Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Win 10 wake problems on Macbook Pro

I haven't paid too much attention to this, since I don't boot into Windows terribly often, but I noticed that if I allow my Macbook Pro to go to sleep while booted into Windows 10, I cannot wake it back up. This also occurred when I had Windows 8.1 installed prior to cleanly installing Windows 10. Note that I have attempted using both the macbook's keyboard, a wireless keyboard with USB dongle and an apple wireless keyboard/magic trackpad. None of these seem to wake the machine at all. I checked all input devices and all are set to wake the computer. Short of disabling sleep, which I don't want to do, I am out of ideas as to what could be causing it. Each time, I have to completely reboot the machine by holding the power button to get back into it. I should note that I have only allowed the laptop to sleep while the lid is closed, so I cannot confirm if this happens with the lid open--however, I have Windows configured to not sleep if I close the lid on both power and battery. Any thoughts into this issue are very much welcome.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 8:52 PM

25 replies

Sep 9, 2017 7:54 PM in response to amrobx

Here's what worked for me...

(Apple OS X 10.12 Sierra, Bootcamp, & Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)

1. Made sure Bootcamp's start-up disc was set identically through both the Mac Bootcamp manager application as well as the Windows Bootcamp Control Panel. I set mine to Windows on both platform.
  2. The Windows platform clock needs to be reset. Follow the instructions in this Microsoft forum post:

Microsoft Community See the 2nd post from Senator949 on August 13, 2015, beginning with "And the fix is:"

Instructions are reproduced here in case the links/threads get messed up over time.

1. Open a Commnad Prompt window

(Run as Administrator by right-clicking on the executable)

and enter the following command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> bcdedit /set

useplatformclock true

2. Verify that useplatformclock is on/true. (Run the following below and check that the result is listed as useplatformclock Yes)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit/enum

Screen returns the following. Scroll to the lower section and confirm useplatformclock Yes

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

useplatformclock Yes

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

3. Restart the computer then test the SLEEP function.

Aug 23, 2015 9:14 AM in response to amrobx

Hi!

Same Problem here...MacMini late2012...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Powercfg /availablesleepstates
Die folgenden Standbymodusfunktionen sind auf diesem System verfügbar:
Ruhezustand -> Sleep -> supported
Schnellstart -> Quickstart -> supported

Die folgenden Standbymodusfunktionen sind auf diesem System nicht verfügbar:
Standby (S1)
Die Systemfirmware unterstützt diesen Standbystatus nicht.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Standby (S0 Niedriger Energiestand – Leerlauf)
Dieser Standbyzustand wird von der Systemfirmware nicht unterstützt.

Hybrider Standbymodus
Standby (S3) ist nicht verfügbar.

Standbymodes not supported,Systemfirmware does not Support S,S2,S3,S50...

Some Workaround out there?

Aug 30, 2015 8:44 AM in response to amrobx

Same problem here. The only difference is that I use windows more extensively for professional purposes.

A couple additional info if anyone can help. Apparently having your default startup disks on windows and mac os x causes some problems, but both point to my windows partition in my case. Also, my trackpad still clicks while in sleep mode, so force touch is still active. The only way I've found to restart my computer is to completely kill it by holding the power button and start over.

Windows 10 pro, upgraded from windows 8.1 pro

Bootcamp 6.0.

Latest versions of all of the above.

Richard

Sep 8, 2015 10:33 AM in response to amrobx

Has anyone found any solution for this? It renders the Macbook completely unsuable under Windows. I have not shut down my Macbook in months on OS X, always just shut the lid and it went to sleep. On Windows I have to close all my apps, shut it down and then boot it uo and open everything again EVERY single time I would normally just shut the lid (which is approx. 50 times per day). It's like having to jump-start your car every single time you want to use it. Absolutely unusable... :-(

Sep 9, 2015 7:41 PM in response to amrobx

This problem on my mid-2015 retina MacBook Pro (with AMD R9 M370X Graphiscs) bothers me almost a month. I've called apple support twice and the only thing they can tell is to download the Bootcamp software again form you Bootcamp assistant and reinstall it on your windows. But it's useless. When I called Apple again, they told me that they will record this problem and contact with Microsoft or some Apple department. They thought a graphics driver update may fix this problem. But Apple didn't tell me when. I've registered Cortana and used Microsoft Account as peterthegreat657 did, it's useless too. If your want to avoid this issue, please turn off the auto-sleep mode on your Windows 10 until they fix this problem. P.S. This problem may cause another: when your MacBook Pro is sleeping, it will be very hot too.

Boot Camp Win 10 wake problems on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.