend leaving the MTP driver active to leverage manual photo backup, then just switch to the Apple driver as-needed to perform manual backups or iOS updates. Hope this helps; none of the other suggestions I'd reviewed helped to explain or resolve this.

Jason

Oct 10, 2016 4:40 PM in response to twillux

Thanks Jason for your explanation. Your instructions gave me just what I needed to fix the problem.

I have added specific steps which worked for me, hopefully this will be helpful to someone else who is looking for step-by-step instructions:

1. Launch the Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers

User uploaded file

2. Right-click Apple Mobile Device USB driver and select Update driver software

User uploaded file

3. Click the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer,
select MTP USB Device and click Next

User uploaded file

Hopefully you will see the following message and the iPhone will show up as a mapped drive.

User uploaded file

Oct 19, 2016 3:18 AM in response to twillux

This works for me as well. I only recently started having the problem so I think something changed in Windows or iOS.

BUT - this is wholly unsatisfactory for ordinary iPhone users to have to switch drivers in Windows depending on whether they want to see their iPhone in Windows Explorer or iTunes. The vast majority of people will not know they have to do this or how to do it. Someone at Apple or Microsoft needs to sort that out PDQ!

windows 10 does not show iphone 6 in windows explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.