Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express extending extreme network causes printer access problem

After installing an airport express to extend an airport extreme network, the printer began to fail. Unplugging the express solves the problem.

Apparently the computers using the printer have to be using the same device .. i.e. if the printer chooses the extreme and the computers are on the express, printing fails. (Printer is a Brother multifunction with wifi)

Possibilities:

- A configuration problem? The extreme may block some traffic? The printer apparently uses bonjour for discovery. I could easily make the printer have a fixed IP but would that help?

- A SSID problem? Unfortunately the current AirPort Utility makes advanced configuration of the express very minimal. So I apparently can't give the express its own SSID, it has to have the same name as the express .. and alas can't use the Extreme "guest" network. Is there a way to assign a different SSID to the express?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 11, 2015 9:33 AM

5 replies

Sep 11, 2015 11:42 AM in response to backspaces

I had the same problem with my wireless HP printer...and it was SSID problem. Duplicate SSID's from two or more AirPort routers, it cannot handle. Mine only connects using 2.4Ghz, so the 5Ghz name, if named separately is no issue.

You should be able to change the Network Name within the AirPort Express, using AirPort Utility. Open Utility, click on the Express, then Edit, go to the Wireless Tab (if using a Mac) then change the Network Name to whatever you want. Adding just one letter or number to what you have now is enough to solve the duplicate SSID problem some printers seem to have.

Sep 12, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Mike's Pad

Well, I tried it but it resulted in an error while updating the Express:

- Factory reset Express

- In the wifi menu bar dropdown, click on Airport Express under New Airport Base Station

- This pops up the AirPort Utility, with: This AirPort Express will be setup to extend AirDede (the SSID of the primary, non-Guest, Extreme network)

- Click "Next" .. which then configures the Express to extend the primary SSID of the Extreme .. message "Setup Complete"

- Click "Done", which now shows the Express extending the Extreme

- Click the Express Edit button, click the Wireless tab, and change the Network Name from AirDede to AirExpress

- AirPort Utility shows "updating" for a couple of minutes, then "An error occurred" message.

There're several images below of the steps taken. Any ideas of how I may have gone wrong?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Sep 12, 2015 10:54 AM in response to backspaces

More info: I even tried this while using AirGuest, our Extreme Guest SSID, but it automatically switched back to AirDede (I was hoping to just extend the Guest SSID, but no go)

These threads may be of help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5215624

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7049393

..both of which focus on extending Guest. My AirPorts appear up to date:

Extreme: MC340LL, A1354; 4th generation; 7.6.4 firmware

Express: MC414LL, A1392; new, current generation

Options appear to be:

- Fix the AirDede transparency problem somehow, either at the printer or via configuring the Extreme/Express somehow.

- Fix the Express to have a separate SSID while extending AirDede (figure out what went wrong above)

- Extend the Extreme's Guest network, the threads above suggest its possible and would solve my iPad/bedroom problem.

- Configure Extreme's primary SSID to use one SSID for 2.4Ghz, another for 5Ghz. This seems a bit extreme, but is an option.

- Give up, put printer on Guest and just switch to Guest for printing. Sigh!

In the two Guest threads, it says to factory reset the Extreme first .. maybe doing that would solve my problems somehow?

Sep 12, 2015 3:50 PM in response to backspaces

I'm not picking up on anything you are doing wrong. Sometimes though, you need to power everything down, then bring all the network devices up sequentially, starting with the modem.

Lets do that...

Power all devices down and let all that rest for a few minutes.

Then bring the modem back up, wait for a good status light and let that be for a minute or two.

Then power up the Time Capsule and wait for the green light.

Checkpoint #1: At this stage let me know if you get the green light and a WiFi signal from it.

Then power up the Express and perform a Factory Default Reset

Factory Default reset (using reset button)

If the device isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

• Disconnect the base station's power cord.
  • Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds. This may take two people to accomplish.

• The important point there is to get that quick flashing amber lamp. If you don't get it, you've missed it and need to start over.

After the quick flashing lamp, it should change to a slow flash and usually setup begins automatically. Wait at this point as it can take a few minutes to complete.

Checkpoint #2 So you get a green lamp at this point, and a WiFi signal?

If so proceed one more time within Airport Utility to change the Expresses Wireless name

Sep 13, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Mike's Pad

Whoa! My printer just did an odd thing, possibly due to my downloading the latest drivers.

1 - I decided to, for the moment, just do the default extension which caused the initial problem

2 - Naturally the printer didn't work, due to our computers apparently switching to the Express

3 - BUT, after a bit, I fussed with it a bit and it eventually started to work: scanner, ink supplies and printing!

4 - Why? Well it simply automatically switched from AirPrint to CUPs, which apparently works

5 - So I'll stick with this fix for a couple of days, as long as it works.

6 - I'll get back to you shortly to let you know if it works.

Configuration/administration ., the bane of complex systems!

airport express extending extreme network causes printer access problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.