Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the apple pencil work on ipad air 2

I purchased an ipad air 2 for drawing but found that there are hardly any pressure sensitive stylus that work with it. Does anyone have any idea if the new apple pencil for the ipad pro will work for ipad air 2?

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 2:03 PM

126 replies

Jun 3, 2017 6:08 PM in response to KimberleeMS

The answer is it depends. While the Apple Pencil for iPad Pro will work with iPad, iPad 2, The New iPad, iPad with Retina Display, iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and iPad 2017, the features such as palm rejection, shading will not work. You would simply use the Apple Pencil as you would with a normal stylus. You would also require an iPad Pro in order to charge te pencil, as only the iPad Pro lightning connector has both power output and input.

Jun 3, 2017 6:37 PM in response to Luka_Fon

I do not believe that the Apple Pencil works, even as a passive, capactive stylus on any other iPads or iDevices other than the 12.9 and 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro models.

In order for a run of the mill capacitive to work, it needs to be made out of aluminum to help conduct the electrical impulses from your fingers/fingertips.

The Apple pencil is made of plastic, not metal.

So, I really think the Apple Pencil doesn't work, AT ALL, with any other iPads models other than the Pro models.

The only active, smart Bluetooth stylus that WILL work on just about every iPad, except the iPad 2, and more current iPod Touch and iPhone models is the Adonit Pixel smart Bluetooth stylus.

Found here.

http://www.adonit.net/jot/pixel/

Jun 4, 2017 5:43 AM in response to Luka_Fon

Luka_Fon wrote:

The answer is it depends. While the Apple Pencil for iPad Pro will work with iPad, iPad 2, The New iPad, iPad with Retina Display, iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and iPad 2017, the features such as palm rejection, shading will not work. You would simply use the Apple Pencil as you would with a normal stylus. You would also require an iPad Pro in order to charge te pencil, as only the iPad Pro lightning connector has both power output and input.

No, you are incorrect. I have an iPad Pro and an Air 2 and I can assure you, the Apple Pencil does nothing, nothing at all, on any iPad other than the Pro.

Oct 17, 2017 1:51 PM in response to KimberleeMS

I stumbled on this "old" thread, and it certainly has a lot of interesting posts. I seem to remember hearing that Steve Jobs once said of the iPhone (or was it the Apple Pencil), "If you need a stylus, you've already failed." That being said, I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Apple Pencil tomorrow to use on my iPad Pro 10.5".

(I'm wondering if Steve Jobs made that quote prior to the popularity of apps for note taking, sketching, etc.)

Sep 9, 2015 9:16 PM in response to Allan Eckert

How do we know the technology in the iPad Air 2 isn't the same as in the Pro? Maybe that's the reason no pressure-sensitive stylus like Wacoms or Jot touches work with the new Air 2 screen. We do know that Apple "changed the touch technology" in the Air 2. Who's to say it didnt get the Pro tech first, or at least a precursor to the tech in the Pro?

Sep 9, 2015 10:48 PM in response to bobseufert

We also know this:
"Due to the new touch sensor on iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 and updates to iOS 8, users have experienced poor performance from the Intuos Creative Stylus 2 and Bamboo Stylus fineline." -Wacom Support

http://community.wacom.com/en/inspiration/blog/2014/november/bamboo-stylus-finel ine-and-intuos-creative-stylus-2-compati…

and this:

The iPad Air 2 was released with a brand new screen technology. Developers weren’t aware of the effects of this hardware change until the iPad Air 2 was released to the world. The change has caused some interference with both fingers and styluses interacting with the screen. Unfortunately, this especially affects active (Bluetooth-connected) styluses. The entire stylus industry is working hard to correct the issue." -Adonit Support

http://www.adonit.net/blog/archives/2014/11/19/improvements-underway-ipad-air-2/

Sep 10, 2015 3:04 AM in response to KimberleeMS

I would highly reccommend the Pencil by 53 as an alternative to the apple pencil. It has many features such as palm rejection, surface pressure, erase and blend and and works with Works on iPad 3, 4, Air (all), mini (all), and iPhone 4S and above. However, the apple pencil is designed with a hard tip which allows for a more natural expression of your sketches, and the Pencil by 53 tip can wear out depending on use.

Will the apple pencil work on ipad air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.